New home PC

548 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wildmen03
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just realized my home desktop PC is over 10 years old..for the most part it runs ok. I

have a 1 TB external hard drive and it also had my previous computers hard drive installed as a secondary hard drive.

I guess I have been kicking the can down the road because of the thought of trying to consolidate all of pics and files gives me a headache but I need to do something.

Been looking at all in 1 machines like this below but Im not sure what I would be missing or what I really need.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-all-in-one-24-df0138xt

All I really want is a fast computer for mosty internet stuff and excel/word kids work activities....maybe some streaming of something to the TV.

What should I be zeroing in on?

Would like to put it on a desk that faces outward so the less wires having to run everywhere (IE desktop main) the better which is why I like the all in one.
lb3
AG
I've got a Dell tablet for work that I'm generally happy with. (Except the *******s think a 256MB hard drive is insufficient for a 20+ year employee.)

When I'm in the office it connects to a pair of monitors using a single USB-C connector. Pretty clean from a wire management perspective. The keyboard is magnetic so the tablet sticks to the side of a filing cabinet out of the way and doesn't take up any horizontal real estate.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I had one of those for a while, and I really liked being able to take notes on a tablet without a keyboard. Problem was that the weird way it propped itself up when open meant using it on my lap or on a tray table on an airplane was a giant pain in the ass.
Jack Pearson
AG
If I want a desktop or all in one, what are the key things it needs to have?

IS a TB of a HD a must? What is up with the SSD drives now too? Why is a 256GB SSD better? I have seen some that have a 1 TB HD plus a 256 GB SSD.

How much min memory?

USB ports, graphics card, wifi card?

I am sure being that mine is 10 years old anything is going to feel fast..but I dont want any issues with video dragging or streaming issues.....want to have plenty of memory and HD space.

Intel or AMD?
Wildmen03
AG
I went through this process building machines for people to work from home with and learning stations at a daycare. Prices have gone up since the quarantine started but prices are starting to drop thankfully.

I bought a bunch of Lenovo Thinkcentre m93z AiO computers off of eBay. Most of them were under $150. I bought a bunch of Crucial MX500 500gb drives for $60 each and a bunch of 8gb ram kits for about 50. I asked $300 for each and always moved them pretty quick.

These weren't the newest machines out there, but were plenty fast for home office and the built-in cameras are great for zoom calls. I mistakenly got one with a touch screen from a seller and kept that one for myself. Still use it daily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.