HAM Radio forum

1,686 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Seriously77
Naked Hiker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whats the best website or most active forum for ham radio?
Youtube has been pretty good for general info, but not too helpful on specifics...
Naked Hiker
AG
The one I know of is ARRL.org
Is that about as good as I'll find?
Southpaw 07
AG
It really depends on what you want to do with it. There is a lot of info via google across many small sites. Also, the forum below is fairly active.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ham-Radios/22/
The Fife
Forgot to renew my license when it came due. Guess that means I'd have to take the test again and all that.
UmustBKidding
You have two years grace period. If longer you have to take the element 2 part over (Technician basically rules and regs) and the gen you a new license. You can then apply for your old callsign as a vanity call if it has not been reissued and that is important to you. There is an impending change and when it happens it will cost $35 instead of free. Lets hope congress is ineffective as usual and this is delayed.
UmustBKidding
As southpaw indicates it depends on your interest. QRZ, Eham,dxzone, dxnews have popular forums. Lots of local clubs have forums, wiki's etc. Cowtown club is pretty active in the metroplex.
Bregxit
AG
QRZ and eHam were frequent haunts of mine years ago. They seem to be still pretty active.
Naked Hiker
AG
I found all sorts of info and sites for cowtown but haven't been able to find a forum for them. Still might get plugged in, thanks!
Bregxit
AG
Naked Hiker said:

I found all sorts of info and sites for cowtown but haven't been able to find a forum for them. Still might get plugged in, thanks!

Looks like they use a Yahoo group.
UmustBKidding
With the demize of yahoo groups many have moved to groups. Io
Several of the texas ares groups and ham applications i subscribe to have moved there.
94DallasAG
AG
Prefect timing on this thread.

My dad passed away and we're going through all his things (he was an engineer and a child of the great depression, hence he kept EVERYTHING). He was also a big Ham radio guy although that was before my consciousness. He has lots of old equipment and we wondering if they are worth anything. These are just two of the things which have labels
NC300
NC HRO "Sally"

There are also like 4 other units that aren't labeled along with a pretty cool looking microphone (something you might see from 50's era broadcast news shows)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Naked Hiker
AG
Picture of the microphone? I might take it off your hands. I'm in the market for a retro CW keyer and mic.
UmustBKidding
Value of course varies based on condition and item. Unfortunately most dont have huge value but select pieces especially in good cosmetic condition can bring unexpected $ to collectors. Most clubs have someone they refer families of hams to to help the. Figure out what is what and worth. Ebay and eham help but condition that adds value is not just a looks issues. Some things worth more in original condition than repaired by an owner.
Im not a purest but many are and they spend more than i do. Reach out to local ham clubs.
ps: I would refrain from Ill just plug in and see if it works. More that likely it won't, capacitors especially from this vintage equipment dry out and don't like surges and you can devalue things quickly. People skilled in the art will check common failure components before trying operation, and things seem ok will apply power in a gentle and controlled way that allows healing and quick reaction if things are not a good as they seemed.

Email is username
A t consp iracy . Dot. Net if i can help
94DallasAG
AG
Found 4 more boxes full of old radio parts (I'm in finance mind you - dad's skill set did not translate ). Most of it wrapped in newspaper from like July 1967. We're having an estate sale (this stuff is not going in it), so once that's over I can try to upload some pictures.

That microphone is Turner Crystal is that means anything.
Seriously77
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.