I want to upgrade my desktop computer

982 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JTA1029
ForeverAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently at I5-3570 with 8gb RAM and GTX960. COD runs choppy for me at times so I am looking into going big and upgrading my computer.

Would you do I7-10700K or AMD Ryzen 7/9?

Main goal is gaming upgrade with some video editing TBH I have not had any issues so far there.
permabull
AG
HossAg
AG
You can't switch between amd and intel without getting a new motherboard, so you'll have to go intel unless you want to change the mobo.
saltydog13
AG
I'd go AMD, but wait a bit for the new cpu/gpu release in a couple months. In the meantime, I'd upgrade to 32gb of ram at 3600mhz. The current 8gb you have is probably the limiting factor I would think.
TxAg82
AG
I haven't checked what sockets or motherboards 10th gen i7 processors require but I imagine a jump from a 3rd gen is going to require a new one anyway.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
saltydog13
AG
Ah I didn't catch that
Wildmen03
AG
That 960 is pretty old I'd definitely look into upgrading your GPU.

I'm a fan of refurbed units from EVGA, I have a 1060 in my home PC and a 1030 in my SFF gaming machine and they've both been trouble free. the 1060 was under $200 and the 1030 which I've played current-gen games on was $60.
ForeverAg
AG
Wildmen03 said:

I'm a fan of refurbed units from EVGA, I have a 1060 in my home PC and a 1030 in my SFF gaming machine and they've both been trouble free. the 1060 was under $200 and the 1030 which I've played current-gen games on was $60.
Where do you go to find these?
Wildmen03
AG
ForeverAg said:

Wildmen03 said:

Where do you go to find these?
https://www.evga.com/midweekmadness/

They sell refurbs all the time, but on Wednesday they take their stock and put them on sale. Unfortunately most of the cards go right at midnight by people looking to resell or bots just buying everything. But cards that are a bit older or less powerful tend to stay in stock a bit longer.
permabull
AG
ForeverAg
AG
hypeiv said:

In your OP you mentioned wanting to go all out but if you want to just upgrade, I would get a GTX 1650 super and some DDR3 if I were you. That would breathe a lot of life back into your current rig.
I went ahead and ordered a 10700K and a Z490 Tomahawk Motherboard so I am going to upgrade everything. I am still debating on video card though.

My thoughts were I have not updated this computer in about 7 years so I figured it was time to upgrade vs update.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
You definitely need to add more memory to that rig. And perhaps a good M.2 SSD if you don't already have that.
JTA1029
AG
New gtx lineup expected in september. Probably be a lot of second hand 2xxx to be had afterwards. Even if money isnt an issue, it's an awkward time to be paying big $ for high performance graphics cards with Ampere so close around the corner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.