FS: 16" MacBook Pro with AppleCare+. $2K

1,179 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by adamsbq06
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Purchased ~ Jan 2020
Includes AppleCare+.

Intel i7 2.6Ghz 6-Core Processor
AMD Raedeon Pro 5300M 4GB VRAM
16 GB DDR4 RAM
500GB SSD

Machine runs great with absolutely zero issues. No major cosmetic issues.

Same machine and Apple Care brand new would cost $3000 brand new.

Pics available upon request.

andrew@andrew-adams.me
rynning
AG
So are you getting the new $999 M1 MacBook Air which performs better?
OasisMan
AG
3k for a laptop
fig96
AG
OasisMan said:

3k for a laptop
Welcome to working as a professional creative.
adamsbq06
AG
true... and the new M1 chips can't dual boot to windows.. I think there are also parallels compatibility issues as well a number of reasons why intel will be relevant in Apple for a while.

I don't ever install boot camp and hardly run anything anymore I could get by on an M1 there is a lot more to picking a machine then how fast it is.

adamsbq06
AG
No, more than likely the MBP 13", not because its faster I more because of the form factor. the 16" is a tad too big.. my loss someone else's gain..
fig96
AG
I feel like so many tools being web-based and/or cross platform has really reduced the need for folks to dual boot, I've looked into it but haven't had any kind of need to even try it in years. I'm sure there's sporadic cases for specialty software but it's rarely if ever been an issue for me.

I need something more powerful than the recently released machines for my work, but I'm anxiously awaiting the chip they drop into the next gen 15/16" MBP. As I'm assuming that's 8-12 months out at minimum I'm hoping most of the compatibility issues have been figured out by then.
rynning
AG
I didn't realize there were any compatibility issues with Rosetta 2, but I found these links that talk about it:

https://www.techradar.com/news/apples-m1-chipset-could-have-some-major-compatibility-issues
https://isapplesiliconready.com

Looks like it has around 90% compatibility, and a lot of apps are already M1 native.

I'm in a great spot -- I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that's still running great, so I'm going to wait for the M2 and greater adoption like a lot of others before I jump in next year.
adamsbq06
AG
yeah when I got this pre-covid I really wanted a discreet graphics card.

Now that I have a desk with dual 4K monitors I have built a desktop so I do all my graphic heavy processes on that. and the Mac has been relegated to surfing, email and school
adamsbq06
AG
Actually I am keeping my laptop. I found something that won't work and it's a deal breaker.

The new M1 MacBooks are limited to only one external display.
BBQ4Me
AG
The workaround with the M1s seem to be using a dock with DisplayLink. I'm going to try this next week
adamsbq06
AG
so like a targus 4K dock?
BBQ4Me
AG
I think so? I ordered a Dell dock with displaylink.
Look here:
BBQ4Me
AG
Works great with the Dell D6000!
Just have to install the DisplayLink Manager App
adamsbq06
AG
So I sold my 16" MacBook Pro and ordered the new 13". The 20hour battery life was too much to pass up. I primarily use it for School (MBA) so I don't need to be able to render feature length 4K video.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.