Cord cutters please check in.

10,051 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sts7049
txag2k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! There have been several threads asking about specific services and comparing a few etc. but I did not find an across the board discussion that satisfied me. There was one great thread I could not find (looked 30+ pages deep) that covered just about everything several years ago when a lot of us were going that route so I figured I'd ask to get an update of what everyone stuck with.

What are y'all still using now and how are y'all using it (renew monthly, cancel after sports season or a new show's season, etc.)

I went from DirecTV (~$320/mo) to DirecTVNow ($55) several years ago, which eventually rolled into AT&TNow. That was my main source for regional coverage local channels and prices gradually increased for the grandfathered plan and got me paying $75 then $80/mo and now they are going to bump up to $95. F THAT.

So currently I have:
AT&TNow ($95 which ain't happening)
Netflix ($9)
Hulu (no commercials $13)
Disney+ (free - son's account)
Amazon Prime (covered no cost)
Paramount + ( not subscribed yet but will once YellowStone resumes $10)

Trying to determine who replace AT&TNow with since I'm not paying them a hundred bucks. I've got a few digital antennae so actually have most locals covered but would like the option to NOT rely on them. Plus I do occasionally like watching live TV as bad as it usually is.

Also I do not account for things like the cost of my gig connection because.... well that's just silly, I'm going to have Internet no matter what.

Seeking feedback from fellow cord cutters!
lb3
AG
If you don't need sports, Philo is a good option.
RockOn
Cable free since 2009. My only subscription service is Spotify. Your best bet is to find other hobbies.
rbcs_2
AG
The only service I have is amazon prime. I use prime music and occasionally prime video has something that looks interesting. The streaming options out there are somewhat staggering. I don't find any service worth the price as a stand alone streaming option. I lost the desire to watch live events some time ago.
Claude!
I subscribe to:
  • Amazon Prime (though I rarely use their streaming or VOD offerings)
  • YouTube Premium (I watch enough YouTube, or have it on for background noise, that it's worth not having commercials)
  • Apple One (primarily for the Apple Music)
  • HBO Max (free with AT&T cell/internet, but I have never used it)

I've historically subscribed to YouTube TV during football season (primarily because they carry RedZone), but that would be a non-starter for this coming season if they don't straighten out their **** with Roku.
boy09
AG
txag2k said:

DirecTVNow ($55) several years ago, which eventually rolled into AT&TNow. That was my main source for regional coverage local channels and prices gradually increased for the grandfathered plan and got me paying $75 then $80/mo and now they are going to bump up to $95. F THAT.
Holy ***** It's $95/mo now?! I still remember when i was "locked in" to the $35/mo price when it launched. That didn't last long...
MGS
boy09 said:

txag2k said:

DirecTVNow ($55) several years ago, which eventually rolled into AT&TNow. That was my main source for regional coverage local channels and prices gradually increased for the grandfathered plan and got me paying $75 then $80/mo and now they are going to bump up to $95. F THAT.
Holy ***** It's $95/mo now?! I still remember when i was "locked in" to the $35/mo price when it launched. That didn't last long...
You're not going to get a good deal from a provider that also happens to own 1/3 of the cable channels in the package.
txag2k
AG
RockOn said:

Cable free since 2009. My only subscription service is Spotify. Your best bet is to find other hobbies.

Thanks for your quality input! Posts like yours are always so insightful.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
All year:

Prime (mostly for fast shipping, so I don't really consider this a streaming cost)
Disney+
Netflix
Spotify

September-January Only
Youtube.tv

Youtube.tv and Roku are having a fight right now though, so we'll see if that is resolved by the first kickoff of the fall.

Comes out to something like $45-50 during the year and then $120 or so in the fall, but really the Youtube.TV is the only cost worth comparing to something like DirecTV because I'd have DIsney+, Netflix, Prime and Spotify either way.

I don't like the climbing prices of the streaming live TV services, but they're still better than the traditional means and, even if prices get close - the ability to set up Youtube.tv in under 1 minute before the season and then cancel it in under 1 minute after the season without retention, device returns, installations, etc. is pretty nice.
Jasomania
AG
For main TV Purposes

• Sling Blue (Plus DVR, Ent. Channel Add on): $40
  • Tivo OTA + Antenna for Local Channels: $400 One Time Fixed Cost

Other services I'd likely have regardless of cable:

• Netflix: 18 a month for 4K Sub
  • Disney+: prepaid 150 for 3 years
  • Amazon Prime: Whatever prime costs now, I'd have it regardless of any streaming benefit
  • HBO Max: Included with Internet
  • Spotify: 12.99 month duo plan
  • SiriusXM: $60 per year

Sling is the cheapest option because they save money by not providing local channels. I don't care about sports so the blue option is best for us. You can go Sling orange and pick up ESPN and add on most other sports channels from there for extra cost. 5ish years ago I bought a OTA Tivo for $400 which included lifetime service so it's not a reoccurring cost. Sling also has a thing called AirTV 2 which goes for $100 (that doesn't include DVR space which is BYOD on external HD's) which will connect to an antenna and integrate locals via OTA into the rest of your sling channels.

It's been 5 years now and I haven't missed normal cable at all. This Sling / OTA Antenna combo has worked great for us and i'll likely continue using it.
TPS Reports
AG
The biggest suck right now with pretty much all streaming services is lack of Bally's Sports (formerly Fox Sports regional networks). Dropped from YTTV, Hulu, Sling etc and no signs of coming back. AT&T has in on their steaming platform (AT&T Now?) but it may be the worst of the bunch and I hate it and can't wait to drop it as soon as Mavs season is over.

Otherwise I roll with YTTV and love it.
AggieFrog
AG
YTTV
Netflix
Discovery+
HBO Max (free with AT&T's mobile service)
Disney Plus
MLB.TV
NBA TV
VPN to watch Rangers and Mavs on those services
TPS Reports
AG
AggieFrog said:

I tried to figure this out but YouTube TV would never see me as being outside the Dallas area. Any pointers or resource to look at?
AggieFrog
AG
McKinney Ag said:

AggieFrog said:

I tried to figure this out but YouTube TV would never see me as being outside the Dallas area. Any pointers or resource to look at?

It works with MLB.TV & NBA TV. Haven't tried with YTTV.
agproducer
AG
Youtube TV ($55/mo with TMobile - looking to drop)
Hulu (no ads) $12.
Netflix $16
Prime (for shipping. Video is bonus)
Hehe streams for baseball season $20/mo
hph6203
AG
I could get by with paying my brother's Directv bill during football season to get access to ESPN's app (he gets a company discount for $10 per month, with HBO), hehestreams for basketball, and Prime and Netflix.

I have Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+, but never watch them and had ATTV Now for basketball up until I tried hehestreams. If the NBA would give me a legit way to pay for just their product rather than $80+/mo I wouldn't go this route.

YouTube Premium is the only thing I think I get full value for.
fig96
AG
We sub to more than we really need, but it's those one offs that get you (or at least me).

YoutubeTV, Netflix, and Disney+/ESPN/Hulu pretty much year round. Peacock for Premier League, currently have Paramount+ for Champions League and trying out Discovery+ (which actually a lot of great stuff).

Also AppleTV+, HBOMax, and Prime which are free/included with other services.
ManvelAg2006
AG
I only pay for high end cable internet which is about 80 bucks a month. Then I use my amazon fire tv and use an IPTV service which is only about 10 bucks a month and get all the channels. I just watch college football when in season but do watch a lot of boxing.
The Dog Lord
AG
Always: Netflix, HBO Max, Prime
Sometimes: Hulu, STARZ, Showtime, Disney+, AppleTV+

Did free trial of YouTube TV and Fubo for sports/NFL draft but cancelled them after.

I primarily use my Xbox 1 S for all of them but can also use the apps or chrome cast built into the Vizio tv.
Bunk Moreland
Always:
YTTV: $69.38 (will end if they disengage w/ roku)
Hulu no ads: $12.98
HBO Max: $14.98 (prepaid until 7/14/21)
Netflix: $3 avg (split with family month to month)
Amazon Prime (I don't factor in any monthly 'cost' for this as I order a ton off amazon every year w/ prime shipping)

Sometimes:
CBS All Access
Paramount +
Peacock
Apple+
Showtime
TPS Reports
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Always:
YTTV: $69.38 (will end if they disengage w/ roku)
I have seen people say this and just wondering, is it because of your sunk costs in Roku devices or you just like the simple interface or both? I have 5 Roku devices and like them fine for what they are but there are better streaming devices other there IMO. Some cost a lot more (Apple TV, Nvidia Shield) but I really like the new generation Chromecast and the UI with YTTV built in.
boy09
AG
I'm sure most people don't like being forced to buy all new hardware just because 2 huge corporations are currently in a stupid pissing contest.

And it's a lot easier to switch streaming services than it is to buy all new hardware. Plus, Roku users tend to be pretty loyal from what i've seen..
TPS Reports
AG
boy09 said:

I'm sure most people don't like being forced to buy all new hardware just because 2 huge corporations are currently in a stupid pissing contest.

And it's a lot easier to switch streaming services than it is to buy all new hardware. Plus, Roku users tend to be pretty loyal from what i've seen..
Easier, sure. Not necessarily better. Personally the streaming service itself based on features, channels, pricing, UI, etc. are more important to me than the device I watch it on.

I do think the new Chromecast devices are superior but agree that Roku folks are loyal - like I said I have 5 of them myself. For me, if I have to use a different device to keep YTTV that's my path, even if I also don't like corporate profiteering dictating it.

I was just curious about his view on it.
fig96
AG
It's always interesting to see people's loyalties to different platforms/hardware, personally I find Roku's ecosystem and interface really awkward and clunky.

I'm currently an AppleTV user, but I've also recently picked up a Chromecast as I'm really intrigued by the new GoogleTV platform.
Bunk Moreland
Both. Love the interface...personally think it's the simplest/best out there. I have also invested in multiple 4k roku streaming devices over the last year+ and at this point it's less of an annoyance to find another similar streaming tv provider than it is to swap everything out.

I'm sure the new chromecast is great. Their older gens sucked imo so it soured me. If Roku ever got completely iced out or fell way behind in quality then I'd shop again.
hph6203
AG
AppleTV has been the best platform. Followed by Roku, then FireTV, then Chromecast, but the new Chromecast probably bumps it on par with at least Roku.

FireTV is an abomination of disorganization.
TPS Reports
AG
hph6203 said:

AppleTV has been the best platform. Followed by Roku, then FireTV, then Chromecast, but the new Chromecast probably bumps it on par with at least Roku.

FireTV is an abomination of disorganization.
I am a Roku fan and have a bunch of them, but they are not even close to being on par with the new Chromecast devices. At least not from a UI standpoint. If scoring is based on having the most basic interface and simplest user experience then Roku is at the top of the list.
PatAg
AG
If you want to be legal, there is no way to watch regional sports without AT&T right now.
BQ2001
AG
Netflix (t mobile pays most)
MLB.tv (t mobile pays all)
Hulu no ads
Paramount+ (Would be first thing I cut)
Disney +
I really don't miss having all the cable channels anymore. Football season I watch the OTA games for the most part. Right now I watch more MLB than anything live.

I do have Apple TV free but only watched Ted Lasso on it
A is A
AG
Hulu Live TV
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Disney +
AppleTV (or whatever came with buying a new iPhone)
txag2k
AG
Thanks for everyone's posts (except the one chode who couldn't comprehend that I've already been OFF "cable" for years and have saved thousands over that time).

All the actual advice and feedback though is greatly appreciated! I'm going to use trials for several of the live TV providers and kinda want to see how the YT/Roku scuffle works out before I really commit.

Again, thanks and Gig 'Em!
htxag09
AG
ktownag08
AG
Even with the latest price increase on ATT TV Now, I'm still only paying $75 for the "grandfathered in we guarantee it'll be $35 plan".

It provides good value for us and FINALLY how ATT Sportsnet for the Astros so pretty happy with it actually.
agracer
AG
I have Netflix and Prime and free MLB TV (T-Mobile) + router based VPN most of the year. I get sling TV for football Aug-Jan then cancel after the title game.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I cut the cord in the Fall of 2012
My current hardware setup is mostly Roku's and some smart TVs

I now pay for:
$40 Internet connection thru Grande
$35 Sling Blue (For Live National News / No Sports)
$15 Netflix
$13 Hulu (w/ no-commercials)
$10 Amazon Prime (would own even without Prime streaming)
$0 HBO (free with AT&T Cellular)
$5 EPIX (occasionally)
$8 STARZ (occasionally)
-----------
$113 Base
$126 With 2 occasional add-ons

* FYI - I watched no sports aside from about 6-7 quarters of Aggie football last year
I have used in order for streaming live content Sling, PSTV, HuluTV, YTTV, and back to Sling Blue.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.