LastPass changes

5,335 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LastPass making changes to their free program to where you can only view passwords on either mobile or PC, but not both. Does anyone use any other password programs they like?
Bregxit
AG
Use 1Password and it has been great.
jagouar1
AG
moved to bitwarden about 2 years ago, its a better product even before this and now its a nobrainer.
dave99ag
AG
Always good to hear about other password managers, but it's only $12 a year for LastPass.
Kampfers
AG
jagouar1 said:

moved to bitwarden about 2 years ago, its a better product even before this and now its a nobrainer.

I also made the switch to Bitwarden about a year ago and I haven't looked back.
Civen
AG
https://keepass.info/index.html

Free, unlimited users, unlimited devices, free, unlimited collections, host your own database file, free...
txaggie05
AG
dave99ag said:

Always good to hear about other password managers, but it's only $12 a year for LastPass.

It's $36/year now. But they're offering a first year 25% discount for current Free users who upgrade.
kb2001
AG
I've been stalling on switching to BitWarden for a few months, this will push me to finally do it.

txaggie05
AG
kb2001 said:

I've been stalling on switching to BitWarden for a few months, this will push me to finally do it.

Yup. Looks like I have a project to work on once I have functioning home internet.
YouBet
AG
Well, sh^t.

So, can you easily port passwords to other programs like moving your Favorites? If not, I might just pay the fee. That would be a nightmare.
txaggie05
AG
Here's what I'm going to try

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/import-from-lastpass/
YouBet
AG
txaggie05 said:

Thanks!
Vernada
AG
I knew they were changing the free version - didn't realize the premium I"m using was getting more expensive too.
txaggie79
AG
Another vote for Keepass. Used it for 10+ years.
AggieBarstool
Count me as +1 for moving to another tool (likely BW).
YouBet
AG
Quote:

We love being a part of the security routines of more than 20 million users across the world. As our community continues to grow, we need to adapt our offerings to keep up with the constantly evolving digital world.
These kinds of announcements always amuse me. IOW, we realized we could make more money by charging for this so it's no longer free.

As if no one sees that.
aggie_wes
AG
Switched to bitwarden this morning. Had been using lastpass for going on 7 years. Oh well. Made sure I let them know why in the comments when I deleted my LP account as well.
txam92
AG
Thanks for the tip on bidwarden. I'll be making the switch too as soon as power allows.
AtlAg05
AG
How does a password company ensure they aren't hacked?
tamusc
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Same as any other company. All of you passwords are encrypted with your master password though, so a hacker that steals all the hashed passwords will have to individually hack each user's set of files. Not exactly something that's easy to do given the algorithms used by the password managers and assuming people aren't a total idiot when selecting their master password.
kb2001
AG
AtlAg05 said:

They don't. They minimize the impact from a compromise. In the case of LastPass (and others), a user's data is encrypted with the user's master password. Even if the data is stolen by bad actors, they still have to crack each user's data. This takes long enough that you have plenty of time to update your passwords in this situation, so once the data is finally cracked open, it doesn't grant them access anywhere, provided you've updated you passwords.
tamusc
AG
To be clear, there's nothing new that's popped up with LastPass besides the change to their pricing model, is there? My premium membership is good until the end of May, so I might look at other options then.

I've been really happy with LastPass over the years and don't mind paying for something that's working well assuming the price is reasonable.
txaggie05
AG
tamusc said:

To be clear, there's nothing new that's popped up with LastPass besides the change to their pricing model, is there? My premium membership is good until the end of May, so I might look at other options then.

I've been really happy with LastPass over the years and don't mind paying for something that's working well assuming the price is reasonable.
Correct. Just a big jump from $0 to $36/year ($27 the first year) when there is a suitable alternative like Bitwarden available. Took me all of 10 min to move everything over following the instructions i posted earlier in this thread.
YouBet
AG
Of course, with LastPass being a/the leader in the industry in this space we could simply see BitWarden and others follow suit.
txaggie05
AG
True. But they did put this out today which made me slightly more comfortable. At least until they sell out.

kyledr04
AG
That's annoying but I rarely use my personal computer these days. I'll just type the password in from looking at my phone.
BadMoonRisin
AG
OK id like to jump in here. Im tired of either having to request a new password for each account or guess wrong or just not log into stuff because I dont know.

Let's say I want to dedicate a block of time to solve this problem. I have maybe 20-30 online accounts. How long would it take me to get one of these products and convert me and my wifes entire internet footprint to this service? I would be willing to pay for it for security, if waranted.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
The time required would mostly consist of how long it takes you to log into each site. After you have it installed in your browser, the password manager will ask if you want it to "remember" the password when you log in to each new site.
As a follow up step, you can go through each site again to change and use stronger passwords. The password manager can optionally generate a strong password for you so they can be strong and unique for each site.

I would estimate you will easily spend a few hours doing this.
BadMoonRisin
AG
RoyIII_Ag08 said:

The time required would mostly consist of how long it takes you to log into each site. After you have it installed in your browser, the password manager will ask if you want it to "remember" the password when you log in to each new site.
As a follow up step, you can go through each site again to change and use stronger passwords. The password manager can optionally generate a strong password for you so they can be strong and unique for each site.

I would estimate you will easily spend a few hours doing this.
Thank you. Which do you feel is most secure? I would be willing to dedicate time to this to secure our online logins.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
tamusc
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-password-managers/amp/

1Password, LastPass, and Bitwarden are all solid. There's a number of other good options out there as well.
kb2001
AG
txaggie05 said:

Thanks for posting, this worked like a charm and made it easy.
kb2001
AG
YouBet said:

Of course, with LastPass being a/the leader in the industry in this space we could simply see BitWarden and others follow suit.
You could, but Bitwarden is open source, and you can host your own server if you really want to. Meaning, instead of syncing through Bitwarden's servers, you could run your own and have all your browsers and apps sync with your own instead. If they get greedy and start to tick people off, another company could just fork it and set up their own service.

The real risk is if they get bought and the service gets morphed into something else or discontinued.
heddleston
AG
I've been using Dashlane for the past year or two and it's been great, but it definitely isn't as cheap as other options. Pretty sure I found a serious coupon code for it.
taxpreparer
AG
txaggie79 said:

Another vote for Keepass. Used it for 10+ years.

Same here.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
YouBet
AG
kb2001 said:

YouBet said:

You could, but Bitwarden is open source, and you can host your own server if you really want to. Meaning, instead of syncing through Bitwarden's servers, you could run your own and have all your browsers and apps sync with your own instead. If they get greedy and start to tick people off, another company could just fork it and set up their own service.

The real risk is if they get bought and the service gets morphed into something else or discontinued.

Good to know.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.