Youtube TV

3,509 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxAg82
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For me it's been a great service because it's so easy at home or on the go. Football is the one thing I don't want to miss.

And the good thing is outside of football season I can simply cancel if I want. Don't have to call a cable company and send equipment back... I can come and go as I please.
MSCAg
AG
They priced it out for me. It's be cheaper to get cable TV and internet for what YTTV charges.
MW03
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

Anyone have Youtube TV?
What do you like/dislike about it? Would you recommend Youtube TV?
Wife and I are considering cutting the cord.

Like many others, I moved from PSVue to YTTV. Previously, I was a DirectTV customer. Some of the benefits I count:

(1) No contract. I can add packages, cancel the service for a period, etc. whenever it suits us. With DirectTV, I felt like I had a good deal for a 12 mos period, then I would have to engage in a negotiation threatening to cancel if I didn't want my promo price to end. It was a frustrating time sink.

(2) No equipment rental. If you don't have a smart TV, you will have to buy a device like a Fire Stick, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc., but it's a one time fee. Similarly, no taxes, surcharges, undercoating I used to see on my satellite bill.

(3) No need for a box. You can throw in the back and basically mount a TV anywhere you want. Fitness room, office, wherever. No need to figure out where to stash a box.

(4) Your laptop, phone, tablets, etc all become TVs when you need them to be. That means if you're stuck at work during one of those mid-week, mid-day baseball games or whatever, you can catch it. If the kids want to watch a Disney movie or something, you can pull up whatever you want to watch on your phone. If you're ducking under the stairs with a tornado warning siren blaring, you can still follow the news. Extremely convenient. Additionally, since your DVR is in the cloud, you take it with you everywhere. I've caught up on things I "recorded" while travelling for work since it syncs up.

(5) Speaking of bad weather, it isn't an issue any more. I know it's been said that weather concerns were a thing of the past with satellite TV, but it was still an issue for us before we cut the cord.

As for downsides, you are tied to your internet. If you have a bad connection in your area, you're going to have a bad time. If you have the need to stream a bunch at once (i.e., netflix in one room, YTTV in the other, video games running, zoom call), you're going to need a lot of bandwidth to prevent buffering. Similarly, if you have an outage, you lose TV. Of course, in a pinch if you need to catch something on the news or a game, you can fire up your phone and watch it over mobile data.

People complain about the bundling bad channels with YTTV, but I think that's the deal across the board, so it doesn't really register for me. I also don't think the services have much of a choice with the way production is consolidated.

They have also raised the price several times, but I think that's probably more a product of low pricing initially to generate a user base. Ultimately, I'm still paying less for far more convenience, and I can cut the service at any time without any issue.

All in all, I wouldn't go back. Ask me again in a couple of months when YTTV and Sinclair can't reach a deal and I don't have access to the Fox Sports Regionals during basketball/baseball season.
cav14
MW03 said:

People complain about the bundling bad channels with YTTV, but I think that's the deal across the board, so it doesn't really register for me. I also don't think the services have much of a choice with the way production is consolidated.

They have also raised the price several times, but I think that's probably more a product of low pricing initially to generate a user base. Ultimately, I'm still paying less for far more convenience, and I can cut the service at any time without any issue.

I agree that the only way for the providers to do business with the networks is by bundling a bunch of unwanted channels. However, when Youtube TV first started they had a limited selection of channels that I actually wanted which mainly was live sports. And those limited number of channels produced a cheaper price. If they would not have expanded their channel lineup which caused prices to go up, then I might still be a paying customer for theirs.
AustinAg2K
cav14 said:

MW03 said:

I agree that the only way for the providers to do business with the networks is by bundling a bunch of unwanted channels. However, when Youtube TV first started they had a limited selection of channels that I actually wanted which mainly was live sports. And those limited number of channels produced a cheaper price. If they would not have expanded their channel lineup which caused prices to go up, then I might still be a paying customer for theirs.
I agree. The new channels they've added aren't of any interest to me and it caused the rate to go up. I would have rather seen them offer it as an additional package for those interested.
Iowaggie
AG
JSKolache said:

AustinAg2K said:

YTTV is fine as service. Nothing revolutionary, but it used to be cheap. Recent price increases make it much less attractive. The only reason I haven't dropped it yet is because the wife feels like we have to have some sort of live TV, even though we haven't watched anything live in over a year. I'm considering just cancelling and seeing if she notices.
This. YTTV is the perfect wife streaming service. Yes sling is less than half the cost, but then you have to teach her how to switch over to antenna for local channels and im telling you 95% of the time thats a dealbreaker. Sucks that they keep jacking price up into almost cable territory.

This really is why I left Sling. That and no regional sports networks. We could not pick up Fox Network with our antenna, regardless of what we tried.

If you don't watch locals, nor need any RSN, I would do Sling, depending on DVR needs.

Some of the streaming services do not allow you to skip commercials when using DVR. That drove me crazy and is the reason I stick with YTTV during football season. Will drop later.
scott1481
AG
I've had YTTV for 3 years now and have enjoyed it for the most part. Here are my negatives to using it. First, while the unlimited DVR is nice, what they do on the backend is flip it to VOD and you have to sit through the same commercials over and over again. I find if I record a show and watch it within a day or two, I can fast forward through commercials before it flips to VOD. This isn't true for all programming but for series that can flip to VOD they make that change.

Second, which has been stated before, is the price. When I first started at $35 it was a pretty good deal. I got almost everything I needed. This price hike to $60 is more than I would like to pay without seeing channels that benefit me. Adding unnecessary channels and charging me an arm and leg for it had me considering other options.
Civen
AG
scott1481 said:

Second, which has been stated before, is the price. When I first started at $35 it was a pretty good deal. I got almost everything I needed. This price hike to $60 is more than I would like to pay without seeing channels that benefit me. Adding unnecessary channels and charging me an arm and leg for it had me considering other options.
Same... and this seems pretty universal. I was subscribing every year for football season since it was introduced. But his year, I'm using locast for local channels and back to borrowing cable credentials for espn.
Ranger222
AG
Started YTTV last month because they have NFL Network and Redzone.....love it so far. Just wish they carried the History channel.
powerbelly
AG
Civen said:

scott1481 said:

Same... and this seems pretty universal. I was subscribing every year for football season since it was introduced. But his year, I'm using locast for local channels and back to borrowing cable credentials for espn.
Azariah
AG
Every one of these has a trial subscription. YTTV, Hule, all of them. Do the trial and see which one works for you.
TxAg82
AG
Azariah said:

Every one of these has a trial subscription. YTTV, Hule, all of them. Do the trial and see which one works for you.

This is the correct answer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.