DrDistespect Permaban on Twitch

6,093 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggietaco
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone watch him regularly enough to actually know why?
Wildmen03
AG
I don't watch twitch or really know about the Dr but I have been reading articles saying that they've got evidence that he sexually harassed someone. I heard rape thrown out once or twice but sexual harassment was the theme I've seen so far.

There's also been talk of him using his stream to promote some dangerous ideas and products, it I haven't read too much aBout that.
Artorias
AG
nobody knows anything, including Doc.

all speculation up to this point
saltydog13
AG
All speculation at this point. Would really suck if it's a true perma-ban that isn't warranted.
Wildmen03
AG
I wonder if it's related to this article at all.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/21303185/twitch-sexual-harassment-assault-permanent-bans-streamers
FIDO95
AG
Zip just sent this to me. Scroll to the bottom of the article and watch the last 30 seconds of his last stream. Doesn't look good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/06/27/why-was-dr-disrespect-banned-on-twitch-everything-known-so-far/amp/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
saltydog13
AG
Yeah the last 7 minutes of the stream after checking his phone was just like a balloon deflating
FIDO95
AG
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1276916918994104321?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hopefully he isn't about to have a really unusual and fatal "accident". #drdisrepectdidnthanghimelf
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
saltydog13 said:

Yeah the last 7 minutes of the stream after checking his phone was just like a balloon deflating

Cliff notes? I don't watch any streams at all.
FIDO95
AG
DrD has one of the most popular streamers worth a report $3-4 million. He isn't necessarily the best player but people tune in for the antics. The best description I've heard is that he is the Ron Burgandy if twitch.

No one knows why he is banned but there are rumors ranging from sexual assault allegations to a media ploy to gin up clicks.
nomad2007
AG
I'd be shocked if twitch would give up that gravy train for anything less than him having committed a criminal offense of some sort.
Artorias
AG

Wheatables02
AG
He could still make a ton posting his videos to youtube right? Not 3-4 million a year but maybe 500k? Does Facebook live provide any financial incentives?

I'm not defending him, however I do feel bad for him and the abrupt halt to his life. I hope it works out for him like anyone who made/makes/will make a mistake if that is what happened...
Wildmen03
AG
Now the rumor mill is saying that some other streaming service has poached him as a major player to kick off their service. And this somehow violated his terms with Twitch.

I don't know much about this guy, but at least the drama is interesting.
saltydog13
AG
Yep the rumor is that him, ninja, and shroud are kicking off the new streaming service. Hopefully it's just something like that and not a serious legal matter
nomad2007
AG
He signed a two year exclusivity deal for a **** ton of money that runs out March 2022. Only a huge industry player could pull him from that, considering the legal resources it will take to fight Amazon on the contract.
Cromagnum
AG
Cromagnum
AG
saltydog13 said:

Yep the rumor is that him, ninja, and shroud are kicking off the new streaming service. Hopefully it's just something like that and not a serious legal matter

LOL. The 3 biggest dbags of the bunch unite!
saltydog13
AG
Solid contribution to the thread
erudite

Bloody hell he looks like he just watched his IRL family get massacred or something while playing roblox.
fooz
saltydog13 said:

Hearing about a new spotify streaming service they've teamed up with. Rumor, obviously.
deskdrawer
Still nothing has been disclosed but this conspiracy theory makes sense:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/rumor-keemstar-dr-disrespect-twitch-ban?ref=esportspage

Quote:

In late 2019, Dr DisRespect claimed he was one of the first streamers whom Mixer tried to poach from Twitch. This resulted in Dr DisRespect signing a multiyear deal with Twitch in March 2020. The deal would keep him from leaving the platform, and in exchange, Twitch would pay him. Although the exact amount Doc would receive is unknown, many people speculate that the deal would give him upwards of $10 million.
Quote:

The Doc's ban came just days after Mixer announced it would shut down. Twitch would no longer have to fear losing Doc, so they could now ban him without repercussions. Of course, Dr DisRespect could still find other platforms to stream on, but Twitch would now have the leverage to force Doc to renegotiate a deal.
nomad2007
AG
deskdrawer said:

Still nothing has been disclosed but this conspiracy theory makes sense:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/rumor-keemstar-dr-disrespect-twitch-ban?ref=esportspage

Quote:

In late 2019, Dr DisRespect claimed he was one of the first streamers whom Mixer tried to poach from Twitch. This resulted in Dr DisRespect signing a multiyear deal with Twitch in March 2020. The deal would keep him from leaving the platform, and in exchange, Twitch would pay him. Although the exact amount Doc would receive is unknown, many people speculate that the deal would give him upwards of $10 million.
Quote:

The Doc's ban came just days after Mixer announced it would shut down. Twitch would no longer have to fear losing Doc, so they could now ban him without repercussions. Of course, Dr DisRespect could still find other platforms to stream on, but Twitch would now have the leverage to force Doc to renegotiate a deal.

It makes sense if Twitch wants to get sued. I doubt his lawyers would have had him sign a deal with a clause where twitch could ban him for no reason and he'd just lose all his income.
Artorias
AG
The most logical theory I have seen proposed to date is that Doc was working a deal with another platform (possibly with Shroud and Ninja) for big money, and was working behind the scenes to bring along some other big Twitch streamers with him as part of the deal. Twitch got wind of the deal, banned him for breaking TOS, and both sides lawyered up for the ensuing court battle, thus the silence about the issue from all sides.

If it were something like a #metoo issue or something similar, somebody would have leaked it by now.
deskdrawer
mugwurt said:

The most logical theory I have seen proposed to date is that Doc was working a deal with another platform (possibly with Shroud and Ninja) for big money, and was working behind the scenes to bring along some other big Twitch streamers with him as part of the deal. Twitch got wind of the deal, banned him for breaking TOS, and both sides lawyered up for the ensuing court battle, thus the silence about the issue from all sides.

If it were something like a #metoo issue or something similar, somebody would have leaked it by now.

Yeah, that one is interesting as well. It sounds like this is a financial deal because as you stated if it was a #metoo issue then someone would have talked. Also, I had read that some people went through police reports b/c last week people were speculating it was criminal but there weren't any records or anything against him.

So if we rule out a criminal or sexual harassment ban then financial makes the most sense. It now comes down to which direction it goes to the speculative theories.

Good point about both sides being lawyered up since the only public statement was Guy saying he didn't know why Twitch banned him.
erudite
deskdrawer said:

mugwurt said:

Yeah, that one is interesting as well. It sounds like this is a financial deal because as you stated if it was a #metoo issue then someone would have talked. Also, I had read that some people went through police reports b/c last week people were speculating it was criminal but there weren't any records or anything against him.

So if we rule out a criminal or sexual harassment ban then financial makes the most sense. It now comes down to which direction it goes to the speculative theories.

Good point about both sides being lawyered up since the only public statement was Guy saying he didn't know why Twitch banned him.
No, he said "Twitch has not notified me on the specific reason behind their decision."
Very precise wording... I think maybe twitch is trying to re-negotatite also too since mixer is gone and youtube is eeeh?
PatAg
AG
Youtube is an actual competitor to twitch, mixer never was.
NPH-
AG
Quite honestly, I am very surprised Youtube has not been the main medium for streaming live gaming from the very beginning.

Or maybe it has and I haven't been paying attention.
PooDoo
AG
Twitch is soooooo woke I wouldn't be surprised if they banned him over an accusation from someone.

They say Ninja and Shroud turned down double their Mixer deals from Facebook. It wouldn't surprise me if there was something bigger coming down the road.

Doc's hilarious.
Bryan98
AG
Dick Winters said:

Quite honestly, I am very surprised Youtube has not been the main medium for streaming live gaming from the very beginning.

Or maybe it has and I haven't been paying attention.

It hasn't, Twitch is the 500lb gorilla.
TefIon Don
AG
Still no news...this thing has been so weird.

Doc is like Ron Burgundy mixed with White Goodman from Dodgeball. Here is one of my favorite videos of him, only 5 minutes long.

Aggietaco
AG
Did some interviews, but still no news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/07/16/dr-disrespect-is-speaking-again/

NPH-
AG
Any updates on this?
Artorias
AG
Dick Winters said:

Any updates on this?
Haven't seen anything concrete. Latest rumblings I have seen/heard is a combination of a couple things that lead to some higher up at Twitch/Amazon deciding to give him the boot:

1. With Mixer shutting down and Twitch realizing losing Ninja/Shroud didn't really cost Twitch any meaningful money or viewers, giving Doc a multi-million dollar contract just a few months ago was a bad financial move.

2. Twitch/Amazon is in the middle of a SJW house cleaning, banning many streamers for alleged bad behavior.

The combination of giving Doc a big contract and then Mixer (their only real competion) shutting down, along with Doc being a bit of a "wildcard" in some of the non-PC stuff he says/does on stream, made someone at Twitch/Amazon decide they didn't want to deal with him anymore and gave him the boot.
Agmaniacmike12
I think it is certainly possible, but keep in mind that he wasn't just banned from Twitch. He lost numerous partnerships/sponsors at the same time including Discord.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.