New router vs Mesh?

1,195 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kyledr04
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
U-verse fiber 1000 internet and having issues with coverage and random drops. Modem/router sits in middle of the house.

I was planning to get a mesh system (hadn't narrowed down which one yet) but then a buddy told me to just get a better router.

He said he got the Netgear Nighthawk ax5700 that Costco has right now for $50 off so $249 and it fixed all his issues.

https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthawk-ax8-8-stream-ax5700-wi-fi-6-router.product.100495709.html

They also have the ax4300 which is 6 stream & $199 but don't know if it's worth not spending the extra $50 for the 8 stream.

https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthawk-ax6-6-stream-ax4300-wifi-6-router.product.100523245.html

Any input? I just want consistent speed and connection throughout the house but currently Apple TV will buffer or load fuzzy constantly in the study and usually better off disconnecting iPhone from WiFi when in our master bedroom.

Not a giant house either, 2500 sqft 1 story.

Feel free to suggest specific products as well.

Thanks!

Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
DallasTeleAg
RF can be different from location to location. Just because it works for your buddy doesn't mean it will work for you.

I recommend a consumer grade wireless access point(s). You could make a mesh network, but it is always recommended to home run each access point for best throughput. An access point that is meshed to another access point loses half of its throughput.
MrJonMan
AG
So something like wired ubuquity?
DallasTeleAg
Ubiquity is one I know many people use. That's the direction I would go.
MrJonMan
AG
Thanks
fig96
AG
As someone with the same provider/connection, I might get them to replace your router first. I recently went with a Nest Wifi set up to extend the signal to the back of the house, but our connection on the stock router has been blazing fast with great uptime.
Astroag
AG
I have the orbi mesh 3 pack from Costco...zero issues.
Sazerac
AG
I did this one for $200 in May. Has been great

https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthawk-whole-home-mesh-wifi-6-system%2c-3-pack.product.100536361.html
aezmvp
I have the Orbi mesh and its fantastic
MrJonMan
AG
Appreciate the feedback from everyone
fka ftc
DallasTeleAg said:

RF can be different from location to location. Just because it works for your buddy doesn't mean it will work for you.

I recommend a consumer grade wireless access point(s). You could make a mesh network, but it is always recommended to home run each access point for best throughput. An access point that is meshed to another access point loses half of its throughput.
My understanding on mesh vs repeater is that the 50% loss on the backhaul was addressed by a dedicated radio for the backhaul. Is that not correct?

That being said, if you have an option to wire the connection then I have never seen a reason not to do so. I think most of the mesh systems include a port to connect via wire, some with multiple ports to backhaul over wire and also connect 1 or more devices into the node via wired.
kyledr04
AG
I put in a ubiquiti setup at our church and college student center. It's great. In strongly considered it at home but took a shortcut and tried an Orbi system. Its been great and took less effort and cash.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.