Search the web toolbar malware

618 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EastSideAg2002
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't get rid of the search the web malware, looked through programs to uninstall to no avail...this is a transparent search box that is on my kids desktop

Searching in the box goes to searchmr whatever that is.

Ran virus and Malwarebytes but nothing was found.

Any suggestions
TMoney2007
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Can't get rid of the search the web malware, looked through programs to uninstall to no avail...this is a transparent search box that is on my kids desktop

Any suggestions

Check in the browser extensions.
Wildmen03
AG
If it's windows 10 you can't solely rely on the Apps portion of the settings menu, not all programs are listed there. Open your control panel and then click Programs and Features and see if it's in there.

Also what browser is it attached to?
Not a Bot
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Any suggestions

This seems to be a browser extension. I assume this is a chrome browser. You will have to go into Google Chrome settings and uninstall it. Just be aware that sometimes they will reinstall themselves if the user has the Sync function in place, so turn off Sync first.
LOYAL AG
AG
I feel like creating this kind of software should be subject to the death penalty.
EastSideAg2002
My wife got one of these last month. I cannot remember the name of the particular hijacker, but I had to use HitmanPro and Malwarebytes togetther. There is also an option to unlock extensions for chrome that I had to enable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.