new to nintendo switch

4,615 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ChampsAg
The Grinder (99)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ok, just got my kids (10 and 12, but mostly the 10 year old boy) a switch for xmas. I'm not much into games so was wondering a few things:

first off, the controllers:

1) it comes with one of the joy-con controllers. looks like you may need this type of some of the games that use the hand action? is that right? if so, it is best to get another joy-con controller for multi-player games?

2) should I get some of the regular controllers as well? I was thinking maybe have 2 joy con and 2 PowerA wireless

Second:
what games to get? It comes with Mario cart 8. I was wondering what other good games? maybe Mario Odyssey, just dance (need joy con?); Mario Tennis? super smash brothers? animal crossing?

thanks
immortal_kumquat
If you want a third party controller look at the Hori brand wired controller. Well made and not too expensive. The PowerA controller is not very good. Also grab a year of Nintendo online for $20, that will get them access to a good selection of NES and SNES games, they add a few titles every couple of months.

Odyssey is good, I'd also recommend either of the Zelda titles, and Mario Party if they can ever have friends over again that would be good.
MW03
AG
I have been playing the stink out of Hades lately. Great little "dungeon crawler" game with a ton of stuff to do on the side.

Mario Kart 8 is a truly excellent game if you have enjoyed any of the previous iterations.

Super Mario Deluxe U is a really solid traditional mario side-scroller.

My kiddo loves Luigi's Mansion, and I have fun playing it with him. He also likes the lego games, and nearly all of those are on sale right now for cyber monday. Make sure you get a memory card for the system if you plan to download any of the titles digitally.

The Joy Con controller is definitely made for little hands, so keep that in mind if you want to play with your kids. I have been suffering through just because i don't want to have another piece of equipment around the house, but I'm thinking I might have to get some secondary controller.

Pman17
AG
A second set of joy cons is nice but not necessary. It depends on the game. There's only like two games that would need them and that's Mario Party and Just Dance. Mario Kart 8 allows you to use a single joycon if you don't have extra controllers so you can split the joy cons from a switch out of the box.

My controller recommendations are the Nintendo Switch Pro controller, that's the best of the best. It's expensive because of it's gimmicks such as the NFC sensor and Accelerometer which is always optional and rarely ever used. The other recommendation is 8Bitdo Wireless Controllers.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller $60

8BitDo SN30Pro+ $50

8BitDo SN30Pro $45 (I love traveling with this one)

You can go wired but keep in mind you're limited to two USB ports on the front and wires may not be long enough.
CDub06
AG
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a must
dodger02
AG
My girls are 10 and 13. Here are the games we they play the most:

Zelda: BOTW
Zelda: Link's Awakening (cheesy)
Mario Kart
Minecraft
Luigi's Mansion
Super Smash Bros
Mario Odyssey
Mario Party (got old pretty quickly)
NES/SNES (especially if you don't have a Pi or the retro consoles)

I've purchased a lot of extra joy con controllers for Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Smash Bros. Plus, the joysticks have broken on a few and several drift. I know there's a fix on YouTube for the drift but I've found that those just delay the inevitable breakage.

I also have the $60 Nintendo controller for games like BOTW being played on the TV.
The Fife
Swapping the joystick component is quick and simple if it's something you're up for doing. Parts aren't expensive either.
flakrat
AG
I remember as a kid breaking Atari 2600 controllers and having to repair them with whatever I could find in the workshop.
flakrat
AG
My daughter and her cousins really like Just Dance on Xbox (cousins system).

I ordered a copy of the 2021 game for her Switch for Xmas, interested to see how out works with the joycon.

Also ordered some joycon Sports Straps

Sports Strap for Nintendo Switch Ring Fit Adventure and Just Dance 2021 2020 2019 Joy-Cons Controller Game Accessories Kit, Adjustable Elastic Leg Strap and Wrist Bands for Switch Joy-Cons Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZX116CH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_ZKUXFbGG807MS
Jim01
AG
WalMart has the pro controller with a digital code for Mario Odyssey for $69 today. That's a must deal in your situation IMHO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller-with-Super-Mario-Odyssey-Full-Game-Download-Code/925436036
The Fife
Jim01 said:

WalMart has the pro controller with a digital code for Mario Odyssey for $69 today. That's a must deal in your situation IMHO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller-with-Super-Mario-Odyssey-Full-Game-Download-Code/925436036
There's also 8bitdo which will let you use pretty much any wireless controller from the PS3/Wii era and newer with a Switch or computer. I use my Wii U pro controller with the Switch, but for OP and whoever else the Switch Pro controller + Mario Odyssey deal is really good!
Pman17
AG
The Fife said:

Swapping the joystick component is quick and simple if it's something you're up for doing. Parts aren't expensive either.

Another fix is buying a $10 can of QD Contact Cleaner and spraying under the stick skirts. Temporary but works. Eventually you'll have to replace them. Idk, price on parts but a lot of Chinese handheld emulators are using Switch joy con sticks so there must be a massive supply of these for just a few bucks per part.

Edit: ah yes, $1.50 for a stick replacement part on AliExpress. Looks like I've got a new project. Thanks Fife for bringing that up!
The Fife
They're all over on Amazon and eBay too if you want it to show up a little faster. You'll need a Y screwdriver to open the case btw but they're cheap too.
The Grinder (99)
AG
great tip! just saw this but was still able to get it at my local walmart. thanks was actually on the fence of getting odyssey or not so this is a no brainer
Jim01
AG
Nintendo will fix the drifting ones for free you know?

My console I got on launch day, mailed in my drifting JoyCon whenever they reopened their service center after COVID and they replaced it with a new JoyCon no charge and no questions.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789
dodger02
AG
Didn't know.

Thank you.
khkman22
AG
My oldest son has a switch that he bought with his own money. He lets his younger brothers play on it some, but understandably is cautious with it because he paid for it himself. My middle son wants to buy his own now so he can play when he wants to.

Would it make any sense to have two in the same household? Can any of the games be shared between the two? I assume the Mario Kart 8 digital download that came with the bundle last year can't be put on the second one at the same time? Other than some of the cheap eShop games he has downloaded, I think the other games are all the card version.

I paid the $20 for the online account. Can that be shared across multiple Switches?

What about the second Switch being the Lite version? I looked at it last year and told my son not to get it because I figured he would regret some of the limitations of it. I haven't looked at it since then so I don't know if it might make sense in this situation.
Tanya 93
Our son has asked for Super Mario 3D All-Stars because it came out in Oct but will be pulled off the shelves in March. Reading about it, it seems like a fun game. He also loves Luigi's Mansion.

Pman17
AG
The Fife said:

They're all over on Amazon and eBay too if you want it to show up a little faster. You'll need a Y screwdriver to open the case btw but they're cheap too.

I've got a full Chinese electronics repair tool kit a friend bought for me for Christmas 4 years ago. It's got almost every weird proprietary screwdriver. Highly recommend anyone that reads this to invest in one, there's some with tons of small screw bits for $20 on Amazon. There's also tool kits on iFixit but they're expensive. I've used it to swap out joycon cases because the plastic cracked.
The Fife
Does it come in a red case with about 50 bits? We might have the same one. Half of it was stuff that I've never even seen before.
Jackal99
AG
Did you send in both, or just one? I need to have mine fixed, and am fine with sending them in as I have a pro controller as well. Curious which ones they want sent and will fix.
Jim01
AG
My left JoyCon had the drifting issue so all I did was send in the left and they replaced it.
The Fife
Let me know if they're still taking them when you try. I've read mixed reports about whether or not they're still doing it.
Jackal99
AG
I just filled out a request online today. They told me they'd email me instructions when my place in line was up. An hour later, I got an email with instructions and a mailing label to print. Haven't sent them yet, but it looks good.
agproducer
AG
I would also say Animal Crossing: New Horizons. My wife and daughter love that game. I've spent several hours playing as well.
planoaggie123
AG
What age do you all recommend for Switch?

My wife is wanting to get them for our kids...5 and 7....feels like they are 1 or 2 years away but I could be wrong...
Jackal99
AG
My son is 7 and has no problem playing it. He loves Animal Crossing, but also plays Mario games, MLB games, and others with no problem. He's better at the Switch than my wife is.
MW03
AG
planoaggie123 said:

What age do you all recommend for Switch?

My wife is wanting to get them for our kids...5 and 7....feels like they are 1 or 2 years away but I could be wrong...

My buddy's 6 year old is nails with it, so I think you're in the sweet spot.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks for the responses!
planoaggie123
AG
Kids have really enjoyed the Switch and Mario Kart! They love racing each other.

Now for me. I am wanting a sports game. Any recommendations? I was thinking about FIFA but the reviews are not awesome mainly because it apparently hasn't been updated in years. Open to soccer, golf, baseball or basketball.
heddleston
AG
Basically all sports games (especially those with actual league licensing) are the same in that regard, unfortunately. Very little innovation, just roster updates. Having said that, Fifa is still a blast. The NBA 2k series is fun if you want basketball and for baseball I'd say to look at Super Mega Baseball 3.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks! May go with FIFA. Looks like it's on sale for 29.99...
Jackal99
AG
The Fife said:

Let me know if they're still taking them when you try. I've read mixed reports about whether or not they're still doing it.

Update: I sent them in on Saturday, December 12, with a UPS label they sent me. I got four new controllers back on Wednesday, December 23. The surface seems grippier than the old ones and no drift. I'm a little surprised that they replaced all four for free after such a long time, but I'm happy.
The Fife
How'd you get in contact with them, through whatever warranty link there is on their site?
diehard03
Quote:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a must

Word of warning - you need to throw everything you know about Zelda out of mind when you play it.

It's very fun, very cool, but a complete departure from normal Zelda linear progression/exploration.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.