Outdoor patio speakers

1,132 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rlb28
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought a new house with a nice covered patio and pool area. Want to get some decent speakers for outside. Don't have a system set up to run wires to inside, pretty much use sound bars at all the tvs inside and the one on the patio. Want it to b luetooth so the kids can just connect their phones. Have heard sonos is good and can be expanded but don't know specifics and the couple searches I have done were not helpful.

Recs?
Azariah
AG
Are you mounting in ceiling? Sonos is very good, but very expensive.
YouBet
AG
I have PolkAudio speakers in ceiling of patio cover. Were there when we moved in. Added Sonos amp and hooked them into network. Works great.

I put them on their own zone.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Following, wonder if you have to have the outdoor Sonos or if the indoor models would work if they are more than covered.
Absolute
AG
When I searched sonos I had trouble figuring out what was outdoor VS indoor. Maybe I was just tired. Know I have heard that is an expandable system, so was thinking it might good opportunity to start building a system. Not enough of an audiophile to really want to get into amps and receivers, sound bars are fine for me at tvs.

I could mount them under the patio cover or have them free standing. Doesn't really matter to me. Mounting is probably best, so they are out of the way. Though power would be an issue. The back yard is beautiful on the surface, but an effing electrical nightmare of extension cords and dumd diyer work. I will work through it eventually and make it better.
saturn
AG
Most of Sonos' stuff is indoor. They do have some outdoor speakers to pair with a Sonos Amp but that would require hard wiring. Your best Sonos option based on the limitations specified is the new Move, the indoor/outdoor wireless speaker that will work on WiFi and Bluetooth.

I have the exact same setup as YouBet and it works great.
bigboykin
AG
Just to offer something at a different price point, I've had these Pyle Audio outdoor BT speakers from Amazon for about 3 years now and I've been perfectly happy. I just wanted something hard-wired that would always be there, so I didn't have to haul or charge a portable solution, and I didn't want to have to cut into the soffit or run a bunch of wires yet. These just have a power cord and a speaker wire to the slave speaker and a couple screws in each mount. About 15 minutes to install.

For around $100, I thought they'd be temporary while I looked into other solutions (perhaps something whole-home like Sonos) but I really like them. Plenty loud, decent sound, and I think I prefer the bluetooth for its versatility, as opposed to having to run everything through the Sonos app.

I keep an old echo dot out there, so I can control hands-free while in the pool, but I can easily tell it to disconnect and connect a phone or tablet to play audio from anything (YouTube probably being the most notable one that I use pretty frequently and you can't play through Sonos without a paid subscription).
rlb28
AG
I searched a lot too. Found this speaker on Amazon. It looks like there are some other options above and below the featured speakers.

I have looked at the "lantern" style. I think you can pair a couple of those and they could hang from a hook.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because my old ION Rock Blocker delivers great sound. I get tired of wheeling it around though and would like a speaker I can mount.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.