Home WiFi Questions

1,254 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by emptx
aggie appraiser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The WiFi in my house is kind of spotty. The house is new and has ethernet installed along with coax. I have a small connection cabinet in the utility room that is a jumbled up mess. At least the cables are labled, but I'm not sure how to connect everything. The cable people didn't plug up the ethernet cables but connected the TVs through coax.

We have the tvs, phones, and some computers connected through the wifi (plus coax for tvs), but service is spotty and inconsistent.

I have my work computer connected through ethernet and it is pretty fast. 151 down, 510 up. What would be a better way to get this stuff setup so that I can maximize connectivity?

Do I need a wifi booster? Connect some type of wireless routers in opposite ends of the house, connect the tvs to the ethernet?

I'm not sure what the most effective method to improve my service would be.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
bco2003
AG
Mesh networks are better than wifi boosters.

Four recent related Wifi / Home Networking threads:

Mesh Network

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3119981

Any Netgear Orbi owners?

Amazon eero vs Google Nest
saw em off
aggie appraiser said:

The WiFi in my house is kind of spotty. The house is new and has ethernet installed along with coax. I have a small connection cabinet in the utility room that is a jumbled up mess. At least the cables are labled, but I'm not sure how to connect everything. The cable people didn't plug up the ethernet cables but connected the TVs through coax.

We have the tvs, phones, and some computers connected through the wifi (plus coax for tvs), but service is spotty and inconsistent.

I have my work computer connected through ethernet and it is pretty fast. 151 down, 510 up. What would be a better way to get this stuff setup so that I can maximize connectivity?

Do I need a wifi booster? Connect some type of wireless routers in opposite ends of the house, connect the tvs to the ethernet?

I'm not sure what the most effective method to improve my service would be.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
How the hell are you getting 510 up?
12th Man Ag
AG
I just added the eero pro system and the wifi is full power throuh the whole house now. No dead spots. Ever.
oldag941
AG
I installed the EERO also and have been impressed.
emptx
I've had real good luck with the 1st gen Google wifi mesh router system. You mentioned you had ethernet cables throughout your house, so you could utilize those cables to help speed up the transfer of data between each unit. I bought the 3-pack a couple of years ago during an Amazon Prime Day sale. I've been very pleased.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.