Amazon FireTV Stick

1,771 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by heddleston
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a FireTV Stick that appears to be frozen. When I turn it on, I get the FireTV Stick logo and that's as far as it goes. It was working fine just a couple days ago.

I have unplugged it for a time. I have hit the Select + Play/Pause buttons for 5 seconds or longer to attempt to reset the device. I have hooked it to two different TVs. I have rebooted my modem and router. Yet still it remains frozen.

Any one have a solution to this? I'm open to anything - buy a new one, smash this one under a big hammer, or whatever.
dubi
AG
Did you check for a tiny reset button that you would press with a paper clip?
fka ftc
Email / chat with Amazon customer service and see if they will replace or give a coupon. Then take hammer to old one as you suggest. You already spent more time than a new one costs.

I have had a couple just go out.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Not a super helpful suggestion but buy a Roku. My experience has been far greater with Roku than my Amazon Fire Sticks
Wildmen03
AG
Have you tried a different power adapter and/or cable? I had one go bad and my firestick was real finicky about what powered it.

Also when you boot it up how long do you give it before giving up on it? Have you let it do it's thing for 30-60 minutes just to see?
bco2003
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Have you tried a different power adapter and/or cable? I had one go bad and my firestick was real finicky about what powered it.

Also when you boot it up how long do you give it before giving up on it? Have you let it do it's thing for 30-60 minutes just to see?
+1 on the power adapter issues.
aezmvp
Our sticks generally last about 3 years. Disappointing when the TVs are lasting 3x as long but it happens.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
dubi said:

Did you check for a tiny reset button that you would press with a paper clip?
I looked for such a reset button but did not see one. I'll look again in case I just missed it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
fka ftc said:

Email / chat with Amazon customer service and see if they will replace or give a coupon. Then take hammer to old one as you suggest. You already spent more time than a new one costs.

I have had a couple just go out.
This is what my wife suggested. I'll get in touch with them to see what options they may have for me. The damn thing is less than a year old (bought last summer during the July deal days they typically do).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Not a super helpful suggestion but buy a Roku. My experience has been far greater with Roku than my Amazon Fire Sticks
Was also thinking of doing this. Will I be able to get to all the Amazon Prime library and shows via the Roku?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Wildmen03 said:

I am using the power adapter and cable that came with the device. Don't currently have a spare for that.

It is currently on now, for the last several hours. It's acting like it's done, not gonna come back on.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks everyone!
kb2001
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

FightinTexasAg15 said:

Was also thinking of doing this. Will I be able to get to all the Amazon Prime library and shows via the Roku?
Yes, Roku has Amazon prime and your library will be there. I used FireTV in the past, I thought it was awesome until I got a Roku, and I'll never go back.

schmendeler
AG
they regularly go on sale for $25 if you can wait...
CrottyKid
AG
Didn't read the rest of the thread after the power adapter suggestion. That was my problem. Tried a different block, and it worked.
heddleston
AG
Mine does the weirdest thing, I can't pause anything. It will stop for about 1 second and then keep on playing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.