Rubik's Cube

2,043 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ntxVol
Owen Kellogg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone into cubing? Since watching The Speed Cubers (Netflix documentary) I've gotten into it. My average 3x3 solve time is getting close to 1:30. Still got a ways to go to compete, but it's been fun.

The parity of the 4x4 and 5x5 have me whiffed.
YouBet
AG
I'm too stupid to solve it. Most I ever got was 1 or 2 rows.
Aggie_95
AG
My son was big into this a couple years back. He did a few cubing competitions. Fastest 3x3 was around 20 seconds....good for about bottom 25% of times......

He has a 13x13 and 17x17.....
Rex Racer
AG
I was into it way back in the day. Could solve it in under two minutes. I still remember all the moves except this ONE step, and if things don't go right, I can't finish it. Still have my original Pyraminx and Megaminx.
double aught
AG
YouBet said:

I was blown away a few years ago when someone told me that the middle square never changes and that's how you know the color of each side.
bbattbq01
AG
I googled the algorithms a couple years back so I could solve one and say I did it really easy to do if you know the moves.

That documentary was amazing. Knowing the basic algorithms is one thing, but the depth of knowledge those guys have to build at an instinctual level to solve those things that fast is mind blowing.
khkman22
AG
I could have solved it when I was 10, but the stickers wouldn't stick once you peeled them off.
khkman22
AG
My kids got me a multi-pack set for my birthday last year. I can solve the 2x2, 3x3, mirror cube (just a non-symmetrical 3x3), pyramid, ivy, and 4x4 and 5x5 when the exception situations don't arise. I can get to a point on the pinwheel but then I get lost. The tutorial I have watched says solve like a 3x3, but that's hard to do when two sides only have two pieces. I just can't picture what I am supposed to see in order to solve it. I could only get so far on the megaminx without help, but I haven't done that one in a long time.
lb3
AG
I've always assumed those guys have photographic memories and can recognize where in the algorithm they are by looking a only a couple sides of the cube.
nai06
AG
I think have about 20 or so in my collection. I have two that I haven't been able to solve yet. A ghost cube and a molecule.
nai06
AG
I guess I underestimated how many I have. This is what I pulled together at the house just now but I know have a pyraminx and about 2 dozen mini cubes in my classroom. I am not a speed cuber by any means (my 3x3 time is just under a minute). I just like all the variations. Everything you see in this pic is a puzzle cube of some kind
JaceAG12
I have a couple and can still solve them, albeit slowly now. I never tried to get "fast" but could solve it around 130-145 consistently. Just had to memorize patterns for the most part and that only took a few days.
UnderoosAg
AG
double aught said:

YouBet said:

I was blown away a few years ago when someone told me that the middle square never changes and that's how you know the color of each side.

FML. Well now I know too.
Tailgate88
AG
My best time as a kid in the 80's was 27 seconds. Even competed in the official Rubik's cube contest at Astroworld! Now I have a granddaughter who is really into them. I'd like to get her a good high quality speed cube, can anyone recommend a good one?
Nagler
AG
double aught said:

YouBet said:

nai06
AG
I like D-FantiX. It's bright and stickerless and has full color corners and edges so you can see the sides as you turn. It's also easy to adjust the tightness. And at $8 it's super affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PM722OI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_W1QYEV1KCFMXK4TA4C48?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Tailgate88
AG
Ordered, thanks!
92Ag95
AG
YouBet said:

I learned how to solve it in 7th grade.....too stupid (or lazy) to learn how to solve it now.
ntxVol
Used to hang out with a group of friends who were amazed I could solve one. Sometimes we would get bored and they would start a pool betting on how long it would take me to solve one after several hours of partying. Sometimes I would solve it in a couple of minutes and other times it might take several minutes.

Good times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.