Comet NEOWISE

3,636 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by labmansid
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody had any luck catching Comet NEOWISE in the northeastern pre-dawn sky yet. I think next week it'll switch to showing up after sunset.
labmansid
I've been ready to try here in B/CS the past couple of mornings, but clouds were built up by the time it would be in view. Maybe this weekend, the forecast is much better.

https://www.cleardarksky.com/c/collegestationTXkey.html?1

wbt5845
AG
Got up for an early run this morning out where it would be dark - and had cloud cover.
Mucho austin
AG
I'm going to be trying tonight after sunset (houston)
labmansid
I've been trying the past four mornings, but clouds built up every time. I might try this evening and tomorrow morning both. Seems kind of weird to be looking for this in both evenings and mornings.
bobinator
AG
Tried to look yesterday evening but I think there were clouds on the horizon. Supposed to get easier to see in the evenings moving forward right?
dave99ag
AG
Headed to our place near Alpine next week. Hoping the comet is still around for a clear viewing.
wangus12
AG
It was dim this morning, but I was able to see it with binocs. Should be better evening viewing starting this week
The Fife
Are you able to see a tail or anything unaided?
labmansid
This comet is proving rather troublesome for those of us in the southern states. It stays so low to the horizon that it gets easily overtaken by clouds, haze, and light pollution. In some more northern latitudes, it actually stays visible all night now. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks it won't dim too much as it gets closer to Earth and rises some in the sky for us.

I went out yesterday evening to see if I could catch anything of it. Didn't have any luck yet on that front. So I thought I would try one more time for a morning sighting today. Par for the course, some clouds started rolling in about the time the comet would be rising. I went ahead and took some photos in the hope of catching something. Turns out I did manage to catch it in between some of the clouds. Not great shots, but I can say I got it at least. The silver lining with the clouds is at least they added an extra element that was kind of interesting.

wessimo
AG
Anybody in Houston managed to spot it yet?
WoMD
So it's more visible at night now? Which direction?
wessimo
AG
It is supposed to be in the NW, three fists below the bottom of the big dipper. Just looked for it in Houston and couldn't find it... maybe too much light pollution.
lockett93
AG
Where in BCS did you spot the comet? Looking for the best place for an evening view.
wangus12
AG
She was looking good tonight in Northeast McKinney. I can see it from my backyard now, although it looks better further north.

Also caught the ISS flying over around 945-10pm as well
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
BMo
I saw it briefly last night through binos but it went down pretty quickly by the time I was able to see it. This is from the morning of July 13 from my driveway in east part of the county.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
labmansid
lockett93 said:

Where in BCS did you spot the comet? Looking for the best place for an evening view.
This was in the morning, so circumstances have changed a bit for orientation since it is now an evening object in a somewhat different direction. I was a few miles W/NW of Navasota when I got some pics of it, trying for darker skies to the NE where the comet was at the time. Now it is appearing in the NW in the evening hours, so the shift is trying to avoid light pollution from that direction. I am currently looking at an area on the other side of Hearne which has somewhat darker skies without having to drive a couple of hours or more. As the comet gets higher in the sky during the next week or two, I'm hoping it will be easier to see.
labmansid
I went out last night hoping the cloud gods blessed me with clear skies. There were some clouds leftover from some showers to the east around sunset that threatened, but eventually stayed towards the south. It was nice not having to be too concerned with having the comet so close to the horizon for a change.

For these last two, I used a telephoto lens on a camera I don't ever recall using for low light/night photography before. I noticed a weird color band going through the frame vertically which was kind of disappointing, I was able to kind of downplay it in processing. I guess I won't be using this camera for this again.

JSKolache
AG
Nasa site has a chart. Caught it in katy about half hour after sundown, directly below big dipper low on horizon. Binocs required. This position is supposed to hold more or less through the 23rd.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
WoMD
Actually able to see it tonight, finally got a clear night along the coast. Minimal light pollution where I'm at right now, but even so, can only really see the haze of the tail. Wish I had binoculars or a telescope though.

Still pretty damn cool.
Guppy91
AG

Captured from a central Austin patio under Bortles 8 skies. Caught a glint on this image (bottom right); looks like an iridium flare as opposed to a booster, but could not find data for anything around the comet at that moment. Going to Bortles 3 skies this next week... can't wait to get some darker skies. [url=https://www.thingiverse.com/][/url]

dubi
AG
Sadly the BCS light polution was lighting up the sky under the comet.

But I can check this off my bucket list!

Mathguy64
AG
I was able to grab this last night about 11 pm.

TXAG 05
AG
I think it's just not meant to be for me. Still too low in the horizon and too much light pollution from my my house in Houston.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sam here over in Tampa. Plus constant heavy rain clouds every single night.
Jethro95
AG
I finally got a glimpse of it through binoculars last night from Katy. Could not see it with the naked eye.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I live in Southern Oregon so decided to head out to Crater Lake last night and catch a glimpse.

Forgot my tripod though, so no great pics obviously. Taken with a Sony a7r.
These are probably the best ones, which are obviously terrible.

Still really cool to see. Not much light pollution out there.

Can see the comet in the bottom middle of the frame.

Crater lake is obviously incredibly photogenic.

BMo
Last night off my patio in E. Brazos Co.

kb2001
AG
What time are you guys able to see it? We're in Round Rock area, and I took the kids out to a better area to try and see it, but no luck. We did see a shooting star, but no comet
ChemAg15
AG
Perfect night to see it in Houston. Nothing. Can't see it with the naked eye.
TXAG 05
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Perfect night to see it in Houston. Nothing. Can't see it with the naked eye.

Just now saw it, even with binoculars, it was pretty faint. Is it brighter earlier in the night?
ChemAg15
AG
I checked at 9:15 and still couldn't see it. There's just too much light pollution.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.