Can't miss backboard

1,320 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BrazosDog02
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the nerdiest thing I've seen in a long time...

TravelAg2004
AG
I've watched a bunch of his videos. All really cool projects.

What I want to know is what he does for a living to have all those tools and that much "free time".
powerbelly
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

What I want to know is what he does for a living to have all those tools and that much "free time".
He has 1.8MM subscribers and that video has 14MM views. This is what he does for the living.
Philip J Fry
AG
One of many inventions from my childhood that I said I would do, but never did.
javajaws
AG
If he'd just go ahead and invent gravity control he could have avoided all that mechanical junk.
Bregxit
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Besides his YT channel he is the lead engineer of Formlabs Inc. He designs and invents new 3D printing technology....has a bunch of patents.
lb3
AG
That started me down the rabbit hole of stuff made here and smarter every day videos.

I'm grateful I don't have a shop like his and the time and disposable income to design stuff like that. I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself a thousand times over by now.
TravelAg2004
AG
Bregxit said:

TravelAg2004 said:

Besides his YT channel he is the lead engineer of Formlabs Inc. He designs and invents new 3D printing technology....has a bunch of patents.
That makes sense. His YT channel looks like it didn't start until COVID hit and everyone was home. His first video is from Marc 2020.

Thanks!
jr15aggie
AG
I was a EE at A&M... humble brag, graduated with honors. I wasn't the best engineer, but I was really good at math.

All that to say, this video stresses me out with so much that I don't know. I've been out of engineering for 14+ years now and this stuff might as well be a foreign language. His comment on linear algebra kills me cause I remember none of it now.
Eliminatus
AG
jr15aggie said:

I was a EE at A&M... humble brag, graduated with honors. I wasn't the best engineer, but I was really good at math.

All that to say, this video stresses me out with so much that I don't know. I've been out of engineering for 14+ years now and this stuff might as well be a foreign language. His comment on linear algebra kills me cause I remember none of it now.

I'm an engineering student now and have accepted that I am probably going to be a "check in the box for a requirement" engineer. Probably mid level management or similar. I look at this stuff and though I feel like I am capable of it if I really try, there is also no way in hell I am going to do it.

There are engineers and then there are REAL engineers. This man does REAL engineering and I am jealous of his mind.
Eliminatus
AG
Proposition Joe
Yeah it's hard not to watch these videos and feel like less of a tech.
jr15aggie
AG
Eliminatus said:

jr15aggie said:

I'm an engineering student now and have accepted that I am probably going to be a "check in the box for a requirement" engineer. Probably mid level management or similar. I look at this stuff and though I feel like I am capable of it if I really try, there is also no way in hell I am going to do it.

There are engineers and then there are REAL engineers. This man does REAL engineering and I am jealous of his mind.

Don't accept anything. I had the same issue, I was always troubled by what I didn't know. As an engineer you are exposed to a ton of crap that makes you feel dumb.

Just don't forget we are all selling ourselves first and foremost. Your ability to genuinely and confidently communicate with your mangers, clients, etc. is just as (or more) important than your technical prowess.

Fortunately for us, most guys that are this crazy smart have very little charisma so there is still high demand for people less brilliant!
ABATTBQ11
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Bregxit said:

TravelAg2004 said:

That makes sense. His YT channel looks like it didn't start until COVID hit and everyone was home. His first video is from Marc 2020.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same. I was like, "WhereTF did you get a CNC plasma cutter for funzies?" but it makes a lot of sense given his background.
BrazosDog02
AG
jr15aggie said:

Eliminatus said:

jr15aggie said:

Don't accept anything. I had the same issue, I was always troubled by what I didn't know. As an engineer you are exposed to a ton of crap that makes you feel dumb.

Just don't forget we are all selling ourselves first and foremost. Your ability to genuinely and confidently communicate with your mangers, clients, etc. is just as (or more) important than your technical prowess.

Fortunately for us, most guys that are this crazy smart have very little charisma so there is still high demand for people less brilliant!

Hahaha. This.

Not an engineer but was a Geophysicist. There were so many technical guys and managers that really fit one or the other.

"Ok...you probably shouldn't be touching a workstation. Just make our clients buy stuff."

"Ok...you just sit in this closet and make smart stuff and try not to talk to clients."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.