Youtube ad blocking

1,334 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by permabull
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been using ad blockers for years, and they've always worked on youtube. Usually, it just starts the video, but at some point today something changed, it started doing the ad time anyways. It doesn't show an ad, just a white screen, but there's a delay in the video starting, the ad timer in the lower left starts winding down, then the Skip Ads button appears after a second or two.

Is anybody else seeing this? Is there another ad blocker that might do better? I use Chrome for Google stuff, Brave for everything else.

I'm using AdBlock, uBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger for the ad blocker and privacy.

FatZilla
AG
Smartyoutube and youtube Vanced are what i use now on my devices. Gets rid of the garbage ads. Might try looking into those or similar depending on the devices you have.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AtlAg05
AG
C@LAg said:

I just use Brave browser, (phone and PC) and never get ads.

Works on YouTube but has just recently stopped working on twitch.
Naveronski
AG
Here's your iOS solution:

https://iosninja.io/ipa-library/download-cercube-4-ipa-ios

It's not "super easy" but it's also not too bad.
Claude!
I broke down and bought YouTube Premium to escape ads.
goodAg80
AG
Claude! said:

I broke down and bought YouTube Premium to escape ads.
You succumbed.

kb2001
AG
Thanks for the feedback, I really only watch on my desktop, so the TV and phone apps don't apply to me. I've tried it on several on Brave and it doesn't seem to happen there, at least it hasn't happened yet.

I really want to avoid using Brave for anything google. I block cookies from google, youtube, facebook, twitter, and a few others in Brave, and use that as my primary browser, for google things I always just use chrome.

Frustrating, I've been avoiding ads for a very long time, and this just began sometime yesterday. Perhaps some other blockers in chrome, or maybe FF will have better luck.

Thanks for the help
FatZilla
AG
Does brave have a private browser + do not track mode? You could try enabling cookies in that mode since they wont go anywhere or track anything.
EMY92
AG
I pulled up a song on YouTube a week ago.

I got the ad before the song played, then I got another freaking ad in the middle of the song.
EMY92
AG
I thought of this thread last night, I decided to go to YouTube and play 1 song while I was doing something else.

The song is about 8 minutes long.

Prior to the song, you get a set of commercials.
About 2:30 into the song, it stops for another set of commercials.
Around the 5 minute mark, it stops again for a set of commercials.
Then, you get a set at the end of the song.

For an 8 minute song, you get almost 10 minutes of commercials. No wonder I do not use YouTube much unless it's something I can't find elsewhere.
hph6203
AG
I assume you picked a song on a channel that's not related to the property rights owner. They get tagged, the owner gets monetization, and they crank it to the max commercial rate to maximize returns on someone breaking their copyright.

As an aside, I pay for premium and have a Pi-Hole set up on my network. YouTube was the only thing I watched that had ads and I'm done with ever watching those outside of live sports.
permabull
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.