Audio speaker ampliier option - what is Invert?

829 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PLUM LOCO
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an Episode amplifier (designed to power outdoor speakers) that is 2 channels connected to 1 sub and 4 speakers, running at 8ohms. Signal comes from a Heos Link.

It mysteriously stopped working earlier this week. I know the Heos is talking to the amp - when I hit play on Spotify I can see the amps input/output levels jump when monitoring online.

The only option I can see to monkey with, and of course isn't mentioned in the manuals, is a button for channel 1 of 2 labeled Invert. I can only access this button online, not via the physical amp controls (to my knowledge).

My question if anyone understands amps in general - any idea what Invert means? The amp and speakers can both run in 70V or 8-ohm configuration. The amp has 2 channels - 1 powering the sub and the other powering the 4 speakers (inline).
lb3
AG
Invert just reversed the direction the driver moves. With low frequencies you can get interference patterns and standing waves (dead spots) in your vehicle or room. Inverting the wave will move those around and possibly eliminate them.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thank you sir. So engaging it wouldn't hurt anything, but it also won't fix my issue (correct)?
lb3
AG
Correct. Invert shouldn't fix your system or damage it.

The most common failures with receivers/amps is with the power relays failing.
Garrelli 5000
AG
That makes sense, thanks again. I feel like the amp failed somewhere. I have no reason to believe that the speaker wire was suddenly cut (both lines, not just the speakers or sub). If it happened in my house I have a much bigger rodent problem in a 2<yr home than should be possible, particularly with no noise or signs otherwise.

My guess is the power amp failed and that's after the sensors that read signal in/out, but not at a point the amp throws an error.
adamsbq06
AG
let me know if you want to look for replacements... supply is tight but ill let you know what options I have available.

andy@andrewadamsav.com
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thank you sir.
tfunk02
AG
If the amp is 8ohm and you had two 8ohm speakers on one output wired in parallel, you were actually pulling 4ohms from the amp. Depending on the amp, it could have stressed it out too much. Here's a good article on wiring more than one speaker to one output.

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/how-to-connect-2-speakers-to-1-amplifier/
Garrelli 5000
AG
Amp was fried. 2 year manufacturer warranty so fortunately not costing anything to replace.
PLUM LOCO
AG
You dodged a bullet on that adventure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.