Better WiFi Across Whole House

2,619 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by adamsbq06
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like this is a very basic question, but I need to get this improved.

We have our modem and router (nether R7000) in our living room.

My wife and I often need to have a virtual meeting in our office on the other side of the house. The wireless isn't quite good enough on that side of the house. We average 80-100 down and 15 up on speedtest in the living room.

In the office there is an ethernet jack, but I don't know of another one in the house.

Can I run a hard wire from my router through the wall and attic to the ethernet plug in the office? Then, can I hook another device at the ethernet plug to get seamless wifi throughout my house better? If not, what is my best option. I want to be able to walk across my house and not have to switch which wifi I am connected to.

TIA, Ag major, very handy, just ignorant with networking.
lb3
AG
You can run wires for $50 + the cost of a WAP or install a mesh system.

What's your budget?
This is a thousand dollar system: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Whole-Tri-Band-System-RBK852/dp/B082LZKYFL

The Google Nest is less than half the price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMKD6SM

And the Google Wifi is half of that:
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-System-Router-Replacement/dp/B08GG9CMLR

I have an older Google Wi-Fi. It works great for us but I'm trying to divest myself of Google products and would choose a mid-market Orbi (not the high end one above) if I were looking for a mesh system today. I've got a fishing shack I'm looking to add internet to and will likely go with hardwired access points instead of a mesh system.

lb3
AG
Nm
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
I had to replace an R7000 this last summer. Got a Netgear - Orbi AC2200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (3-pack) - White. Very pleased although they aren't the cheapest option.

Spread them upstairs and downstairs and get much better WiFi coverage. Plus the remote units have an Ethernet port which allowed me to use a wired connection to my PS4.
black_ice
Go with mesh

Eero is fine.
G Martin 87
AG
TrustTheAwesomeness said:

I had to replace an R7000 this last summer. Got a Netgear - Orbi AC2200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (3-pack) - White. Very pleased although they aren't the cheapest option.

Spread them upstairs and downstairs and get much better WiFi coverage. Plus the remote units have an Ethernet port which allowed me to use a wired connection to my PS4.
I also replaced an R7000 with the same Orbi setup. Wifi connections have been rock solid across our house. BIG upgrade.
Tomdoss92
AG
we have an older system - Orbi RBR50 with a base and one satellite.

works great, never drop signal throughout two story 3200 sq ft house. covers back and front yards as well.
i tend to drop from wifi to LTE halfway down the block.
Madmarttigan
AG
My eero seems fast bust also seems like it has weird quirks and drops connection a lot even when they are hardwired.

Not sure that I am a fan but also spent a lot....
Formerly tv1113
grego
AG
I have the same orbi system. Is it possible to add another satellite without having to buy a whole new system?
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
It looks like there are individual satellite add-ons available to expand the system.
BearFan
I've heard good things about the Linksys Velop system - Amazon Link

May get one pretty soon.
Mule_lx
AG
I am bumping this because I still haven't fixed this. Are the recommendations above still the best? I dealt with it but now that my wife is working from home and you know how that goes.
ExPLK
AG
I've got an Orbi system. Highly recommend. Never have issues with signal quality or transitions/hand offs as we walk throughout our property.
Trench55
AG
I just installed a Netgear MR60 mesh system in my house, primarily to get WIFI out to my detached garage. I bought a 3-pack from Amazon and added an additional satellite for the garage. It works great - excellent signal throughout the house (3200sq.ft. single story ranch).
IslandAg76
AG
I was looking at mesh systems but first I bought i an Amplifi Alien router. This has greatly improved the coverage in my two story house. Haven't gotten around to expanding it yet.
Mule_lx
AG
Turns out I found an Ethernet cable hiding in my wall by my router. I plugged it in and the plug in my office does have internet. It is significantly slower than what my PS gets plugged in directly to my router. Before I put in a WAP in my office, what can I do to speed it up over the wire? Is it the wire quality in the wall?
Mule_lx
AG
Any help on my previous post?
adamsbq06
AG
it might not be punched down correctly.
Aggie Jurist
AG
I have a detached garage in my mountain house. I'm told I can run a satellite via the ethernet cable I have running to my switch. Do I have to connect the satellite directly to the main router or can it be via the switch?
LGB
Mule_lx
AG
AndrewAdamsAV said:

What does that mean?
adamsbq06
AG
Mule_lx said:

AndrewAdamsAV said:

What does that mean?
I remember I was getting slow speeds and I pull the wall plate and noticed the pairs of wires weren't terminated correctly.
andy@andrewadamsav.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.