It's 2020, pick my next phone

2,232 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sawemoffshort07
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has the lead right now? Apple or Android? Which manufacturer for Android? Who has the best security and privacy?

I don't do gaming on my phone and I'm not locked into an ecosystem. Mostly I listen to music/podcasts, email, and stream tv/movies. Good hands-free capabilities would be great. Wireless charging is a requirement. The camera on my galaxy s6 works fine for me. The only reason I'm asking is because 32 gigs of storage gets harder to work with every year and the handsfree is really hit and miss.
tfunk02
AG
I moved to Android from Apple about 8 or 9 years ago, and I'm thinking about going back to Apple just for the privacy issues. Apple seems much more pro consumer with their privacy. I haven't really dug into it too much yet, so someone else here should know more.

If you don't care about privacy then it's a toss up to preference imo. I love my OnePlus 7Pro and would consider the 8Pro if I was in the market. If you want to go cheap it's hard denying that the iPhone SE is the champ of the cheap phones.
FatZilla
AG
Whos your carrier? Tmobile just announced its REVVL 5G with good specs for $400 coming out this Friday. Its comparable to phones 2-4x its price in specs and bands it supports. Prolly gonna pick it up this Friday if I can. There are lots out there to pick from to meet your reqs.
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/devices/revvl-4-revvl-5g
Quote:

REVVL 5G
  • Camera: 48MP (main) + 8 MP (Super Wide) + 5MP (Macros) RFC with 16MP FFC
  • Battery: 4500 mAh
  • Color: Nebula Black
  • Screen: 6.53" 19:5:9 FHD+ Display
  • RAM: 6GB
  • ROM: 128GB
  • Bands: 5G n71/n2/n66/n41/n25 LTE 2/4/66/25/26/41/71
  • Security: Face unlock and fingerprint sensor
  • Dimensions: 6.51" X 3" X 0.37"
  • Chipset: Qualcomm SD765
  • Processor: Octa Core (6*1.8 GHz, 1*2.2 GHz, 1*2.4 GHz)

HossAg
AG
Really no reason to not go with Apple at this point. You've got the option of the SE at $400 with the latest processor that will out perform any phone at that price. They've got the best privacy by far, and it'll get even better with iOS 14. The software advantages of android are pretty minimal at this point. iOS 14 even lets you choose default apps for browser and email.
Ulrich
Do current phone batteries last all day under moderate use?
Ulrich
Tmobile is my carrier, I'll look into that one.
Ulrich
What is the difference between that phone and the flagship Apple phone? I have a hard time thinking of myself as an Apple person, but at the end of the day if it's the best phone I'll get over it.
HossAg
AG
11 pro has 3 cameras and the bigger OLED screen. That's the two main differences you'll notice. 11 has the bigger screen in an LCD version with 2 cameras. All of them share the same processor. If you don't care that you're getting the iPhone 8 form factor instead if the newest one, and you aren't a camera buff, then the SE is the best deal easily.

I have the 11 pro and love it, but the 11 would have been just fine. We got insanely good pricing when we switched to ATT.
ABATTBQ11
AG
RAZR
AggieFrog
AG
Ulrich said:

Do current phone batteries last all day under moderate use?

XS Max and 11 Pro Max have fantastic batteries. All day and then some.
Madmarttigan
AG
All I really care about is battery life at the end of the day and my regular iphone 11 has been good for that. Phones have felt the same for 10 years, I'm just tired of dealing with ****ty batteries after using it for 2 years.
HossAg
AG
Yeah honestly my iPhone 7 was still plenty fast, the battery was just worn down. My 11 pro lasts all day with a lot of usage. I don't have to think about making sure it's at 100% before I go somewhere.
jagouar1
AG
Pixel 4a is by the best value right now.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
We don't upgrade our phones often but are waiting for the iPhone 12 which should be out within the next few months. If you don't want to change every few years you may consider waiting as this one looks to have some nice upgrades.
If nothing else it would stink to buy one today and see that same model drop in price in a month or two.
Pman17
AG
The iPhone 12 is coming in October and announcement is rumored for next week on the 10th.

What's new with iPhone 12 (Rumors)
-5G
-4 Models: 12, 12 Max, 12 Pro, & 12 Pro Max
-120Hz Display that can be throttled down to 60Hz to save battery
-No Ear Pods or Power Adapter in box
-LIDAR Sensor in the Pro (Improves AR accuracy)
-Camera can film 4K 240fps for Slow Mo

iPhone Pre-Order tip: Pre-Order on the Apple Store App
AgsWin2011
AG
I've had both android and apple, even simultaneously (work and personal phones at the same time). I always go back to apple. It just works better in my opinion.
txag2k
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

RAZR
RAZR

at $1,499.99, it's a little pricey!
Furlock Bones
AG
Heismenberg said:

I've had both android and apple, even simultaneously (work and personal phones at the same time). I always go back to apple. It just works better in my opinion.
same. i've gone back and forth a couple of times over the years. that's the best way to explain ios. it just works better.
Ulrich
Quote:

LIDAR Sensor in the Pro (Improves AR accuracy)

I know what LIDAR is, but what is AR in the context?
Ulrich
Furlock Bones said:

Heismenberg said:

same. i've gone back and forth a couple of times over the years. that's the best way to explain ios. it just works better.

Is it that the phone literally works better or is it that some people find the interface easier to navigate?

I had an apple work computer for a couple years and that's what really turned me off of Apple products, I couldn't stand it.
HossAg
AG
Augmented reality
FatZilla
AG
Ulrich said:

Furlock Bones said:

Heismenberg said:

Is it that the phone literally works better or is it that some people find the interface easier to navigate?

I had an apple work computer for a couple years and that's what really turned me off of Apple products, I couldn't stand it.

Its that its so locked down without user choice that what it gives you does tend to work. It's basically the Stockholm Syndrome of phone choice. Android will always be better for having customization and freedom on your device.
powerbelly
AG
FatZilla said:

Ulrich said:

Furlock Bones said:

Heismenberg said:

Its that its so locked down without user choice that what it gives you does tend to work. It's basically the Stockholm Syndrome of phone choice. Android will always be better for having customization and freedom on your device.
I always hear this, but what do you want to do that apple doesn't allow? What am I missing out on here?
AggieFrog
AG
powerbelly said:

FatZilla said:

Ulrich said:

Furlock Bones said:

Heismenberg said:

I always hear this, but what do you want to do that apple doesn't allow? What am I missing out on here?
Side load apps and customize the launcher (a.k.a. SpringBoard on iOS). I spent '08-'12 in iOS, then 5 years on Android, and switched back to iOS with the iPhone 7 (and have had each iPhone since then). It's kinda fun to mess with that stuff for a while, but it gets old. The quality of apps on iOS is better and more consistent, IMO. And with the ability to default browser and email apps soon in iOS there isn't much I miss from Android.
FatZilla
AG
powerbelly said:

FatZilla said:

Ulrich said:

Furlock Bones said:

Heismenberg said:

Custom everything pretty much. Multiple app stores. Root access(much easier on android for the most part). I have a custom ROM for the OS, custom launcher, speed tweaks to the ROM and Kernal, custom backup software where i can reload images of my phone if something goes wrong. Apple has pretty much zero of this.
powerbelly
AG
Thanks for the reply. I have android people tell me they like the freedom, but very few have anything approaching the level of customization that you described.
AggieFrog
AG
FatZilla said:

powerbelly said:

FatZilla said:

Ulrich said:

Furlock Bones said:

Heismenberg said:

Custom everything pretty much. Multiple app stores. Root access(much easier on android for the most part). I have a custom ROM for the OS, custom launcher, speed tweaks to the ROM and Kernal, custom backup software where i can reload images of my phone if something goes wrong. Apple has pretty much zero of this.
For your uses - yes, Android is great for that stuff. But the vast, vast majority of us have no interest in much of any of that. As for backup - Apple has that with iCloud (not different versions, but if anything happens, I can restore from within the past 24 hours). Given that Apple's A* series processor is quite a bit ahead of anything on Android, speed tweaks for the latest couple of generations of iPhones simply isn't needed.
Ulrich
I'll never do any of that stuff with my phone, so it sounds like customization isn't a factor for me.

Isn't there some noise about stuff in the app store? If I don't really play games on my phone, is that likely to impact me?
Ulrich
Thanks. I suspect I will be a late/never adopter on that, although if it can use LIDAR to do a sort of survey to check if ground is level that would be cool.
agracer
AG
If you have kids that have or will have phones, go Apple. It's easier to lock down and track them.

That being said, it's been 13-years since the first iPhone and YOU STILL CAN"T CUSTOMIZE YOUR HOME/LOCK SCREEN like you can with Android. Seriously apple, WTF can I not organize my apps on my home screen anyway I want and I'm STILL limited to left to right, top to bottom...so effing stupid.
Pman17
AG
agracer said:

If you have kids that have or will have phones, go Apple. It's easier to lock down and track them.

That being said, it's been 13-years since the first iPhone and YOU STILL CAN"T CUSTOMIZE YOUR HOME/LOCK SCREEN like you can with Android. Seriously apple, WTF can I not organize my apps on my home screen anyway I want and I'm STILL limited to left to right, top to bottom...so effing stupid.
iOS 14 added widgets to go on home screen. Lock screen is for notifications but you can get to widgets by swiping right.
agracer
AG
And I can get widgets on android by just looking at my phone no swiping involved. It's quite honestly ridiculous how locked down things are on iOS where it represents absolutely no kind of security risk in the operating system.
fig96
AG
Just a difference in philosophy that isn't necessarily right or wrong. Apple has chosen to control their platform more tightly and as a result an iPhone will always look like an iPhone, whereas an Android phone can look like pretty much whatever you want.

If that's important to you then there's lots of great Android phones out there, but for many people it's not a big deal.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I have had an Essential Phone for the last 12-18 months. It was an ok experiment to get away from bloat and being locked up by the maker or carrier.

I think it is time for the experiment to be over, from some glitchy stuff with the keyboard and On/Off, no wireless charging, not great cell or wifi antennas, dated hardware that cannot keep up with my home wifi, etc.

I am currently looking at:

Galaxy S10 (prior had the S2 and S6 and liked them)
- Best screen resolution
- Expandable storage
- Tied for best RAM
- Best battery
- Slow updates
- Bloat; however, XDA seems to suggest you can remove via USB (debugging)
Pixel 4
- Highest MP 2nd camera
- Smallest storage
- Smallest battery
OnePlus 7T
- Slightly better Processor
- Highest MP 1st camera
- Tied for best RAM

Any input or guidance is appreciated
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.