WiFi Mesh

1,484 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by adamsbq06
Aggiemundo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there have been a number of threads on the different systems but I was hoping for some further advice on a specific wireless mesh need I have.

I've got a house on a larger piece of property and have a work shed about 50-60 yards away from the office in the house where my router is. What would be the best way to get WiFi out to the shed given that? I was considering the Orbi three router system to bridge that and maybe cover the rest of the home. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
chilidogfood
AG
I have an Orbi and wouldnt think that the range would extend that far.

Your best bet for speed and reliability would be to bury a cable and hardwire an orbi satellite in the shed.

Another option would be to look into a wireless bridge. Ubiquity Unify has a building to building bridge option that could work for you. UniFi Bridge
saw em off
If you go the bridge route and you have any trees between the two buildings, leaves are falling off right now and it may work great, but in the spring when leaves return and are full, it may not.
Whoop Delecto
AG
AgsMyDude
AG
I'll echo the other recommendation of burying a line. Rent a trencher and bury a cat5 or cat6 in conduit from your house out to the shed. Can just put another wireless router inside the shed hooked up to the line you ran.

I did this project 4 tears ago and extremely happy with it.
Aggiemundo
AG
Thanks for the advice guys. Thought about running a cable and that would likely be easiest, but there is a concrete pad driveway between the buildings and I'm just not sure I want to mess with it.

I was instead considering a WiFi bridge like this UeeVii Wireless Bridge.

If I have an Orbi mesh through the main house, could I tie one of these to the output of the router, put an Orbi access point on the other side in the shop, and have phones and things easily connect to it as the same network?
black_ice
Maybe try a powerline adapter? Assuming you have electric in the work shed.
eric76
AG
black_ice said:

Maybe try a powerline adapter? Assuming you have electric in the work shed.
Generally speaking, I think that for powerline adaptors, they have to be on the same power leg. If different legs, don't expect them to work. If on a different transformer, really don't expect them to work.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
I just bought an Orbi AX6000. Haven't measured the range, but it sent me a message yesterday that our neighbor's ipad had connected to our network -- from across the street in their home. Nothing nefarious, guessing it just remembered the setting from a previous visit on our slower wifi.

Really happy with it so far, super fast and not a dead zone in the house.
country
AG
Go with Ubiquiti to do this. Either their mesh system or point to point antennas. Either will accomplish what you want and will be much better quality than anything else. Ubiquiti isn't simply plug and play though. It does require a little bit of network setup but YouTube can get you through it.
adamsbq06
AG
Replaced my Orbi with the Ubiquity Dream Machine and a couple access points. Much improved throughput.

I am installing a Dream Machine Pro plus Wifi 6 in a new construction build in the new year. Looking forward to comparing the two.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.