Gaming laptop recommendations

1,204 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jetpilot86
LeisureSuitLarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's hear them.
YouBet
AG
I bought an HP Omen 15 about 3 months ago and have enjoyed it. It had really good reviews and it's worked really well. I paired it with a Logitech G502 Lightspeed mouse. It's on the upper mid tier end I would suppose from a price/performance standpoint.

I don't like laptops for gaming generally but I needed a solid contender for a second home. So, I use it to play synced games via Steam when we are out of town and also for work.
LeisureSuitLarry
I have been looking at this one:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predatortriton500
AggieVictor10
AG
Picked up an ASUS Zephyrus G15 for a travel buddy as I start to go on trips again.

Here's a few reviews:

Worth noting that the G15 does not have a webcam built into the monitor/lid, so if you want to use it for work or Zoom calls, you'll have to find a workaround. I ended up buying a tripod for my phone to use in lieu of the monitor cam. Wasn't a deal breaker for me but it may be for others.

For something a little less expensive but still pretty damn solid, there's the MSI Stealth 15M.
zip04
AG
AggieVictor10 said:

Picked up an ASUS Zephyrus G15 for a travel buddy as I start to go on trips again.

Here's a few reviews:

Worth noting that the G15 does not have a webcam built into the monitor/lid, so if you want to use it for work or Zoom calls, you'll have to find a workaround. I ended up buying a tripod for my phone to use in lieu of the monitor cam. Wasn't a deal breaker for me but it may be for others.

For something a little less expensive but still pretty damn solid, there's the MSI Stealth 15M.

Obviously depends on your budget but +1 for this laptop. I have it and it is a very good laptop.

Edit to say I don't have this model. I have the M15, not the G15. It isn't my primary computer and is lower apex's than the one you posted and the one linked by the OP. Still a great laptop, so I'm sure the G15 is phenomenal.
dubi
AG
Quote:

the G15 does not have a webcam built into the monitor/lid
I do find it a bit odd that a $2,500 laptop does not have a webcam.
JJxvi
AG
I bought a pair of Alienware M15 R3's for my wife and I and we've been happy with them, probably wouldn't recommend if you're at all sensitive about a bit of heat near the top of the keyboard.
AggieVictor10
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

the G15 does not have a webcam built into the monitor/lid
I do find it a bit odd that a $2,500 laptop does not have a webcam.
Definitely. I feel like they could've included one without the laptop getting any thicker, or marginally so. Maybe it was to cut costs? No idea since i doubt it would add much more to an already expensive machine.

Like I said though, it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. I hardly ever use the webcam on my old laptop, I have a work-provided laptop with a built in camera, and I have a Razer Kiyo hooked up to my desktop.

For the edge cases where I only have the G15 with me and I need to hop onto a work call, I can just use my phone and tripod.
PooDoo
AG
YouBet said:

I bought an HP Omen 15 about 3 months ago and have enjoyed it. It had really good reviews and it's worked really well. I paired it with a Logitech G502 Lightspeed mouse. It's on the upper mid tier end I would suppose from a price/performance standpoint.

I don't like laptops for gaming generally but I needed a solid contender for a second home. So, I use it to play synced games via Steam when we are out of town and also for work.

Bought my wife an HP Omen and it didn't last 3 years.

Would not recommend.
Wildmen03
AG
I bought a Gateway Creator Series laptop not long ago from Walmart for $699.

With an RTX2060, i5, 16gb ram, (2) 1tb M.2 NVME drives and a 120hz screen, it's my new favorite computer. The webcam is useless mounted at the bottom of the screen, but other than that its great.

Full disclosure, the extra ram and NVME drives I already had laying around, but I considered it a great deal
aggiebq03+
I bought a Lenovo Legion Y530 a few years ago and have been pretty happy with it. I did have to replace the 128GB NVME hard drive after about 1 year, but I was planning to upgrade to a larger solid state drive anyway and just use the 500GB hard disk for long term storage items. Other than that it's been a great laptop.

I picked it at the time as it was the most low profile laptop I could find from an aesthetics perspective that had a real gaming graphics card. Everything else had garish plastic or lots of LEDs (or was massively expensive, looking at you Razer). It's not my main computer and haven't used much recently as it was my travel machine for gaming. Still use on occasion when going to friends houses for VR setup or gaming on a TV, works well for that still.

Would just check out the current Lenovo Legion lineup and see which one fits your budget. I know I caught mine on a sale which saved a few hundred dollars, they seem to do them about once a quarter back when I was looking. Not sure if that's still the case. Best of luck in the search. Buying new hardware is always fun.
Jetpilot86
AG
I've had an Alienware 17, Omen 15, and an Alienware 15.

I got the AW17 because I travel half the year and wanted lots of screen-estate. It's built like a tank, and weighs nearly as much.

The Omen replaced the AW17 because the AW17 finally wore me out.

The AW15 replaced the Omen after about a year as the Omen couldn't handle the travel abuse.

The AW17 is now hooked to my 65" Samsung OLED and is the home/Multimedia machine.

The AW15 is on it's 2nd or 3rd year as the road warrior. It's replacement will be another AW when the time comes.... About all I miss is my AW17 quad core.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.