Worth replacing a projector lamp

386 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MrMiyAggie
MrMiyAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a sim2 crystal projector for my theater room that is approximately 8 years old. Is it worth taking down and replacing the lamp or time for an upgrade?
javajaws
AG
8 years...probably not. Is it even full HD or 720p?
Koko Chingo
AG
When working normally are you happy with the picture quality?

I have changed the bulbs in projectors used at work, not for the house. Even with the big long throw projectors a bulb replacement was a whole lot cheaper than a new unit. Also changing the bulb is easy and doesn't take much time or effort.

Let's get to the meat: What new models have you been looking at? What is your budget? What are the most important specs / features you want?
MrMiyAggie
AG
It is full HD.

I'd want quality picture for movies and games. I'm seeing replacement lamps costing $500 for this current projector. I'd be willing to drop $2K if the quality of picture can be improved.

I haven't looked at any newer models. I know nothing about this sort of stuff.
The Fife
I'm pretty sure OP has a 45 or 35, both of which are 1080P and stupid expensive when new. Projectors for sale for about $350ish on eBay, looks like the bulb itself is a lot less. Don't know much about these things besides the crappy ones we have at work.

I got bored and tried looking up what the actual projectors sell for and couldn't find anything, and have no clue what a working equivalent runs. I guess these things either didn't sell well or went extinct some time ago.
MrMiyAggie
AG
Yes 35
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.