Apple Watch Event 2020

3,227 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

September 15th would be the date for new iPhones but with supply chain delays due to COVID, we're getting an Apple Watch event instead.

Rumors
The Apple Watch Series 6 is the expected name for the new watch. The Series 5 never got a processor bump from the 4 so expect a processor bump in the 6. I think the design will stay the same since the Series 4. A blood oxygen sensor is expected. With sleeping being a feature in Watch OS7, the Series 6 could emphasize on that hardware wise. Maybe better power consumption of the new processor to last two days in battery life. Apple is expected to launch a new fitness service to compete with Peloton which could be announced with the watch. This service would include fitness app for the Apple TV with live trainers. Another hardware addition would be support for Wifi 6.

One More Thing...
New low budget iPads are rumored to be announced on the side. The new iPad Air is expected to look like an iPad Pro with Touch ID under the screen and support for Apple Pencil 2. What will separate it from the Pro is the screen without 120Hz refresh rate and camera module.
k20dub
AG
In! Considering an upgrade from the Series 3.
caleblyn
From that announcement, what makes you assume that the phone will not be on the agenda?
YNWA_AG
AG
Everyone has reported no phone announcement at this event
hph6203
AG
caleblyn said:

From that announcement, what makes you assume that the phone will not be on the agenda?
The marketing material is time themed, which would mean the focus would be on the Watch. They're not going to do that for an iPhone event. They're doing the watch event separate so they can go in depth on the new fitness subscription service. It's like when they announced their Apple TV+ service.

I'd expect going forward you're going to see device + service events rather than just device events.
Pman17
AG
Someone found Series 6 and 5 in the YouTube tags of their event page. I'm thinking they will replace the Series 3 price point with the 5 which would be awesome! I love my Series 5! The always on screen is great!

Ooh, I saw Air Pods in the tags. We might get Air Pods 3.
Pman17
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Everyone has reported no phone announcement at this event
iPhone event will be in October. iPhone 12 will release in October. But I think the Pro phones will release in November due to some chip delays. We could see Air Pods Studio (replaces the Beats brand), Air Tags, Apple One subscription bundle, and the first Apple Silicon device, 14" MacBook.
fig96
AG
k20dub said:

I'm definitely upgrading, battery life on my Series 3 is starting to fade and it's getting harder to clear space to install the OS updates.

Also really cool, there's an AR piece built into the event page on the Apple website:

AggieFrog
AG
k20dub said:

I'll be upgrading from my 3, likely at launch. Will probably skip the iPhone update this year as I'm still quite happy with my 11 Pro Max.
Phat32
AG
Damnit, thought it was a phone event.

YouBet
AG
My XR is fine but my right AirPod is blown (less than six months old) and I dropped my Series 5 watch and cracked face.

I might be spending some money soon.
schmendeler
AG
YouBet said:

My XR is fine but my right AirPod is blown (less than six months old) and I dropped my Series 5 watch and cracked face.

Your airpods are likely still under warranty if you bought them new. I just got one replaced that was skitzing out and it was about six months old as well.
YouBet
AG
schmendeler said:

YouBet said:

Your airpods are likely still under warranty if you bought them new. I just got one replaced that was skitzing out and it was about six months old as well.

Hmm, they were a gift though. I guess they can look them up by serial number.
schmendeler
AG
YouBet said:

schmendeler said:

YouBet said:

Hmm, they were a gift though. I guess they can look them up by serial number.
mine were, too.
Pman17
AG
Today is the day
Last minute rumors
-Series 6
-Apple Watch SE (series 5)
-iPad Air (usb-c A14)
-iPad (A12X)
-
schmendeler
AG
what about the tile-like devices there's been rumors about?
AggieFrog
AG
schmendeler said:

what about the tile-like devices there's been rumors about?

Probably alongside the iPhone event next month.
HossAg
AG
How are they gonna make all that a 2 hr event?
AggieFrog
AG
HossAg said:

How are they gonna make all that a 2 hr event?
Not necessarily a full 2 hours - that's the window and max time.
irock2513
AG
pre-orders for accessories have seemingly leaked the iPhone SE Plus
schmendeler
AG
i just want a 12 pro for the camera and hope that it's not huge.
k20dub
AG
New iOS, WatchOS, Apple TV OS, iPadOS tomorrow!
fig96
AG
I've been running the betas, WatchOS isn't noticeably different but iOS14 is great.
schmendeler
AG
my wife is looking at the new apple watch, but we use amazon music, and there hasn't been a watch app for that. anyone hear them say anything about amazon making one? it's weird to me that they have one for car play, but not the watch.
schmendeler
AG
fig96 said:

I've been running the betas, WatchOS isn't noticeably different but iOS14 is great.
what are the more significant new things in ios 14?
fig96
AG
The big thing is widgets, you can add widgets for Weather, News, Maps, Stocks, etc. that take up either 4 app spots or 8 app spots on your screen. Super useful.

Also the ability to pin Messages (so you've got most accessed people or groups right at the top of your Messages app), modal call window (so a call doesn't take over your entire screen when you're doing something else), picture in picture Facetime, also some Guides (travel) and a Translate app I haven't tried yet.
Pman17
AG
schmendeler said:

fig96 said:

what are the more significant new things in ios 14?
The biggest thing for me is App Library. You can hide all of the apps you use a few times a year, but always have them in case you need them.

The second thing is Widgets on the home screen.

I've noticed iOS14 fixed my iPhone. In iOS 13 I couldn't search for an app to save my life. It's fixed in 14 and I've noticed the UI is faster. Using an iPhone X.
Pman17
AG
Ordered a Series 6 Gold Aluminum with the Blue Braided Band for the fiance.
fig96
AG
Series 6 Space Gray Aluminum with Obsidian Mist (light gray) Nike Sport Band on the way.
k20dub
AG
Seriously considering selling my iPad Pro 2nd Gen that I never use and my current Series 3 to get my wife and I a Series 6...

Someone talk me out of it.
WES2006AG
AG
Sounds like you have already talked yourself into it.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

The big thing is widgets, you can add widgets for Weather, News, Maps, Stocks, etc. that take up either 4 app spots or 8 app spots on your screen. Super useful.

Also the ability to pin Messages (so you've got most accessed people or groups right at the top of your Messages app), modal call window (so a call doesn't take over your entire screen when you're doing something else), picture in picture Facetime, also some Guides (travel) and a Translate app I haven't tried yet.
I'll go there...Both Microsoft (RIP) and Android had this feature years ago.

I own an Apple and won't be going back to Android FTR.

And I'm glad they are adding this capability.
fig96
AG
Totally agree that it's long overdue.
Pman17
AG
The always on screen is worth it.
jeffk
AG
Haha. They're bringing in live tiles! (The thing I miss most from leaving an old windows phone to IOS.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.