Nvidia Event 9/1

8,196 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bregxit
k00bz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone excited for the Nvidia event tomorrow? Supposed to announce the next gen RTX 3000 GPUs. I upgraded my computer earlier this year from the ground up except for replacing my video card. I don't game too much on PC these days but the new flight simulator is giving me some motivation to upgrade. Thoughts on pricing and if you plan to upgrade what model are you planning to get?
agdoc2001
AG
Supposedly these are 3 slot cards. I build micro and matx, so probably won't even be able to squeeze them into my existing systems.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
V8Aggie
AG
Have a RTX 2800 Super in the mail atm... hope the new cards suck :P
XXXVII
I heard the new cards will consume 300-400 W. The 3090 will probably cost $1400. Yikes.
V8Aggie
AG
That's insane... What are people needing these for? Ultra settings @ 8K?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Bregxit
AG
XXXVII said:

I heard the new cards will consume 300-400 W. The 3090 will probably cost $1400. Yikes.

Assuming the 3090 is the 3000 series Ti equivalent, that price point is what the 2080 Ti is at right now.
XXXVII
Details are up on NVIDIA's site. Releasing on September 17.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/
AggieKO
AG
So NVIDIA hit that out of the park.

3070- more powerful that the 2080ti - $499

3080- twice as powerful as 2080 - $699

3090- Predecessor to the Titan - $1499

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
XXXVII
I'm probably going to get the 3080
AggieKO
AG
Same. My only question is upgrade my prebuilt with an i7-7700 or just build a whole new i9 rig
XXXVII
Rebuild, but go with Ryzen 9 or wait for AMD's 4000 series desktop cpus.
FatZilla
AG
I plan to rebuild with the new gen ryzens, the new express 4 ssds and one of these cards. Things going to be a beast.
AggieKO
AG
Hmm. Gonna have to look into it. Haven't done a ton of research on the Ryzens
XXXVII
FatZilla said:

I plan to rebuild with the new gen ryzens, the new express 4 ssds and one of these cards. Things going to be a beast.

Do you know when the new ryzen cpus are coming out?

Which SSD are you thinking?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
FatZilla
AG
XXXVII said:

FatZilla said:

Do you know when the new ryzen cpus are coming out?

Which SSD are you thinking?
no idea yet on Zen 3 CPU's. Im hoping later this year. Might just go with the Zen 2 if I have to. Some have been spotted in benchmarks recently though.
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000-cezanne-apu-8-zen-3-cores-3-6-ghz-spotted/

gen 4 nvme's for the ssd. Havn't picked out any yet as i dont plan to build till after black Friday/Christmas time.

tfunk02
AG
AggieKO said:

Same. My only question is upgrade my prebuilt with an i7-7700 or just build a whole new i9 rig
I'm in the same-ish boat. I built one with an i7-8700K and 1080ti. I guess I need to see how much of a bottleneck the 8700k will be to a 3080 before I decide.
AggieChemE09
AG
welp, time to sell the 2080 Super.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
91_Aggie
AG
So, does this mean the new generation of consoles will still have better graphics than PCs?
It is ok, console kiddies... no one can see more than 24 fps anyways.
FatZilla
AG
C@LAg said:

AggieChemE09 said:

welp, time to sell the 2080 Super.
hurry. prices are dropping across the board.

T&P's for anyone who bought a 2080 super anytime recently. I hope you are in your return period still lol

That 3070 is looking mighty fine at $499. Should have zero issues pushing my 1440p 160hz monitor to its full potential.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AggieKO
AG
Why more love for Ryzen? Other than productivity I can't really find a selling point of a Ryzen 9 vs a i9-9900K
At least gaming wise.

Only downfall I can find with the i9 chip is no room for expansion, but seems like a pretty beefy chip that would last a while.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Bregxit
AG
tamusc
AG
AggieKO said:

Why more love for Ryzen? Other than productivity I can't really find a selling point of a Ryzen 9 vs a i9-9900K
At least gaming wise.

Only downfall I can find with the i9 chip is no room for expansion, but seems like a pretty beefy chip that would last a while.

-First, you're better off with a 10700K than a 9900K as the specs are almost identical, but you'll have much better thermals with the 10700k due to the redesigned CPU package (though the 3900X makes more sense at that price point). If your primary focus is gaming, then your still better off with a 10600K or a 3600X and saving money.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/2030-intel-core-i7-10700k/

-Significantly better performance in any task that's not thread limited.

-Better performance in most compute heavy workloads.

-PCIe gen 4 support.

-Better power efficiency

-If the rumors are true, AMD is looking at another ~20% IPC performance boost with the upcoming Zen 3 based Ryzen 4000 series CPU, which would likely take the gaming and single-threaded performance crown as well (as the Zen 2 based 3000-series already narrowed that gap significantly)

-There's also been a lot of love for Ryzen due to AMD's consumer friendly practices the last few years (like extended platform support for AM4) and actually pushing desktop CPU performance forward after Intel has essentially been stagnating since they released their original Skylake-based CPUs (like the 6700k).

-AMD has completely obliterated Intel in the HEDT space with Threadripper.

-If it wasn't for AMD releasing Ryzen, we'd probably still be stuck with extremely overpriced quad core CPUs for desktop users

I'm currently running a 7900X as my CPU alongside a 2080 Ti and will be upgrading to a Ryzen 4000 CPU when they're released in a few months and a 3090.

AggieKO
AG
Thanks for the detailed reply! I don't really know a whole lot about CPUs since my computer now is a prebuilt. Was kind of wanting to build one now in fear that 3080s are going to be hard to come by.

Which brings me to my next question. Is it work spending more for the an "after market" 3080 like the Aorus xtreme or better to go with the founders edition?
tamusc
AG
AggieKO said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! I don't really know a whole lot about CPUs since my computer now is a prebuilt. Was kind of wanting to build one now in fear that 3080s are going to be hard to come by.

Which brings me to my next question. Is it work spending more for the an "after market" 3080 like the Aorus xtreme or better to go with the founders edition?
No problem!

It depends on the model, but there are usually some AIB partner cards (AKA aftermarket, like ones from Aorus/Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, MSI, etc) that are at a similar price point or even cheaper than the Founder's Edition cards from NVIDIA. Based on past history, even the cheaper, decent ones perform on par or even better than the Founder's Edition while being quieter due to better cooler designs. NVIDIA radically changed their cooler design this time around though and we don't how well that will work compared to the more traditional designs that have already been shown off by the AIB partners.

Some of the more expensive models can have a higher performance ceiling, usually due to better cooling and better power delivery that allows that allows the GPU and memory to hit faster speeds for longer periods of time. For most people, the increasingly expensive models typically aren't worth it for the fairly small gains unless you're a competitive overclocker, someone who plans on watercooling that can better take advantage of more power, or someone who wants the absolute best with the cash to spend.

Personally, I'll probably be going with an EVGA FTW3 model and putting a waterblock on it. I had the same for my 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti, both of which I also watercooled and they were great cards. Massive overkill for most, but that watercooling and overclocking/tinkering is part of the fun for me.

Another note on the AMD versus Intel thing. I mentioned that Intel doesn't currently support PCIe gen 4 (though the rumors are their next CPUs will sometime next year), whereas the current Ryzen 3000 CPUs already do (when in a 500 series motherboard) and the Ryzen 4000 series coming out later this Fall definitely will as well. The reason I mention this is that these new NVIDIA GPUs are also PCIe gen 4 and might actually exceed the bandwidth capabilities of PCIe gen 3 connections, especially with some of the direct storage access techniques NVIDIA mentioned in their briefing. That kind of GPU direct storage access is one of the benefits of the newer consoles that some devs (like Epic Games, which makes the Unreal Engine used by many other devs among other things) have been hyping up as well. The PCIe gen 3 limitations haven't been an issue for GPUs prior to this launch.
tamusc
AG
Speaking of AIB partner models, here's a good round up of ones that have been announced.

tfunk02
AG
Is it too early to tell if I will have to upgrade my CPU? How bad of a bottleneck will a slightly overclocked 8700K be to a 3080 or even a 3090 doing 4k?
AggieKO
AG
So I would most likely be better off buying a 3600x and possibly upgrading whenever they release the next chips? While not having to upgrade the motherboard also? Genuinely torn between doing this, just going 3900x, or the 10700k

I do generally run other programs in the background while gaming like iTunes, recording software, or chrome. Not sure if that causes a different choice.
tamusc
AG
tfunk02 said:

Is it too early to tell if I will have to upgrade my CPU? How bad of a bottleneck will a slightly overclocked 8700K be to a 3080 or even a 3090 doing 4k?
You're probably still going to be fine with an 8700K for most games short of something like the new MS Flight Simulator for now, especially at higher resolutions. I do think an 8700K is probably about as old a CPU as I'd run with a GPU that powerful though as of now.
tamusc
AG
AggieKO said:

So I would most likely be better off buying a 3600x and possibly upgrading whenever they release the next chips? While not having to upgrade the motherboard also? Genuinely torn between doing this, just going 3900x, or the 10700k

I do generally run other programs in the background while gaming like iTunes, recording software, or chrome. Not sure if that causes a different choice.
Depends on your timeframe. Rumors are that that AMD will announce the new Zen 3 based Ryzen 4000 series CPUS during the rescheduled Computex at the end of this month, which availability sometime in late October.

If you don't want to or can't wait much longer and you're planning on gaming and some light multitasking, a 3600X and a decent x570 motherboard, isn't a bad option that gives you a solid upgrade path in the near future. The Asus TUF x570 is a solid motherboard option under $200 with power delivery that should be able to handle Ryzen 4000 (it can run a 3950X without breaking a sweat).

If you can drop a new 3000 series NVIDIA GPU in your current system, I'd say it's a no brainer to wait for AMD to at least announce their new CPUs. At minimum, you'll wind up getting the current offerings cheaper, including Intel, should you choose to do so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.