MOCA vs Powerline

875 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bryan98
IslandAg76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just upgraded from Xfinity modem/router to Arris SB 8200 modem and Luxul XWR 3150 router.
Trying to add some better wi-fi coverage on ground floor and a little outside (elevated house in Galveston.

Conforming to my rule--"nothing is as easy as it should be" I'm having difficulty deciding between these two. I think one of them would be my best options as opposed to mesh or range extender or trying to run Cat 6. (Coax hookup is already there.)

Appreciate any input on ease of installation/setup. Cost of one vs the other. Will other brands play well with my new equipment or should I stay within the brand? Will both of these create one seamless network or will I be switching from one network to another as I move?

Thanks
Ken
dubi
AG
Why didn't you buy a mesh router to start with?
FatZilla
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Just upgraded from Xfinity modem/router to Arris SB 8200 modem and Luxul XWR 3150 router.
Trying to add some better wi-fi coverage on ground floor and a little outside (elevated house in Galveston.

Conforming to my rule--"nothing is as easy as it should be" I'm having difficulty deciding between these two. I think one of them would be my best options as opposed to mesh or range extender or trying to run Cat 6. (Coax hookup is already there.)

Appreciate any input on ease of installation/setup. Cost of one vs the other. Will other brands play well with my new equipment or should I stay within the brand? Will both of these create one seamless network or will I be switching from one network to another as I move?

Thanks
Ken
Powerline, easy choice. Just set up an access point wherever you need it next to a wall plug.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
IslandAg76
AG
because I didn't know I needed/wanted one. Bought what was recommended by the expert (salespeople).
AtlAg05
AG
Another vote for powerline, easy to setup and place wherever you need it. You can also have multiple adapters.
IslandAg76
AG
Thanks all
OK, my understanding is I need an Ethernet connection from router to powerline thing which plugs into an electrical outlet near the router. Then I need another "thing" plugged into electrical outlet somewhere else which connects with an Ethernet cable to a Wi-Fi access point.

Correct?
Fenrir
It doesn't have to be a WiFi access point, could just hardwire the downstream devices.

I have 4 poweline devices plugged in at my house. They all work great for hardwire. They are supposed to act as wifi extenders as well but that function seems lackluster.
IslandAg76
AG
Thanks-so you have a choice for the distant powerline adapter-connect directly to device with Cat 6 or connect to Wi-Fi access device.

Intended purpose is to provide a good signal on ground floor for cell phone, pellet grill, I pad, etc type conventions
Fenrir
I would expect that a separate WiFi access point would work better than the built in wifi extender mine have.

Just FYI, the speed listed on them is for the device located at the router. So if it is 600 mbps then your entire system is capped at that, not each individual downstream power line device.
spherical
AG
Be aware that you can sometimes have issues between sections of the house depending on how the wiring was done. I'd get one pair and verify different outlets before going all in
~ if mercy falls upon the broken and the poor, dear Father, I will see you there on distant shores...
FatZilla
AG
spherical said:

Be aware that you can sometimes have issues between sections of the house depending on how the wiring was done. I'd get one pair and verify different outlets before going all in

Is this still true? I know it used to be with very old breaker boxes causing issues but any modern single family home(or even an older home if the box has been updated to modern code) i haven't heard about this still causing issues.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
spherical
AG
FatZilla said:

spherical said:

Is this still true? I know it used to be with very old breaker boxes causing issues but any modern single family home(or even an older home if the box has been updated to modern code) i haven't heard about this still causing issues.

It's just something I came across when researching for a setup in my parents house - my buddy is a great network engineer and warned me of it as well, but come to think of it- his example was his parents house which was huge and quite old. Just wanted to mention it as worth checking!
~ if mercy falls upon the broken and the poor, dear Father, I will see you there on distant shores...
Bryan98
AG
I have a wifi router in my closet, and my house has ethernet. I have Powerline going to the one room in my house with no ethernet access, and I have it going directly into a PC via ethernet cable from the Powerline adapter.

I also have a wireless range extender in another room. It's actually marketed as a wireless repeater, but there's an apparently undocumented ability for it to take internet into its ethernet jack and be a wireless access point using that.

It's a little Frankenstein, but I tried mesh once with Orbis and they didn't work for me. Might have got a lemon, I dunno.
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.