Questions for Samsung phone (or android) phone users

1,601 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bb2003
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to replace current S9+ in coming months, and so if anyone can contribute to 1 of the following 3 questions.

1. Any experiences with Samsung's mid-range (or budget) phones, good or bad. These seem to have as good as cameras as what I currently have. I am referring to the Samsung A or M models.

2. Any experiences with Samsung Access, Samsung's upgrade program? Any known experiences, good or bad?

-or-

3. Any android phone you have, and your current review (including length of time owned).
IslandAg76
AG
Google pixel 2XL
WORKS, good camera, no problems and 4 +/- years old
Risky101
S
Pixel 2

It has been a champ. A little beat up and battery life has dropped a bit but no as much as I expected after 3+ years. Longest I've ever kept a phone.
FatZilla
AG
Why recommend a multi year old phone when the 4a is brand new and only $350 direct from google? OP, the pixel series is good but dont buy the old gens. They are EOL soon.
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a

OP, whos your provider? Tmobile just launched their new REVVL 4, 4+ and 5G phones and they are priced very well with the 5G at 400 retail. Im running the REVVL 5G myself and it is fantastic, got it for $233 after tax with their current promotions.
Iowaggie
AG
T Mobile is carrier.
The Fife
Quote:

3. Any android phone you have, and your current review (including length of time owned).

Note 8, owned 3 years I think. Headphone jack, great camera, S-pen, SD card slot, it's got everything I need.

With whatever's next I guess I could do without the pen, but the other three are dealbreakers.
IslandAg76
AG
---Why recommend a multi year old phone ---

I'm not recommending the Pixel 2, just relating my experience.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Can't go wrong with a pixel.
Dogdoc
AG
Iowaggi said:

2. Any experiences with Samsung Access, Samsung's upgrade program? Any known experiences, good or bad?

A few years ago, I traded in my wife's phone through Samsung upgrade. It was in pristine condition and had never lived outside of it's case. Samsung tried to screw me on it. I raised enough cain that they eventually gave me what was promised, but it was a hassle. I won't do it again.
Risky101
S
FatZilla said:

Why recommend a multi year old phone when the 4a is brand new and only $350 direct from google? OP, the pixel series is good but dont buy the old gens. They are EOL soon.
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a

OP, whos your provider? Tmobile just launched their new REVVL 4, 4+ and 5G phones and they are priced very well with the 5G at 400 retail. Im running the REVVL 5G myself and it is fantastic, got it for $233 after tax with their current promotions.

Ya, to be clear I wasn't recommending to get a Pixel 2 now, I was just reviewing it as OP requested.
The Fife
IslandAg76 said:

---Why recommend a multi year old phone ---

I'm not recommending the Pixel 2, just relating my experience.
Same, though I think I'd rather have a Note 9 or S10 than a lot of the newer stuff that's either missing features or might not have as good a camera.
permabull
AG
Dropping to the mid tier Samsung you won't get security updates as often as their flagships, but they are better at updating their a-series phones than many other manufactures who have phones in that price range. I use a Pixel 4a because security updates are very important to me.
Ornithopter
AG
I've got a 4a. If you're looking for a good camera and not any of the other bells and whistles, it's a great phone for the price.
JSKolache
AG
Look at OnePlus models.

Or switch to Fi and get a Pixel
Iowaggie
AG
DubFalls said:

I've got a 4a. If you're looking for a good camera and not any of the other bells and whistles, it's a great phone for the price.

Should I just wait for the 5?

I know that is probably a preference type question, but is the $ savings worth getting the older phone?
boy09
AG
JSKolache said:

Look at OnePlus models.

Woot has OnePlus 7T today for $399.

https://electronics.woot.com/plus/one-plus-7t-your-choice
kyledr04
AG
I just got a Samsung S10e. Been very happy. All the benefits of regular 10 with a flat screen. Still has headphone jack. Much cheaper.
taxpreparer
AG
I have had an S10ed since May and am mostly pleased. The one exception is is s is sometimes gets annoyingly, painfully, slow internet wifi on some networks,
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Lavender Gooms
AG
Both my wife and I had been happy with our Pixel 2 phones....until a couple of weeks ago. Her camera just decided to stop working. Tried all the fixes suggested...nada. Ended up on the Google play store and the camera app review page is filled with the same issue across the Pixel 2 and 3. Looks like she'll be getting a new phone, and not likely to be google. I know it's an older phone, and I'm not super computer savvy, but a number of those reviews appear to indicate this was something on Google's end. Just annoyed more than anything right now with Google.
bb2003
AG
Ive had the motorola G7 power for a year and half now and love it. Battery still lasts 2-3 days without charging and charges quickly. Motorola does push out updates. They updated it to android 10 last week from the 9 it came with. Camera is blah, but it is a great budget phone in my opinion. About to order the newer version for my wife. Camera has been upgraded apparently. New version is just called G power.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.