4K 65" TV Options

15,563 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by adamsbq06
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we are redoing our garage into a kids cave. Painted and epoxied over the break, for a foosball table, etc. Moving the living room TV into there and so I'm market for a new living TV.

Looks like 4K 65" range anywhere from $500-$2000. I'm looking to stay more midrange ($1200 or so).

We got a PS5 so I'm looking for 4K and 120hz.

Looks like the two moderate models I keep seeing listed on websites are:

- LG NanoCell 90 Series
- TCL 6 or 8 series

BestBuy has the TCL 8 Series on clearance right now for $1,125 but the one near me looks like it has an open box for $730 which on the surface seems like a potentially great deal.

Any recommendations in the price range? Or experience with the models above?
Jim01
AG
Just noticed TCL 8 Series has no HDMI 2.1. So that's a no.
FatZilla
AG
I always recommend OLED for any new TVs. This is in your budget range and you can find others with better deals at like microcenter or sams/costco. OLED picture quality is so much better than stock lcd/led.

Example 4k OLED 65" 120hz
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-oled-4k-uhd-smartcast-tv/6416848.p?skuId=6416848
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
jr15aggie
AG
I hear "kids" and my first thought is avoid an an OLED because if they pause something and leave it on the screen can have permanent burn in.

Pretty sure your best bet is the Samsung Q80T. No burn in and the picture is the next best thing to a Oled screen. It supports hdmi 2.1 (4K @ 120 hz gaming) and has great smart TV features. Will set you back around $1,600.
FatZilla
AG
The kids cave is getting the old tv and this goes in the main living area per OP. Also burn is doesn't really happen if you turn on the anti burn in features and run the screen clearing features every so often (run mine once a month usually, takes about an hour so ill set it to auto run when i turn it off for the night). I leave my oled paused for long periods sometimes when i get distracted and its anti burn in has done its job.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
Pman17
AG
TCL just announced new TVs coming this quarter.
Jim01
AG
Oh wow, when you mean just you mean today, although this link says most new models will be "later this year".

https://www.tcl.com/us/en/press-releases/tcl-strengthens-product-lineup-with-innovations-across-multiple-
jr15aggie
AG
Gotcha on the new TV location. I'm actually looking to upgrade my main TV as well. My kids will get my Samsung 2019 QLED 65" because we are completely re-doing their TV room. I am going to upgrade to a 4K / 120Hz model as well since I have a Series X.

I'm still researching, but at this very moment the Vizio P Series Quantum looks like a great choice (just under $1,200 at best buy for the 65" model). The Samsung Q80T is also in the running, but it only has 1 HDMI 2.1 input and doesn't support Dolby Vision. I love a lot about my current Samsung Q80R (2019 model) but I'm not as sold on some of its shortcomings. They aren't terrible, but given the price of the TV they shouldn't be there.

FYI the TCL 6 series is not HDMI 2.1 capable so you cannot get 4K / 120 Hz for your PS5.

rtings is always a great place to research... below is the link to their best TVs for next gen gaming:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ps5

AColunga07
AG
LG OLED

They all pretty much have the same video capabilities. You just pay extra for different sound/packaging options.
jr15aggie
AG
I will add that I'm also highly considering the LG CX 65"OLED. Will run $1,000 more than the Vizio P series which is a significant leap, but I keep hearing so many people claim you'll never go back once you go OLED.

I've always skimped a little on my previous TVs. Bought the previous year model or something to keep the price tag a bit more reasonable. I have a feeling that this will by my last TV purchase for a long time though and going with a TV that many consider the absolute best for gaming may be the best approach.
TriumphForks
AG
jr15aggie said:

I will add that I'm also highly considering the LG CX 65"OLED. Will run $1,000 more than the Vizio P series which is a significant leap, but I keep hearing so many people claim you'll never go back once you go OLED.

I've always skimped a little on my previous TVs. Bought the previous year model or something to keep the price tag a bit more reasonable. I have a feeling that this will by my last TV purchase for a long time though and going with a TV that many consider the absolute best for gaming may be the best approach.
Count me as one who went back after having OLED. I used to swear by it and I'd scoff at people when they would bring up burn in/other issues associated with OLED since in my mind the possibility was incredibly remote. The picture quality is unmatched but after having suffered through some burn in (the Kirby's Adventure HUD was forever etched into the picture.... my son loves that game but he didn't play it THAT much!!) and the dreaded green blob issue I decided the peace of mind of not having to worry about babysitting an OLED is worth a very slight knock to perfect black levels. I ditched the OLED and went with a Sony X900H and haven't looked back.
jr15aggie
AG
And it's A-holes like you that keep making me second guess every TV option. They all have a couple warts and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which warts I can live with. Ugh!
Jim01
AG
I was looking hard at the Sony X900H today. Created a slickdeal alert for it and a couple others just in case something pops up.
AColunga07
AG
Let me qualify:

I only have small children that are not allowed to watch tv. I pretty exclusively stream content from a 4K fire stick via YouTubeTV, Netflix, etc. All these apps and the fire stick itself has built in screen savers that prevent burn in. I'm pretty sure the tv has it built in too so regardless of input, if you pause indefinitely, it protects itself.

LG OLED, nothing compares. We can easily tell the difference when we watch stuff on other peoples tv.

Oh, and it goes w/out saying but make sure that your tv/content/device are all the same "level." A 4K tv that can do HDR/Dolby vision/etc with a non 4K device doesn't make sense. HDR/Dolby vision makes a big difference. if budget allows, LG OLED w/HDR/Dolby vision and a device with Dolby/hdr app/content is amazing.
hph6203
AG
Get the TCL. It's in your budget and it's a perfectly fine TV. Very good value for the money. If you can afford $1200, don't stretch to $1800 for an OLED. Think people read your range for $500-2000 and thought that was your budget, but at $1200 you're not going to get a 65" OLED.
FatZilla
AG
I say do the opposite. Dont skimp on your main entertainment device that will last you for 5-10years to come easily. If you have the budget to afford it, get it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Any guesses when 100" TVs will get below $8000? It's crazy you can buy 85 for 1500ish but the only two I've seen at 100" are $60k.

I'm debating when to replace my 1080p projector.
Take the trash out staff.
FatZilla
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Any guesses when 100" TVs will get below $8000? It's crazy you can buy 85 for 1500ish but the only two I've seen at 100" are $60k.

I'm debating when to replace my 1080p projector.

Better off going projection at that point. $2500 can get you one hell of a 4k projector that can go well above 100" easily.
kyledr04
AG
I have a LG oled 65in and Samsung 55in q80. Both are great. I feel like the picture on the oled is better especially for black and dark scenes. I think the Samsung is better for gaming but haven't done much on the lg. I wanted the oled for a wider viewing angle for our living room. And was worried about burn in so the Samsung for our playroom since the kids use it more.
htownag08
AG
In the same boat - have really been torn between the Samsung q80t and Sony 900H - been watching for deals for either of them.

I thought i read somewhere the TCL doesn't fully output 4k/120 Hz
Jim01
AG
That's correct, the TCL doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so can't do 4k/120Hz
WES2006AG
AG
FatZilla said:

I always recommend OLED for any new TVs. This is in your budget range and you can find others with better deals at like microcenter or sams/costco. OLED picture quality is so much better than stock lcd/led.

Example 4k OLED 65" 120hz
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-oled-4k-uhd-smartcast-tv/6416848.p?skuId=6416848
I did a lot of research and I bought this Vizio OLED in the 55". This is the first nice TV that I have bought and the picture quality is amazing. I bought this TV to pair with my Series X and there were some issues with 4K120 working with VRR (variable refresh rate) turned on but that seems to have been fixed with a firmware update this week. The Vizio also goes on sale from time to time with the 55" as low as $899 and the 65" as low as $1500 so far, of course I was an early adopter and didn't get that price but I am still very happy with my purchase.

For those considering the X900H from Sony there are rumors online about Sony cancelling the planned VRR firmware update so I would keep that in mind if it end up being true.

And as someone mentioned already CES is this week and a lot of manufacturers are showing off their 2021 models.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll second the opinion that waiting may not be a bad idea. I'm not a TV expert, but I'm pretty knowledgeable and been researching quite a bit over the last several days for my own upgrade. Feels like all of the current TVs have one or two hangups that will effect you if you are looking to get a 4K / 120 hz TV for next gen gaming.

I'd be surprised if we don't see a handful of solid next gen gaming TVs from all the big players this year. As it was said, CES should reveal a lot. And considering the display tech is mostly the same, prices should hold or even come down a little.
evan_aggie
AG
I went 65" LG CX and it is awesome, but my next up would have been the Q80(T... I think) as others have recommended.
jr15aggie
AG
evan_aggie said:

I went 65" LG CX and it is awesome, but my next up would have been the Q80(T... I think) as others have recommended.

Nice! If I pull the trigger now the CX is probably the choice. Q80T is good, but it also only has one HDMI port that can do the 4k / 120 hz gaming. On the off chance that I end up getting a PS5 to add to my Series X then I'll be frustrated at only having 1 next gen gaming input.

Plus, I currently have a Q80R and the Q80T is a step down from that... the Q90T is the 2020 the equivalent.... Samsung getting ridiculous with their year-to-year model sequencing! Plus the Q series TVs also don't support Dolby Vision for who knows what reason.... I've pretty much eliminated that brand for now, but they are fantastic looking TVs and I really like the user interface.
WES2006AG
AG
Not supporting Dolby Vision was a deal breaker for me, especially with the Series X supposed to support gaming in Dolby Vision later this year. Pretty sure it is licensing thing but who knows. On my OLED Dolby Vision blows both HDR10 and HDR10+ content out of the water, not even a comparison.
TriumphForks
AG
Lack of Dolby Vision is why I decided against Samsung and went with a Sony. Kind of ridiculous but I believe Samsung was involved in the creation of HDR10+ so I guess it makes sense for them to try and push it.
jr15aggie
AG
Yep, I read the same thing... they were really pushing HDR10+ but Dolby Vision has pretty much already won the race and people are moving forward with it.

So that's the knock against Samsung units and it's a deal breaker with Xbox backing Dolby Vision. I'm not opposed to Vizio, but I'm hearing most of their models need firmware upgrades before the VRR stuff works like it is suppose to. The VRR has been great on my Samsung so I'd feel cheated buying a new set that is in some ways inferior to what I already have.

The LG CX appears to be the only real TV that checks all the boxes. The only knock on it is it does not support the full 48 GB data rate on their HDMI 2.1 ports. It apparently won't effect 4K/120 gameplay, but technically it could be a bottleneck in the future (but doubtful).

So like I said above, it's sort of exhausting trying to make sure my possibly $2,000+ money is spent appropriately. But it's somewhat understandable given that next gen gaming consoles just hit the market 2 months ago.
WES2006AG
AG
The LG CX was the first of the 2020 TV's to get their HDMI 2.1 features working and all reports are it works great. I was beside myself when I opened my Xbox Series X only to realize that the Vizio OLED TV I bought to go with it was not working at 4K120 with VRR. I'm actually still waiting on that update to hit my TV as I type this. It has been released but not here yet. All reports on Reddit and AVS Forums are saying Vizio figured it out and that is a major relief for me.

For those looking at the X900h it looks like the rumor that they were eliminating the VRR firmware update did end up being false so that TV is likely to work great with the next gen consoles once they do.
jr15aggie
AG
Great info, thanks! Hoping Vizio comes through quickly. I can't imagine Sony not getting their crap together... they are killing it with PS5, last thing they need are brand loyal fans losing their crap because the TV that was advertised as Next Gen ready doesn't fully support their new Sony console.
jr15aggie
AG
Costco just put the LG CX on sale... 65" model for $1,949 and also includes $100 protection plan.
kyledr04
AG
That's a good deal
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like it's mostly a universal discount... BB has a similar price below $2K now (Costco still better deal with protection plan included).

No doubt they are clearing the way for the 21 models. Only question now is to strike at discounts or go with this years version which may or may not be more "next gen" game capable.
Jim01
AG
Was hoping to see some Super Bowl sales but haven't seen much so far.
FatZilla
AG
jr15aggie said:

Looks like it's mostly a universal discount... BB has a similar price below $2K now (Costco still better deal with protection plan included).

No doubt they are clearing the way for the 21 models. Only question now is to strike at discounts or go with this years version which may or may not be more "next gen" game capable.

Costco gives extra year warranty too i believe just standard on its electronics. So 2 year standard + the 100 plan on top.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.