Soccer/Football Manager Games

1,111 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EclipseAg
Dread Pirate Roberts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do any of you play games like Hattrick or Top Eleven?

I just started both and they seem great. Top Eleven seems easier to get into and understand and Hattrick seems like it will be much deeper - still need to figure out if that means more fun or a complete time waste.
JJxvi
AG
I play FM
1836er
AG
I used to play a game called Ultimate Soccer Manager 98. Usually I would take a team in the lowest division of Scotland or England and slowly work my way up mainly with trained youth players.

https://www.giantbomb.com/ultimate-soccer-manager-98/3030-12082/

I liked the simplicity of setting rosters and managing substitutions/tactics during the match... and watching the cartoon action unfold (with commentary) in the stadium.

My favorite aspect of the game, however, was taking a bare bones ground and slowly building up the stadium and facilities, especially the shops and eateries, over many seasons. I remember very fondly clicking on a store, selecting the cartoon scarf or jersey or hat on the shelf, and shifting the prices up and down with the mouse.

I wish I could find a game like that again. I've found the newer and "more advanced" games are too complex for my tastes and have none of the charm of USM 98.

Edited to add a few screenshots.
EclipseAg
AG
I've been playing Trophy Manager for 13 years (wow, that's hard to believe).

It's more of a management game than a game simulator, but it's still a lot of fun. Takes a long time to build your club and facilities.

You can also own teams in multiple countries, so if you get bored with your primary team, you can take on another challenge.

There used to be a ton of Aggies in the game because it was promoted on the soccer board. Most have dropped out by now.

trophymanager.com

Edit to add: In TM, you don't manage existing clubs or roster real-life players. You create your club from scratch -- name, location, etc. The players are generated by the system.
sosolik
AG
I quit playing because I thought the game wasn't being supported anymore. Is it still being supported by the developers? Still updating/improving the quality?
EclipseAg
AG
sosolik said:

I quit playing because I thought the game wasn't being supported anymore. Is it still being supported by the developers? Still updating/improving the quality?
The developers do the bare minimum to keep the game going. It's a shame, really. They have a lot of loyal customers on Trophy Manager.

The parent company just went public in Denmark, so their focus on new games is understandable. I just wish they would devote a little programming/creative time each month to TM.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.