Searching for an XBox One. Wow.

4,063 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieKatie2
Maroon Elephant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is nothing out there and the used ones are going for more than I paid brand new four years ago. We are trying to score one from my nephew who loves Minecraft but I'm not dropping $450 on a 4-year old console! Anyone have any hacks to offer for finding a good deal?
aggiejohn
AG
GameStop.com has the original Xbox One black 500GB (used) for $210.
immortal_kumquat
Get an Nvidia Shield for $129, some friends have one and their kids play minecraft all day long on it.
jr15aggie
AG
I had to look for myself... son of a gun, you're right. The One S is out of stock. I've gotta think they will get more in. I know they discontinued the One X as well as the One S digital edition, but the Disc version of the One S is still being produced. I've gotta think they'll be back in stock before Christmas, just keep your eyes open.
htownag08
AG
I'm about to get my Xbox Series X and will not need my old XBox One any longer. It's not a special edition or anything but was considering selling it anyways. Let me know if you are interested - tghinelli 00 @gmail. com
Maroon Elephant
AG
Thanks for the help but my MIL just scored one at a local game resell shop. She paid $300 for an XBox One S with a controller.
Iowaggie
AG
I just ordered one (XBox One S) from Costco.com for $289.99
It won't be shipped until 12/17, however.
Leander - Ag
AG
I see Costco has a 1TB for $250
Pman17
AG
I posted your thread on the Series X thread. There might be some people on the forums willing to sell their One after upgrading to as Series.

If hadn't sold my Xbox One S on ebay, I would have offered it up. It was in excellent condition.
PoppaB05
AG
If anybody is still looking I have one I would part with with a controller and a few games for $200 in Houston. Pretty lightly used as I'm keeping my primary one until I can find an X.
WES2006AG
AG
Maroon Elephant said:

Thanks for the help but my MIL just scored one at a local game resell shop. She paid $300 for an XBox One S with a controller.
That seems like a crazy price for a One S at this point considering the Series S is also $300. With that said the Series S is likely much harder to find.
Azariah
AG
Why are they so expensive? Good enough, discontinued, and the Series X/S is too expensive?
WES2006AG
AG
Azariah said:

Why are they so expensive? Good enough, discontinued, and the Series X/S is too expensive?
Not sure, I figured that there would be a flood of people getting rid of their old consoles at low prices as the new ones start becoming more common but that doesn't seem to have happened.
The Fife
It'll probably happen before too long, the problem is the new systems aren't common enough yet. I'm up in the air myself on what to get next, I'm on a launch day Xbox One and if the One X gets discounted enough I'll go that route. Otherwise I'll get a Series X.

It'll be a while before either happen so in the meantime I'll stick with my PS4 Pro.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I always wonder if it's people buying them online thinking they are getting the new console?
WES2006AG
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I always wonder if it's people buying them online thinking they are getting the new console?
Xbox making the naming scheme so similar to the last generation has certainly caught some less informed consumers off guard. On pre-order day the Xbox One X was up a few hundred percent on Amazon because people were clearly confused.
AGGG81
AG
Maroon Elephant, My son has an Xbox One that he no longer uses. It's 365 GB and will include 6 games. $200.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Yeah between the 3070 or the Xbox SX, I actually have 0 choices...go figure.
KDubAg
AG
Im old(er).. I'm trying to figure out the difference between Xbox one and the new Xbox. I have 360 right now and play occasionally, buying a used Xbox one for $200 seems like a good deal. But what does the new ones have that sets them apart?
WES2006AG
AG
KDubAg said:

Im old(er).. I'm trying to figure out the difference between Xbox one and the new Xbox. I have 360 right now and play occasionally, buying a used Xbox one for $200 seems like a good deal. But what does the new ones have that sets them apart?
A lot of it depends on the TV you have. If you have a 4K TV the Series X may be for you. If you have a 1080P TV an older generation may be what you want.

The new consoles are a lot more powerful than the older ones and that means loading times that are greatly reduced. That is a major quality of life upgrade depending on the types of games you play.
jr15aggie
AG
KDubAg said:

In my opinion the Xbox One was a bit lacking... the games were ready to go, but the system just didn't have enough horsepower to really play the games efficiently (same for PS4). As an owner of the Series X I can tell you that these new consoles feel like the hardware has finally caught up.

The new systems really boost old games... a very noticeable difference in most games with improvements to frame rates, HDR, etc. And loading times are fantastic for every game, much improved over previous consoles.

In short, I wouldn't buy an Xbox One... I would upgrade to a Series S or X even if you mostly want to play older Xbox One / 360 games. It's a much better experience all around. For you the Series S would probably be perfect at $299. The only thing to keep in mind is there is no disc drive in the Series S so you'll need to buy all games digitally (which is the way to go IMO).
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
jr15aggie said:

KDubAg said:

In my opinion the Xbox One was a bit lacking... the games were ready to go, but the system just didn't have enough horsepower to really play the games efficiently (same for PS4). As an owner of the Series X I can tell you that these new consoles feel like the hardware has finally caught up.

The new systems really boost old games... a very noticeable difference in most games with improvements to frame rates, HDR, etc. And loading times are fantastic for every game, much improved over previous consoles.

In short, I wouldn't buy an Xbox One... I would upgrade to a Series S or X even if you mostly want to play older Xbox One / 360 games. It's a much better experience all around. For you the Series S would probably be perfect at $299. The only thing to keep in mind is there is no disc drive in the Series S so you'll need to buy all games digitally (which is the way to go IMO).
There is a difference in performance between the One X and the S. I know because I own a Day 1, an S and and X. I would say go with the X if you can. The S is a nice to have but load times are definitely noticeable between the two. Especially if you're playing in co-op.
permabull
AG
Assuming you had equal access to anything you wanted, there is no reason to buy a one x|s at these prices over a series x|s. The only reason the one line is so expensive right now is because of the shortage of other options because of Christmas, the increased demand for video games because more people are staying home, and the shipping and production issues because of the pandemic.

I paid $230 brand new for my one-s almost 4 years ago and it came with 2 games... So $250+ for a used one today is not a good price assuming you had access to the new stuff. That being said, I would expect the price of the one x|s to drop by a lot once the series x|s become readily available in stock. That could take 4-6 months though so if you can't wait that long, you have to pay to play because that is the going rate.

As far as series s vs one x, I think the load times on the series is enough of a game changer to make the make up for the difference in resolution. Games like Yakuza like a dragon run at 1080p30 on the one-x but can run 1440p30 or 900p60 on the series s. So you don't always get even get better resolution/framerate with one-x over the series-s.
94AGBQ
AG
I just managed to buy a series S on the Microsoft store. They have been randomly opening orders all day off and on. I got lucky and my order button spamming finally paid off. Keep an eye on Microsoft's website. That's the only advice I can give.
KDubAg
AG
94AGBQ said:

I just managed to buy a series S on the Microsoft store. They have been randomly opening orders all day off and on. I got lucky and my order button spamming finally paid off. Keep an eye on Microsoft's website. That's the only advice I can give.

When I look at the Microsoft Store, it doesn't show anything about buying from Microsoft Store. Clicking on the show availability link takes me to other big box stores like Best Buy. Am I suppose to be looking for a different page/link?
94AGBQ
AG
Check this link out. I just kept refreshing that page.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/configure/942J774TP9JN?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=%28ir__rmifl26ql9kfqnmpxbtwxdh9ie2xsouvaptobqk600%29%287593%29%281243925%29%28MfQy8kfx.Gk-S3EH088oXlmoqB8tpV2R7g%29%28%29&irclickid=_rmifl26ql9kfqnmpxbtwxdh9ie2xsouvaptobqk600

Sorry for the ridiculously long link
KDubAg
AG
94AGBQ said:

Check this link out. I just kept refreshing that page.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/configure/942J774TP9JN?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=%28ir__rmifl26ql9kfqnmpxbtwxdh9ie2xsouvaptobqk600%29%287593%29%281243925%29%28MfQy8kfx.Gk-S3EH088oXlmoqB8tpV2R7g%29%28%29&irclickid=_rmifl26ql9kfqnmpxbtwxdh9ie2xsouvaptobqk600

Sorry for the ridiculously long link

Thanks! I never came across that link. Is there a link to the x series too?
94AGBQ
AG
Yes. Just check around the Xbox section of the website. That's all I did.
tamuwx
AG
I have an Xbox One X that is in great condition I am going to unload soon.
Pman17
AG
After having the Series X & S for a month, games wise there's not really a reason to hurry and get the new systems unless you're impatient with load times. But wow! Doom Eternal load times are awesome on the Series X and S.

The issues I've found with the new systems is the confusion on smart delivery. My systems always wants to update Gears 5 to Series optimized and I feel like I have no choice on version. Then if I try to run a One game that can be upgraded, it crashes the whole Xbox. Then when the games upgrade to series version, they automatically download on the internal drive rather than the external they sit on. I have external as the default. I then have to move them to the external for cold storage. We haven't hit it yet, but once we start getting into new games for next gen territory and every hardcore gamer has one, Microsoft and Sony are gonna get a lot of scrutiny on storage. Hopefully these proprietary SSDs get cheap soon.
WES2006AG
AG
Pman17 said:

After having the Series X & S for a month, games wise there's not really a reason to hurry and get the new systems unless you're impatient with load times. But wow! Doom Eternal load times are awesome on the Series X and S.

The issues I've found with the new systems is the confusion on smart delivery. My systems always wants to update Gears 5 to Series optimized and I feel like I have no choice on version. Then if I try to run a One game that can be upgraded, it crashes the whole Xbox. Then when the games upgrade to series version, they automatically download on the internal drive rather than the external they sit on. I have external as the default. I then have to move them to the external for cold storage. We haven't hit it yet, but once we start getting into new games for next gen territory and every hardcore gamer has one, Microsoft and Sony are gonna get a lot of scrutiny on storage. Hopefully these proprietary SSDs get cheap soon.
I think the reason your X/S optimized games are downloading on the internal is that they have to be played from the internal to get the next gen features. That is unless you already bought the Seagate official Xbox expansion card.

But the whole 2 different versions of games is way more confusing than it needs to be. Personally I would like to not even have access to a non-optimized version if there is an optimized version available.
tamusc
AG
The proprietary drive for the Xbox is in line with the pricing of commodity drives of the same performance class. Hopefully it'll drop when those do as well, but right now it's not crazy pricing.

Both MS and Sony have also said they don't have plans to allow users to play optimized versions of games from external USB drives due to drive performance issues.
tamusc
AG
WES2006AG said:

Pman17 said:

I think the reason your X/S optimized games are downloading on the internal is that they have to be played from the internal to get the next gen features. That is unless you already bought the Seagate official Xbox expansion card.

But the whole 2 different versions of games is way more confusing than it needs to be. Personally I would like to not even have access to a non-optimized version if there is an optimized version available.

Huh? Pretty sure the only reason Pman had access to the old versions is that he downloaded them on an Xbox One to an external USB drive and then plugged that into the Series X/S. Sounds like Smart Delivery is working as intended and attempting to update them to the Series X/S versions.

It's better than the current implementation on the PS5 where it will happily let you download both versions of a game and just eat up all your storage while not even notifying you that there might be an optimized version to play.
WES2006AG
AG
I downloaded the wrong version of Cold War first because the MS store saw that I preordered and for whatever reason didn't download the right game version. Had to delete that and redownload the right version. Wanted to try my 10 hours free of Madden with EA Play now included in Game Pass Ultimate and couldn't get the X/S version to download (that may be an EA Play issue).

These may just be a few glitches on a new system but I pay quite a bit of attention to this stuff and have still downloaded the wrong version of a game more than once. MS knows I am on a Series X so I think it would be easier to not even let me see then non-optimized version if there is an optimized version available.

Not the end of the world but a minor annoyance.
tamusc
AG
Ouch, that is annoying. It's not supposed to show you the non-optimized version to download if there's an optimized version, at least if Smart Delivery is working as intended.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.