iOS 15

4,111 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ExPLK
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wanted to drop in with the beta and say TexAgs looks bad ass in the new Safari.

Using new Safari will take some good getting used to for the non-Nerdery types, but it's very nice.
Azariah
AG
pics?
powerbelly
AG
I didn't know people still used safari.
AggieFrog
AG
Azariah said:

pics?

AggieFrog
AG
powerbelly said:

I've tried plenty of browsers on iOS over the years, but hard to beat Safari. There isn't another browser that I like better these days.
AgsWin2011
AG
Looks the same to me
YouBet
AG
Heismenberg said:

Looks the same to me

Yes, looks exactly the same on Brave on iOS 14.6 right now. Maybe yuk is on iOS 3 and just now upgrading?
Phat32
AG
They moved the URL bar to the bottom, so the top of the screen now extends and gives you a larger viewing experience.

Other browsers will update soon, but thought it was a nice improvement.

Most of the other improvements are minor tweaks. Nothing ground breaking.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Doesn't Edge already do this?
Cloud
powerbelly said:

Safari is the best browser on iOS and it's not especially close.
YouBet
AG
yukmonkey said:

They moved the URL bar to the bottom, so the top of the screen now extends and gives you a larger viewing experience.

Other browsers will update soon, but thought it was a nice improvement.

Most of the other improvements are minor tweaks. Nothing ground breaking.

That does make way more sense ergonomically.
Cloud
GT_Aggie2015 said:

Doesn't Edge already do this?

No
powerbelly
AG
Cloud said:

powerbelly said:

I have found brave to be better overall.
YouBet
AG
And safari doesn't make sense if you aren't also on a Mac.
boboguitar
AG
AggieFrog said:

powerbelly said:

I've tried plenty of browsers on iOS over the years, but hard to beat Safari. There isn't another browser that I like better these days.
To be fair, every mobile browser is just a reskin of safari.
91AggieLawyer
AG
powerbelly said:

Cloud said:

powerbelly said:

I have found brave to be better overall.

Not going to say its necessarily better than either, but DuckDuckGo works fine for me. I actually don't have Brave installed on my iPads even though I use it on the desktop.
LOYAL AG
AG
It's always interesting when people debate which browser is better. To me it's like arguing about which light switch works best. As long as it works I don't particularly care. What am I missing here? I know some sites are optimized for specific browsers but to my knowledge none of them are optimized for Safari.
YouBet
AG
LOYAL AG said:

It's always interesting when people debate which browser is better. To me it's like arguing about which light switch works best. As long as it works I don't particularly care. What am I missing here? I know some sites are optimized for specific browsers but to my knowledge none of them are optimized for Safari.
The three primary separators in the past for me have been:

1. Privacy features
2. Customer experience i.e. actually using the app; how many clicks does it take me to do certain things?
3. Sync across devices (this rules out Safari as a viable choice for me)

It seems like everyone has gotten on the privacy bandwagon, but it's hard for me to tell who is just claiming it vs actually doing it. Currently using Brave but that's only after they recently enabled cross device favorites synching. They didn't have the feature for a long time.
powerbelly
AG
LOYAL AG said:

I like Brave for the ad blocking and it seems marginally faster than chrome or firefox for me.
Naveronski
AG
powerbelly said:

LOYAL AG said:

I like Brave for the ad blocking and it seems marginally faster than chrome or firefox for me.
Interesting. I currently use Chrome because I like how it works across phone/computer, but might need to check out Brave for the adblock.
AggieFrog
AG
Naveronski said:

powerbelly said:

LOYAL AG said:

Interesting. I currently use Chrome because I like how it works across phone/computer, but might need to check out Brave for the adblock.
FWIW - it's easy enough to enable ad blocking in Safari as well (I use 1Blocker across my iPhone/iPad/iMac).
LOYAL AG
AG
powerbelly said:

LOYAL AG said:

I use Brave as well for the same reason. I use Chrome but only for work sites, nothing that would facilitate ads. I don't trust Google so I don't use their products except for sites I pay to be on that don't have ads at all.
heddleston
AG
I use firefox because they have a dark mode which is nice when reading texags in bed
Al Bula
AG
Liking Photos new functionality so far. It's nice to be able to edit locations in the Photos app for known addresses or landmarks but sucks you can't drop a pin on where a pic was taken, or at least I haven't seen that yet. Maybe need to play around more. I was able to bulk edit a lot of pics that ios 14 messed up with generic locations.

Not a fan of the photo metadata showing up above the map. No one expect dorky photogs care about metadata more so than location.
A is A
AG
continuously getting an unknown on Install. Im on iOS 14.8 currently and the 15 has been downloaded already.

Any thoughts?
Al Bula
AG
Other nitpicky Photos things:

1. When you upgrade the OS, it takes days to rescan all the pics and messes up the people albums. I guess the facial AI lives on the phone and not in the cloud (unlike Google Photos) because my people albums on my phone and iPad are not in sync.

2. Pics taken at home no longer show up as "Home." They show up with location as my neighborhood. Pics taken previously at home still have the Home label.

3. Sometimes people albums crash the app when there are lots (thousands) of pics of a person. This predates iOS 15 though, just hasn't been fixed.
Eliminatus
AG
A is A said:

continuously getting an unknown on Install. Im on iOS 14.8 currently and the 15 has been downloaded already.

Any thoughts?

Having same issue
Eliminatus
AG
Finally just went through.
A is A
AG
Good to hear.

I had to delete the downloaded update and re-download. then it worked.
A is A
AG
15 sucks.

All notification except apple apps (messages, FT, etc) have stopped. I have gone through a few articles and except for resetting the phone - I have tried everything.

We better get an update fast.
flakrat
AG
I had that happen to me in IOS14, and required me to turn off then on notifications for each app. Fixed it for some, not others.

With iMessages, it's happened multiple times on both mine and my wifes phones. PITA
Gig-Em2003
AG
Two weeks in and it's official. This new OS is a complete battery drain and it's pissing me off. Purchased a new iPhone 12 Pro back in July and it was lasting me until 9 or 10pm consistently. Big improvement from my iPhone X that might get to 2pm before needing some juice.

Well now my new 12 Pro is draining at the same clip. WTF! Anyone having similar issues?
AggieFrog
AG
Do you use Spotify? It has a known battery performance issue on iOS 15.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Yes I do. I saw some articles about that and I've deleted it for now to see if that's the issue. But I don't use Spotify that much so it must be draining in the background.
powerbelly
AG
No issues for me on my 12 mini but I am not a power user by any means.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.