Paypal Fraudulent Transfer Resolution Assistance

2,800 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://clark.com/about-consumer-action-center/

Looks like you can call the Clark team for advice, too: 404-892-8227
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
That's really strange....I mean, if you log in to your paypal account, can you see the transaction on the recent activities list?

If not, are you sure these emails are coming from PayPal directly? I've had situations where I get fraudulent emails about things, but when I log in to my actual account (always via bookmark or googling for the site), it was clearly a fake email....

if you don't see it, is there any evidence in your balance of missing money? If you do see it, how can PayPal claim not to see a debit that their website shows?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Bregxit
AG
Do you have TFA activated on your Paypal account?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Bregxit
AG
I was just asking because if you did have it on then something was badly compromised.
Post removed:
by user
XXXVII
I stopped using paypal a few months ago because they have become terrible with customer support.

I got scammed by a chinese seller and they sided with the POS seller. I promptly deleted my paypal account after that.
Absolute
AG
Their cs has always sucked.

Years ago, I had a fraud issue with PayPal. They were completely unhelpful. Went through my credit card, since they were not helping. Cc immediately took care of it. PayPal then threatened to remove the money from my linked bank account because "I had broken their terms of service by contacting my cc company directly.". Immediately closed that bank account.

PayPal is not a good company. Yes I still use them because it is convenient, but they are linked to a controlled specific account because I don't trust themm

I would call the cc company directly.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
XXXVII
Absolute said:

Years ago, I had a fraud issue with PayPal. They were completely unhelpful. Went through my credit card, since they were not helping. Cc immediately took care of it. PayPal then threatened to remove the money from my linked bank account because "I had broken their terms of service by contacting my cc company directly.". Immediately closed that bank account.

PayPal is not a good company. Yes I still use them because it is convenient, but they are linked to a controlled specific account because I don't trust themm

They aren't convenient enough to put up with anymore. I've gotten to the point where I have my CC number memorized, so what is the point of paypal anymore?
Absolute
AG
XXXVII said:

Absolute said:

They aren't convenient enough to put up with anymore. I've gotten to the point where I have my CC number memorized, so what is the point of paypal anymore?

You are right. Perceived safety even when I know it isn't. Better to just have an internet specific card with good protections. I should know better.
Post removed:
by user
eric76
AG
Absolute said:

The only way that I would link a bank account to my PayPal account would be if the bank account had minimal money in it.

I talked to a VP at the local bank about doing this a few years ago. He said that they would be happy to set up a separate bank account for me to use to transfer money to PayPal. The idea is that I would only transfer money to that account if I was going to use the money for a transaction immediately.
eric76
AG
Absolute said:

XXXVII said:

Absolute said:

You are right. Perceived safety even when I know it isn't. Better to just have an internet specific card with good protections. I should know better.
There are credit cards that allow you to create a one time credit card number for use at a specific location. If someone steals the number, it can only be used at the place that it was first used. Also, you specify how much to put on the one time credit card number. If someone tries to charge you twice, it won't work.
Post removed:
by user
AgDev01
AG
This has to be frustrating. I had an issue with them several years ago. It took many calls to finally find the right person.
Post removed:
by user
EMY92
AG
There's a reason why the only time I've used PayPal is to make a purchase or send someone on Texags money. Each time, I've used a virtual credit card number, my real number has never graced PayPal and I sure as hell won't link one of my bank accounts to that shifty company.
Eliminatus
AG
I personally have been lucky so far with PayPal but I constantly hear horror stories like the above and thinking of ditching it all together. Been using Venmo more these days anyways. I know Venmo is owned by PayPal, but I do like the interface a lot more and am not hearing the same level of horror about them so far. Will have to do further research I guess into it but it has been my preferred alternative to date. Does anyone know the scoop on Venmo?

Not to derail the OP btw. I get that frustration. Nothing pisses me off as bad and as quickly as getting a run around. Can't ****ing stand it.
Post removed:
by user
saw em off
eric76 said:

Absolute said:

The only way that I would link a bank account to my PayPal account would be if the bank account had minimal money in it.

I talked to a VP at the local bank about doing this a few years ago. He said that they would be happy to set up a separate bank account for me to use to transfer money to PayPal. The idea is that I would only transfer money to that account if I was going to use the money for a transaction immediately.
That's how mine is setup. My bank allows me to setup as many savings accounts as I want. So a while back, I made one called For Paypal Use only and only keep a couple of bucks in it. If PP ever gets hacked or something like this happens, they only have that bank account number with nothing in it..
Slagathor
AG
Sounds infuriating, sorry you're having to deal with this. I had to go through an automated phone system yesterday, and was 30 minutes on hold (insurance bs). What worked for me was just hitting "0" on the keypad a bunch of times during the call until the phone started actually ringing and someone answered. Not sure if that would work with PayPal but it got me through to an actual person.
Post removed:
by user
txyaloo
AG
third coast.. said:

no at the beginning of their automated system there is a line about them not being able to take calls due to covid. every time i get through to the point where i am ready to speak to a representative the system says they can not complete it because there are not enough reps and then it hangs up on me.

Email their CEO explaining the issues you're having. All big companies have an executive escalations team that responds to those emails and generally provides significantly better service.

dan.schulman@paypal.com
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
txyaloo
AG
I assume executive escalations took care of it?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.