Mesh Network

2,011 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fka ftc
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my AT&T service rep just left my house. My options were to run a hard wire from the AT&T modem thru the wall of the house outside and toward the front of the house to plug into the other wireless receiver cable box or go buy a 'mesh network' and plug that into my current modem and try to create a more larger area of WiFi in the house. I don't really want to do this.

So everything in the house is AT&T. Home phone, Cable Uverse(because Direct Tv can't get a 'line of sight') and cell phones are all AT&T. I am paying for 1000 mbps. I lose a good bit when I walk from connected modem in bedroom to living room where a tv is located. Streaming at a paid service of 100 mbps was good most of the time, but some test speeds could be as low at 10-20 or as high as 114. I have several devices on my wifi network....don't we all, that is the norm. I don't think the advice of, 'well just don't have that many devices on wifi' is the answer. Everything works off WiFi-doorbell cameras, flood light cameras, iPads, HUE lights, Amazon alexa devices...etc.

I really would not understand changing the modem entirely....wouldn't that negate my Uverse cable and internet?

I am interested in maybe a mesh network. What can you guys tell me about them?
degreedy
AG
https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3114196

Poster was looking for the same thing, ended up getting the Eero Pro and everything works amazingly well.
CAR96
AG
So am I buying 3,4 or 1 device with Eero Pro? Just copying and paste into Amazon search brings up a
Amazon eero Pro mesh WiFi system - 3-Pack

for $499.

Reviews online say there is 3rd Generation that is better?

kyledr04
AG
Been very happy with orbi
Duncan Idaho
Got the google wifi at one house and like it.

Got the samsung mesh at another.

I like the Google wifi much more than the Samsung. BUt the Samsung stations act as smartthings hubs. And it allowed me to get my smartthings devices to make the jump from my house to me detached garage.

So now I run both at that house.
CAR96
AG
Glad you fellas found your solutions....I am still looking for mine.

Thanks and Gig'em.
fooz
I've had Amplifi HD for over a year now. It's been rock solid. You set it and forget it. Very easy setup.

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-wi-fi-system
FatZilla
AG
CAR96 said:

So my AT&T service rep just left my house. My options were to run a hard wire from the AT&T modem thru the wall of the house outside and toward the front of the house to plug into the other wireless receiver cable box or go buy a 'mesh network' and plug that into my current modem and try to create a more larger area of WiFi in the house. I don't really want to do this.

So everything in the house is AT&T. Home phone, Cable Uverse(because Direct Tv can't get a 'line of sight') and cell phones are all AT&T. I am paying for 1000 mbps. I lose a good bit when I walk from connected modem in bedroom to living room where a tv is located. Streaming at a paid service of 100 mbps was good most of the time, but some test speeds could be as low at 10-20 or as high as 114. I have several devices on my wifi network....don't we all, that is the norm. I don't think the advice of, 'well just don't have that many devices on wifi' is the answer. Everything works off WiFi-doorbell cameras, flood light cameras, iPads, HUE lights, Amazon alexa devices...etc.

I really would not understand changing the modem entirely....wouldn't that negate my Uverse cable and internet?

I am interested in maybe a mesh network. What can you guys tell me about them?

Powerline ethernet with built in access point. Much cheaper than a mesh network and works perfectly. You can add one to each room even if you wanted. Gives you wired ethernet and wireless in the output room. You do need a router for this but any basic router works. Hard to tell from your post if you have one along with your modem (different from a router but some are combo modem and router units).

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078PH3QBD
CAR96
AG
This is what I have. Large black box is modem. Is it a router...I don't know. There is a small Wireless Access Point which I think AT&T tells me I need for the cable wireless receiver box.I have to use it all the time every 5-7
Months to get a signal back to the wireless cable box that is 15 paces away from modem. The small white box is from AT&T to boost WiFi signal. It's currently handling about 7-9 devices as well as being plugged directly into tv with Ethernet as of today.
This is not hard I have just gotten behind technology.

FatZilla
AG
Yes that is a combo modem and router. You would plug 1 of the powerline ethernet plugs into a wall socket nearby directly (no power strip or anything) and run ethernet to it from the att router. Then plug the other powerline ethernet box in any room you want and connect to it wirelessly or wired. The tenda one i posted works great. You can buy multiple sets and they will all connect to the same powerline network the first box creates (only need 1 connection to router directly, rest will be used for giving internet access to other rooms)
CAR96
AG
So it has to plug into a wall socket? I don't have an available wall socket left. I have an outlet behind the tv on the wall (eye level), but I don't want cords running down the wall.

Can it just plug into a surge protector?
FatZilla
AG
CAR96 said:

So it has to plug into a wall socket? I don't have an available wall socket left. I have an outlet behind the tv on the wall (eye level), but I don't want cords running down the wall.

Can it just plug into a surge protector?

No it needs a bare socket to function correctly. There are plenty that have a socket built into the front of the unit as well so it doesn't take up a socket.

You could use a combination of both sets to get the effect you need.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JGZ2RJH
Use 1 of these by router and others throughout house to provide wired and or wireless access. If you have a spare router laying around you can make do with just this wired kit and plug tgat old router in and set it to access point mode.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We got a Netgear Orbi last week. Night and day difference on speeds and signal strength.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Google wifi works great
Wildmen03
AG
We have a netgear orbi system, and aside from losing a satellite in a lightning storm it's been working great.
tuaca93
AG
+1 for Google mesh. Just installed this week... Router & 3 access points...(one access point is an additional router) ... wifi speeds of 150-300 mb throughout house... 900 mb if hard wired to router...3600 sq ft single story... long footprint. Easily supports 2 kids gaming & streaming netflix, hulu, etc all while surfing...Gonna be selling asus router, netgear extenders, and luma mesh as a result. :-)
chaca5151
+1 for Orbi system

We now have wifi that covers the whole house plus outside!, hell I've even got a reciever at my pump house 50 yards away so that I'll have internet while working on our property.

It was a wife thing only because we have to use wifi calling to get any kind of reception.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
Quailmeezy
AG
The eero 3 pack is now on limited time sale for $169 including a free echo dot (because Everyone needs another one of those). Been doing a lot of research over the past few days (thanks TexAgs) and decided to pull the trigger on this!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/improve-your-home-wi-fi-with-the-excellent-eero-mesh-3-pack-for-169-plus-free-echo-dot/
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Does a mesh network make more sense than setting up a couple of AP routers, or is that, essentially, the same thing?
FatZilla
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Does a mesh network make more sense than setting up a couple of AP routers, or is that, essentially, the same thing?
Wired AP will always be better than traditional mesh.
Garrelli 5000
AG
This is one of many, many areas that I'm really stupid so feel free to make fun of me.

I built my home w/3 WAPs in the ceiling spread throughout the home. I have not tapped into them and just brought my orbi router/satellite pair from the last house. Currently the router is in 1 corner of home w/satellite in the other (approximately) setup in bridge mode.

My preference is always to plug in if possible and the device isn't moving, but I still need wireless too.

When I'm ready to upgrade from my Orbi as more things in the home take up bandwidth, am I correct that I'm not looking for a "Mesh network" system with 3 transmitters, but 3 WAPs? From a setup standpoint would these just be plug and play? Or would I need to configure at the router point to name their network what is currently being named at the Orbi level? I suspect the latter or something similar since it appears my network is named via the Orbi. I had to disable the wifi on my ATT modem/router because it conflicted w/the Orbi.

Next question - do multi-WAPs allow a device to automatically switch to the strongest signal while walking through the house, or would I need to do what I do now which is disable/enable wifi if I move so that it doesn't stay locked on to the last one it was connected to?

In my network closet I have my ATT modem which feeds a 4 port araknis router which feeds a 24port arkanis switch (yes I used an integrator).

Take the trash out staff.
fka ftc
Going to make an attempt to understand what you have going on. In the new build, are you saying you can Cat5e or Cat6 to 3 places where WAPs would go in the future? Or do you already have WAP hardware / devices there? Did you also run power to these areas or did you plan to do PoE?

Netgear makes a ceiling mounted Orbi that can run on PoE then you can keep your existing Orbi to extend the coverage even more. I only mention this as you have Orbi gear already and this may be more seemless.

Or you could go with other WAP options. Mesh gives you flexibility to expand the coverage withOUT the wire. If you have the wires run, then mesh is not needed unless you do not like the location of the wire.

I am debating a hybrid solution at the moment as I have two wired WAPs but need better coverage. I have Ethernet in most all rooms but not always in an ideal location. So my thought is to replace WAPs with new devices and add a couple more devices using mesh technology.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.