Home Media/Storage Server Thread

6,805 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TMoney2007
Jabin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you are using back blaze, why have a sinology at all? Ark03 said:

Jabin said:

Or what if no parents?

Any other practical suggestions for placing a synology device where an accident that destroys your computer won't also destroy it?
I used Carbonite for a lot of years, and finally shifted to backblaze about three years ago. I've got B2 running that backs up from my Synology NAS nightly.
If you are using backblaze, why have a Synology at all? Speed?
tfunk02
AG
I'm guessing speed and redundancy. When I had my backups setup properly, I had on site, in cloud, and alternate location (parents house NAS). Living out in the country with terrible internet has not helped me.
merlin403
My routine almost mirrors Ark03 except instead of B2 I use iDrive.
Ark03
AG
Jabin said:

If you are using back blaze, why have a sinology at all? Ark03 said:

Jabin said:

Or what if no parents?

Any other practical suggestions for placing a synology device where an accident that destroys your computer won't also destroy it?
I used Carbonite for a lot of years, and finally shifted to backblaze about three years ago. I've got B2 running that backs up from my Synology NAS nightly.
If you are using backblaze, why have a Synology at all? Speed?
I've got two NAS boxes. One is volume for some storage, and the other hosts my Plex media server and backs up my PC. Veeam on my PC runs a job overnight to backup to a location on one NAS, and then of course Backblaze is my offsite backup.

But yeah, I've always believed in having an onsite and an offsite backup. Before Carbonite I was rotating hard drives at an offsite location.

Edit: Incidentally, I had my first hard drive fail in a NAS a couple of months ago. It happened exactly when the power flickered on and off in the house. The volume was using Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), and I shut it down and waited for the new hard drive to come in. It booted right up, repaired the volume in a day or two, and worked just like it should. Then I added a pure sine wave wave UPS to my setup.
TravelAg2004
AG
Ark03 said:

Jabin said:

Or what if no parents?

How much data are you storing in B2? And what are your monthly costs if you don't mind me asking?
Ark03
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Ark03 said:

Jabin said:

Or what if no parents?

How much data are you storing in B2? And what are your monthly costs if you don't mind me asking?
Not much. I don't backup my media server as I own all the DVDs and BluRays and consider the physical media my backup. So, I'm only backing up a terabyte or so of pictures and home video and a few important files and such, and my current fees to maintain it are about $5 a month.

B2 charges $0.005/GB per month for data storage and $0.01/GB to download data, and I've never had to download anything.

Edit to add: Backblaze and Carbonite and others don't play well with NAS volumes, even if they're mapped to your PC as a drive. I don't know how that would work if you have it set up as a storage pool or some kind of VM, but until I learned a better way to manage all this I settled on B2 to back up from my NAS directly to the cloud. Works great.

will25u
I bought my Synology 1019+ a few months ago to host my Plex ensemble. It has been doing a mighty job. I think I am just barely scraping the surface of what else I can do with this NAS. The reason I went with the expensive Synology is the ability to just set it up and forget about it. I am not afraid to tinker, and set up an unraid/freenas, but the older I get, the less time I want to deal with it and just have it work. Also WAF.

Here is my current set up.

Volume 1:
2 6TB in SHR(Movies, TV shows)
Volume 2:
1 4TB(Kids Movies)

Package Center:

Synology Photos
Docker
Plex(w/PlexPass for HW decode/encode)

Docker:

Home Assistant
Portainer(may get rid of, as prefer just using Docker/SSH itself)
Organizr
Pihole
Unbound
SABnzbd
Radarr
Sonarr
Tautulli
Watchtower

Don't really think I have a need for a VPN, unless someone can talk me into it. I transfer all photos/videos taken with our phones to Photos.

I am sure there is more I can do with this NAS. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Ark03
AG
will25u said:

I bought my Synology 1019+ a few months ago to host my Plex ensemble. It has been doing a mighty job. I think I am just barely scraping the surface of what else I can do with this NAS. The reason I went with the expensive Synology is the ability to just set it up and forget about it. I am not afraid to tinker, and set up an unraid/freenas, but the older I get, the less time I want to deal with it and just have it work. Also WAF.

Here is my current set up.

Volume 1:
2 6TB in SHR(Movies, TV shows)
Volume 2:
1 4TB(Kids Movies)

Package Center:

Synology Photos
Docker
Plex(w/PlexPass for HW decode/encode)

Docker:

Home Assistant
Portainer(may get rid of, as prefer just using Docker/SSH itself)
Organizr
Pihole
Unbound
SABnabd
Radarr
Sonarr
Tautulli
Watchtower

Don't really think I have a need for a VPN, unless someone can talk me into it. I transfer all photos/videos taken with our phones to Photos.

I am sure there is more I can do with this NAS. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I didn't even mention this earlier, but I also use Synology Surveillance Station. I had plans to build a cheap little PC for Blue Iris, but tried Surveillance Station and it met all my needs for my handful of cameras. I limit the amount of space it uses, which gives me about a month loop of all my cameras. Technology to scan for events and traffic works great.
will25u
What cameras do you use for the setup? Also how much this space does your month of recordings take up, and how many cameras?
adamsbq06
AG
Synology is compatible with any onvif cameras
Ark03
AG
will25u said:

What cameras do you use for the setup? Also how much this space does your month of recordings take up, and how many cameras?
AdamsBQ is correct that any onvif camera should work.

I have three Reolink RLC-410 cameras (a POE camera) and a Reolink RLC-511W (a WIFI camera) on this setup. I want to say I have 3ish (may be closer to 4) TB allocated for video storage. I tweaked it until I was getting around a month of coverage. I would have liked to get my doorbell on this too, but at the time I was setting it up there wasn't an onvif doorbell camera around where I could find anyone had been successful in setting it up with Surveillance Station, so I got a ring. That may be different now.
SlackerAg
AG
Any rumors if Synology will release new NAS products for 2022?

Was looking at a DS1621+ (Their DS1621xs+ apparently doesn't support Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)).
I doubt they'll release a DS1622+ one year later, since they seem to follow a 2-year or more release cycle.

I'm hoping 10GB ethernet will be standard in a DS1522+ (5 bay) or DS922+ (4 bay).

Ark03, which pure sine wave UPS did you end up getting?
lb3
AG
The Fife said:

I'm running an I5-3570K and thought that was the oldest system here that sees regular use!

Will be following the whole server thing, that's been on my to-do list for a while and I'd like to use an old Alienware Quad Core with a clean install of Windows 7 for it.
I didn't replace my Phenom II until last year when boot times exceeded 12 minutes. Could have solved that with a SSD but I was also maxing out my memory. The new box is a beast and I'm hoping it lasts me until 2030 with just a gpu and additional storage over the years.
Pman17
AG
Ugh, I missed the boat on $100 off Synology, Black Friday.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bought parts for a home storage solution and should have up shortly after the new year!

i5-4670k
16 GB ram
2 4tb HDDs
500 GB WD SSD

Don't have enough budget to do Unraid, so will go with the free TrueNas.
Pman17
AG
Bought the Synology DS920+

Anyone know of a good way to do a direct transfer from Google Drive?
lb3
AG
jbryan10 said:

Windows 11 requiring a TPM module,
TPM modules are available for under $20.

The one I purchased for $14 is no longer available but here is another example:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09LKGYDN2
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Bought the Synology DS920+

Anyone know of a good way to do a direct transfer from Google Drive?
Figured it out, this is awesome.
I installed the Cloud Sync package. Then set tasks for each folder to download to my NAS. Made sure I checked the box that prevents the NAS from deleting files if they get deleted on Drive.

I'll have to buy a new NAS drive for my 4K movies.
DallasTeleAg
I also purchased a Synology DS920+ and put a single 14TB drive in it. Transferred all my movies (~950) and TV shows over.

Damn... so great to have a NAS that runs Plex natively. Loving everything about this.

My next step will be resiliency. I'm not going to buy another one strictly for backups, and I'm not paying for some type of cloud storage for that much.

I have a basic idea what RAID is, but need to do more research to determine how I can configure 4 bays to provide more resiliency for my data. Of course, I have other harddrives of varying sizes around my place, but don't want to distribute my data across so many separate drives.
aggieforester05
AG
I had Plex on my gaming rig, but lost the hard drive. Luckily the media was backed up on an external drive. I have an old 2006 Mac Pro collecting dust that's completely useless due to obsolescence of the software. It otherwise runs perfect. Has 24 GB of ram, dual Xeon processors, dedicated graphics, and a 1TB disk drive. If I were to install Linux via bootcamp and setup a new Plex media server, would I be better off putting adding two 3TB hard drives to the Mac Pro or just connecting it to the Synology 215j (I think!) NAS box that currently houses those drives? I put the NAS together years ago, but never use it because it was so slow to respond.
Pman17
AG
You should be able to configure for backups by adding another NAS and having one back-up to the other in case one fails. I think it's possible to backup to an external drive as well. I'll be looking into that. I've got some external drive's I don't use I'm thinking about backing up to. Probably just gonna plug in a drive and copy & paste folders. Then every once in a while hook one back up and copy & paste again and hit skip on the duplicates.
TMoney2007
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I had Plex on my gaming rig, but lost the hard drive. Luckily the media was backed up on an external drive. I have an old 2006 Mac Pro collecting dust that's completely useless due to obsolescence of the software. It otherwise runs perfect. Has 24 GB of ram, dual Xeon processors, dedicated graphics, and a 1TB disk drive. If I were to install Linux via bootcamp and setup a new Plex media server, would I be better off putting adding two 3TB hard drives to the Mac Pro or just connecting it to the Synology 215j (I think!) NAS box that currently houses those drives? I put the NAS together years ago, but never use it because it was so slow to respond.
That computer is going to be massive overkill and use a ton of power,... If there is space in it, you might as well put them into the system. It'll use slightly less power.

Either way should be functional though. The Mac Pro should have gigabit ethernet ports.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.