Using external SSD for upgrading PC for gaming?

362 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
FlyFisher99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgive my ignorance, but we got a PC last year and with the size of games my kids download, the hard drive is basically full. I've looked and it seems using a good sized SSD is a potential fix to the issue. Is this true? Can I simply plug and play with an external drive and the PC would see the drive as additional storage? I guess the real question is, can you use the external drive to download additional games with ease. The drive would stay with the PC permanently. Any thoughts and thanks in advance.
FatZilla
AG
FlyFisher99 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but we got a PC last year and with the size of games my kids download, the hard drive is basically full. I've looked and it seems using a good sized SSD is a potential fix to the issue. Is this true? Can I simply plug and play with an external drive and the PC would see the drive as additional storage? I guess the real question is, can you use the external drive to download additional games with ease. The drive would stay with the PC permanently. Any thoughts and thanks in advance.
Yes you can but it would be better to put it inside and use a SATA cable for connection or is this a laptop? What ports do you have externally to connect to? What is the model you bought?
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
FlyFisher99
AG
FatZilla said:

FlyFisher99 said:

Yes you can but it would be better to put it inside and use a SATA cable for connection or is this a laptop? What ports do you have externally to connect to? What is the model you bought?
It's for a desktop. I can't find the manuals right now, but it's an iBuyPower Gaming Desktop, something similar to this iBuyPower Tower. It's got a total of about 6 USB ports (including 3.0), an HDMI, display ports. When I open the case it has the 1TB hard drive and appears to have another SSD drive above that, though I can't pull that one out without pulling hard and I don't want to do that.

I know squat about anything regarding updating desktops internally. The only thing I used to do was add more RAM in the old days 128kb at a time...
FatZilla
AG
FlyFisher99 said:

FatZilla said:

FlyFisher99 said:

It's for a desktop. I can't find the manuals right now, but it's an iBuyPower Gaming Desktop, something similar to this iBuyPower Tower. It's got a total of about 6 USB ports (including 3.0), an HDMI, display ports. When I open the case it has the 1TB hard drive and appears to have another SSD drive above that, though I can't pull that one out without pulling hard and I don't want to do that.

I know squat about anything regarding updating desktops internally. The only thing I used to do was add more RAM in the old days 128kb at a time...
Adding a new drive is pretty easy. It just needs a power cable and the SATA cable. SATA is a plug into your motherboard, your other 2 drives will have the same cables running to the mobo. Power will be the same but from the power supply unit. With SSD's not having moving parts, i just have mine sitting int he 3.5" drive bay, not really mounted to the unit.

This should take care of all you need to install a new drive. The SATA data cable you will run to a sata port on the motherboard and the power cable you will just split off from one of your current drives for simplicity.

SATA 3 cable: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18-Inch-Cable-Locking-90-Degree/dp/B009GUXU52/
SATA power Splitter: https://www.amazon.com/Zheino-Splitter-6-Inch-Y-Splitter-Extension/dp/B01MZBDDPM
1TB SSD: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-QVO-SATA-MZ-77Q1T0B/dp/B089C73T72/

For opening the case, both sides can be removed. You will want to open the second side for easy access to the cables of your drives.

Once its installed you will need to initialize the drive and format it for use. Then you are good to go. Just start installing games to that drive when you install then.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-format-new-hard-drive-windows-10
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.