Steamdeck

6,665 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nealthedestroyer
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's getting one?

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck
tfunk02
AG
If it's in the realm of the Index VR set, I will.

If it's in the realm of most other Valve hardware products, I'll pass.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I didn't know I needed this, but I need this
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Well, I tried. Literally F5 to reserve and still no chance
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cromagnum
AG
Gamers : We want a switch pro.

Nintendo: Too bad.

Valve:
A is A
AG
Cromagnum said:

Gamers : We want a switch pro.

Nintendo: Too bad.

Valve:

Exactly. Just run Yuzo emulator. Profit.
aezmvp
I'm definitely going to pick one up. Wish the screen was 1080p but not a huge issue. I'm going to start travelling for work once a month or so and this would be nice to have. Better if I can cross load wow on it. If not I'll wipe it and install windows.
Vade281
AG
I picked up a reservation. Q1 2022 for the 512GB version.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Glad you posted. Tried again and I'm in for a 256 model
Cromagnum
AG
Vade281 said:

I picked up a reservation. Q1 2022 for the 512GB version.

I threw my $5 for the 512 GB version too but mine said Q2
chilidogfood
AG
Gabe-boy
AggieVictor10
AG
Gabe Gear

Got stuck in the queue and then had server errors for a bit. Finally made it through for Q2 2022. Oh well. 512GB version.
aezmvp
Put in for the cheap one for the kid. Might see if I can pick up a big one after they start shipping. Already Q3 for that one now.
aggieforester05
AG
I like this concept, but the storage limitations are off putting considering the size of games these days. At the $650 price point, I'd want at least 2 Tb of storage. 512gb could be 3 - 4 games, especially after the OS and file system eat up memory.

I don't understand why these tech companies are so stingy with hard drive space these days. Laptops are the worst about this. I have 21 TB of storage on my desktop and it's filling up quickly. My dropbox files alone would fill up most laptop hard drives. I may be an outlier, but running out of hard drive space is such an annoying limitation!
aezmvp
aggieforester05 said:

I like this concept, but the storage limitations are off putting considering the size of games these days. At the $650 price point, I'd want at least 2 Tb of storage. 512gb could be 3 - 4 games, especially after the OS and file system eat up memory.

I don't understand why these tech companies are so stingy with hard drive space these days. Laptops are the worst about this. I have 21 TB of storage on my desktop and it's filling up quickly. My dropbox files alone would fill up most laptop hard drives. I may be an outlier, but running out of hard drive space is such an annoying limitation!
You're 100% an outlier. 512 might be the limit of 2-3 AAA titles but again you're talking about getting a laptop into a handheld form factor and the nvme is a costly part inside that price point. It's maybe 10%+ of the overall budget depending on performance. You can get some fairly high performance microSD cards as well that will help pop up that storage but really at that price point it's not terrible.
kb2001
AG
Looks like some channels got to try them out at Valve

tamusc
AG
kb2001 said:

That video makes me want one far more than the IGN preview. If nothing else, it'll be something fun to play around with.

Aaaaaand I'll let y'all know what I think of it when I get it "After Q2 2022", lol
FatZilla
AG
aezmvp said:

aggieforester05 said:

You're 100% an outlier. 512 might be the limit of 2-3 AAA titles but again you're talking about getting a laptop into a handheld form factor and the nvme is a costly part inside that price point. It's maybe 10%+ of the overall budget depending on performance. You can get some fairly high performance microSD cards as well that will help pop up that storage but really at that price point it's not terrible.

I hope they take the feedback to allow a 2230 size nvme at least instead of microsd for expansion. A 2260 or 2280 would be amazing but they take up quite a bit more room. A very simple back panel hatch could easily allow for direct mobo access to install one of these. Even dram'less nvme is better than mircosd imo.
tamusc
AG
FatZilla said:

aezmvp said:

aggieforester05 said:

I hope they take the feedback to allow a 2230 size nvme at least instead of microsd for expansion. A 2260 or 2280 would be amazing but they take up quite a bit more room. A very simple back panel hatch could easily allow for direct mobo access to install one of these. Even dram'less nvme is better than mircosd imo.
Valve confirmed that the SSD is an m.2 drive. It remains to be seen how user upgradable it is though.
FatZilla
AG
tamusc said:

FatZilla said:

aezmvp said:

aggieforester05 said:

Valve confirmed that the SSD is an m.2 drive. It remains to be seen how user upgradable it is though.

Ya thats the built in one. The unit has an expansion slot that uses micro sd right now in these demo units. That is a horrible way to store full fledged games nowadays. They need to get rid of the microsd slot and add in a new nvme slot that is user accessible, like the ps5, for expansion.

I do agree though that valve is being extremely cheapskate here on the initial drives. 512mb as the highest and its $200+ in upgrade cost? You can get a 2tb nvme for that. 1tb at a minimum for base unit is a must for pc game storage. A 1tb nvme is what? $80 msrp? This would be a bulk buy at close to cost. They are just being extremely cheap.
tamusc
AG
I think they are running really thin margins (if not losing money) on the rest of the components (for now) and I think they're trying to make some of that back on the storage.

I do think a second m.2 slot that is easily user accessible would be ideal instead of the microSD slot though.
aggieforester05
AG
Limiting the hard drive space so drastically is still a really ****ty limitation to deal with in this day and age. I'd rather pay the base price with no storage and have a slot where I can put my own memory (M.2 not MicroSD). Game updates alone are always piling on to my hard drive.

This is similar to Apple Laptops where it's a $400 option to get 2TB of storage instead of 1TB and there's no expansion available. With the technology we have today, why does this have to be such a limitation? It's like buying a new truck with a five gallon gas tank, because they want another $2K to get a ten gallon tank, when what you really want is at least 20 gallons, but that's $10K. They could do the 20 gallon tank from the get go for almost no more money, but they want to make big money off of a seemingly easily avoidable limitation.
hph6203
AG
Question is whether they could fit a 80mm or 60mm SSD into the device or if the 30mm was all they could squeeze in. If they couldn't, then the prices aren't that out of whack.
FatZilla
AG
hph6203 said:

Question is whether they could fit a 80mm or 60mm SSD into the device or if the 30mm was all they could squeeze in. If they couldn't, then the prices aren't that out of whack.

In that instance, it makes more sense to solder directly to the mobo for the base memory and use a slot only for expansion.
txag2k
AG
tamusc said:

kb2001 said:

That video makes me want one far more than the IGN preview. If nothing else, it'll be something fun to play around with.

Aaaaaand I'll let y'all know what I think of it when I get it "After Q2 2022", lol
This was a great review. I'm glad I went for the 512 but do agree with what others have said about the internal storage limitation. The reviewer did state that he didn't really notice any performance drops while running games off the external memory storage, so I'm hoping that will be the case for everyone.
aezmvp
txag2k said:

tamusc said:

kb2001 said:

This was a great review. I'm glad I went for the 512 but do agree with what others have said about the internal storage limitation. The reviewer did state that he didn't really notice any performance drops while running games off the external memory storage, so I'm hoping that will be the case for everyone.
Yeah after going through his review I went to reserve a 2nd and oops not available.
FatZilla
AG
txag2k said:

tamusc said:

kb2001 said:

Ya, those games were cherry picked and optimized i bet. I dont trust the devs one bit about that micro sd being fully viable. Its also why they were extremely hesitant to allow cs:go (17:40 in video) to be installed (which was probably to the internal rather than sd).
C@LAg
after those hands-on....I really want to get one, but I will wait a year for v2.
aggieforester05
AG
C@LAg said:

after those hands-on....I really want to get one, but I will wait a year for v2.
Yep, you'll be left holding a near paperweight when V2 comes out for the same price point with 2TB of storage for close to the same price as the current 512gb.
C@LAg
aggieforester05 said:

C@LAg said:

Yep, you'll be left holding a near paperweight when V2 comes out for the same price point with 2TB of storage for close to the same price as the current 512gb.
assuming chip and other shortages do not continue into 2023.
aggieforester05
AG
C@LAg said:

aggieforester05 said:

C@LAg said:

assuming chip and other shortages do not continue into 2023.
Please no! I need to build a new computer for work and realized it was not feasible when I priced graphics cards yesterday. I'm sick of hauling my desktop back and forth from the house.

tamusc
AG
This gives you an idea of how thin the margins on the Steam
deck must really be.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/upgraded-aya-neo-pro-costs-almost-double-the-most-expensive-steam-deck/
Star Wars Memes Only
Another cool thing to seemingly come out of this is that since SteamOS is Linux based, and since Valve is promising that all games in the Steam Library should run on it, it should follow that the Steam library will now run on Linux, which will be nice.
kb2001
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Another cool thing to seemingly come out of this is that since SteamOS is Linux based, and since Valve is promising that all games in the Steam Library should run on it, it should follow that the Steam library will now run on Linux, which will be nice.
It mostly does already, games that don't work correctly are few and far between. Proton has made a huge difference in this.
Star Wars Memes Only
Hmm, should try gaming again. I played SC2 a while back (obviously not Steam) which worked nicely, but haven't really tried anything else in the last decade or so.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.