Dashcam?

1,448 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Fife
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey everyone just wondering if nay of you have a dashcam and what your experience with them is? I recently got a Rexar Dashcam (mostly due to paranoia from watching dashcam vids on YouTube lol). Do you have a front and rear cam? What about inside the cab?
boy09
AG
I bought Anker Roav dashcam about 3 years ago when i started driving a lot for work. Just a single, front-facing camera. It's always worked well, i've had zero issues with it since i installed it. I forget its even there.

I've always seen reviews that in hotter climates like Texas, you want a cam with a capacitor instead of a battery because the heat will destroy the battery. But i've never had any issues with mine.

Also, in those 3 years, i haven't caught anything noteworthy on the dashcam...
John Beckwith
AG
^
I've had the same for over a year, no issues
Eliminatus
AG
Roav owner here. Very pleased with it.
Icecream_Ag
S
boy09 said:

I bought Anker Roav dashcam about 3 years ago when i started driving a lot for work. Just a single, front-facing camera. It's always worked well, i've had zero issues with it since i installed it. I forget its even there.

I've always seen reviews that in hotter climates like Texas, you want a cam with a capacitor instead of a battery because the heat will destroy the battery. But i've never had any issues with mine.

Also, in those 3 years, i haven't caught anything noteworthy on the dashcam...
nothing like the dude in NYC that ran over a school bus driver for doing her job, or the guy in England that pulled into oncoming traffic so he could pass the car waiting for kids in the crosswalk and nearly ran over the kids? Personally I'd hold out for the high speed chase in a stolen vehicle sliding around a blind curve in the wrong lane. Seems like a waste of a perfectly good video recording device.
Pman17
AG
I have a Rexing, but it's dead because the sun cooked it. Lasted about 2 or 3 years. Still have it up as sort of a deterrence. Will eventually get a new one as long as it works with the rear camera I installed.
Ring should be coming out with a car security camera soon.
The Fife
I caught this driving through Baton Rouge a couple weeks after getting a dashcam. The guy totally nailed it, ended up in the lane he wanted and everything.

https://imgur.com/a/yAl1CjA
Wildmen03
AG
Viofo A119v3 in the front, Garmin Dash Cam 35 facing back.

Wife has a Garmin 45 in her car.

I even took my old Garmin 20 dash cam and put it in my work truck when I upgraded.

They aren't too hard to wire in and these day's it's not worth it to NOT have one..

nai06
AG
I wonder if he has auditioned for the next fast and furious movie because that was impressive.
The Fife
Yeah it was, I expected him to at least tap the rail but nope! Guy got off at the ramp off camera, either that was his exit or he needed to find someplace to change into a new pair of shorts.
All I do is Nguyen
The Fife said:

I caught this driving through Baton Rouge a couple weeks after getting a dashcam. The guy totally nailed it, ended up in the lane he wanted and everything.

https://imgur.com/a/yAl1CjA
I used to live near Hammond, LA and had the EXACT same thing happen to me! I went off the highway into the grass but was fine otherwise.
TXAG 05
AG
Wildmen03 said:

They aren't too hard to wire in and these day's it's not worth it to NOT have one..

Didn't know this was even a thing. Is it for in case of a wreck to prove who was at fault? Or if someone breaks into your car?
Wildmen03
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Wildmen03 said:

Didn't know this was even a thing. Is it for in case of a wreck to prove who was at fault? Or if someone breaks into your car?
Mine is mostly for the ease of it turning on and off with my truck. It starts recording when I start my truck, and shuts down when I turn my truck off.

Some of them have built in capabilities to have a parking mode where it can detect if someone hits your car while it's parked and you're not in it.
nwspmp
I have two Vava 4K units in my wife's car (front and back) and a Vava 1080p Dual in my truck. Great picture quality and definitely came in handy in my last car when someone was on the phone, looking to the side at a store and then rear ended me as I was backing out of a parking spot. Without the camera showing these (and the helpful witness who saw it), it would've been bad for me. The camera showed that person wasn't paying attention at all and insurance took care of it 100% on them then.

Have seen a few small things but nothing much more than that.
The Fife
The trouble I've run into with parking mode is that it's still writing to the memory card and I burned through my first one faster once I enabled it. It was a security camera card but they'll still need to be replaced eventually.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.