New Theater Room / Looking for advice

3,668 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agdoc2001
joerobert_pete06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags,

I am moving into a new house and setting up a new media room. I am looking for advice on what equipment I should look at as far as surround speakers, receiver and TV. Do you have any recommendations and opinions on what looks/sounds great for you? Also the room is wired for a projector and I am not sure if it is better to go with a projector rather than a TV. It is my understanding that maintenance cost (i.e. bulbs) can be fairly expensive for a project.

Thanks in advance!
flown-the-coop
AG
Having lived with a home theater for a few months now, I would recommend looking into a couple of options not always thought of. For actual equipment recommendations, there are a few threads you can search for on receivers and speakers.

I would try and find a place to setup an equipment rack. We have the typical built in cabinet at the front of room and its not made for circulation nor accessing the equipment easily. So much frustration when having to hook in or replace a component or to troubleshoot a connection. Also consider adding in components for gaming like a Nintendo Switch cradle or similar that can be easily accessed as well.

For the visual, whilst big TVs have come down in price, I would still try and have a projector for a dedicated media room. The laser projectors seem to address the issue of washout from light in the room. Short-throw laser projectors address this even better, are small, and have really come down in price.
agdoc2001
AG
Go projector. Nothing better than a 120" screen.

Plan on 2 subwoofers

As to the rest, you are going to need to be more specific as to wants/needs/budget. How big is the room? Are you looking at 5 speakers, 7 speakers, or Atmos setup? In wall speakers or wall mount? Seating against the back wall or off the back wall? How is the light control in the room? Fixed frame or drop down projector screen?

If you really want to know what you're doing, subscribe to the AVRant podcast and start listening. You'll be a home theater pro within a couple months.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
javajaws
AG
The more boom the better. I like Rythmik Audio here in Austin.

Not sure you can have too much subwoofer.
IslandAg76
AG
Second the plan for accessibility and air flow. Had one where cabinet doors opened to the front where the TV was but in the adjacent room, a bedroom, had a door with louvers that opened the coach of the cabinet/rack. Helped cooling air flow and could access the back for all wired connections
fka ftc
One positive about newer components is that they produce much less heat.

So with either a cabinet solution or in wall solution, get some airflow mixed in for good measure.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Whatever setup you choose, get a home automation/remote that covers everything, including lights.

It is nice to walk in the room, grab the remote close to the door and turn it all on with 2 clicks - first to select Entertainment, then the 2nd to select which device to use (appletv, satellite, PS, etc).

Once done all lights come on, projector, receiver, etc. Then when you hit play the lights go out. hit pause they can on 50%. Turn everything off and the lights come on, stay on about 60 seconds then fade out over the next minute, etc.

Those are just examples of what you can do. you don't have to automate the full house and can limit it to media room only.
Take the trash out staff.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Alright, sorry for the late response guys

So i brought in a A/V consultant to spec out the media room and this is what he is recommending:
Projector - Epson Pro Cinema 5050
Screen - 120" Zero Edge Maestro acoustic weaves 16:9 4K w/ zero 1/2" bezel
Speakers - Klipsch pro 160rpc (front), Klipsch pro 160rpw (rear), triple 8 red label sub
Receiver - Denon AVR 2600

The room will include a control4 receiver so that I can control all of the devices including the room lighting for a single remote and all speakers will be in-wall mounted. All of this including HDMI cabling, Araknis networking switch and couple other smaller items including labor, this setup quotes out to be $11.4k.

This consultant also spec'd out my living and is proposing some cheaper Klipsch speakers and the Samsung 75" FRAME tv. I have to say, this tv looks pretty sick with how it looks like a picture, however I might save some $$ by downsizing to a 65".
The Fife
+1 to having a media closet for anything that plugs in! Also the more HDMI ports your receiver has, the better. I ran out and need two more.

A bunch of shelving in the media closet helps too. I keep wanting to watch something that isn't available on Netflix/Hulu/Prime TV and used blu ray has been lower cost than a temporary digital version.
dvldog
AG
One thing to know about control4 or similar systems - if you ever need to make a change, you'll have to go through your A/V contact (and likely be paying every time you want a change). This means if you add/change a device, want to change the order things happen, add a new "scene", etc. As the homeowner, you won't have access to this.

We opted for a Logitech Harmony Pro/Elite setup, which gives us full access to the software to make any changes we would like. It works great for the media room and we ended up adding another for the living room.
DallasTeleAg
Yeah, always make sure you buy something where you have the "keys to the castle". Don't leave yourself locked out of the system.

I don't sell AV but work with guys who do. The only system I have been exposed to is Savant. Definitely not cheap but can do some awesome stuff.
agdoc2001
AG
No reason for Control4 anymore when you can do anything you want with a logitech or cell phone.

I'd look at a silver ticket projection screen to save some money.

Listen to Klipsch before you buy! They have a very distinct, non-neutral sound. They are loud as heck but horn loaded tweeters can sound tinny. Some love them, some hate them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HalifaxAg
AG
I have made all my projector screens in 3 different houses now. Look on ebay for the material, it's fairly cheap, and you can make a simple frame from 1x2's. Stretch the material over the frame, staple it down nice and tight and hang it on a wall, you'll save $500+ easy and can put the funds towards better tech.

I even made a black leather/vinyl frame this time to make it look really fancy.

It sounds hard, but it is very, very easy.
Azariah
AG
Are you not doing in-ceiling speakers? For that kind of money you should be doing the full Atmos setup.
wcb
AG
Have a Samsung Frame. Love it.
javajaws
AG
HalifaxAg said:

I have made all my projector screens in 3 different houses now. Look on ebay for the material, it's fairly cheap, and you can make a simple frame from 1x2's. Stretch the material over the frame, staple it down nice and tight and hang it on a wall, you'll save $500+ easy and can put the funds towards better tech.

I even made a black leather/vinyl frame this time to make it look really fancy.

It sounds hard, but it is very, very easy.
$500?

You can get a Silver Ticket 120" screen for $250 off Amazon, shipping included. At that price and quality I just don't see a reason to DIY unless you're trying to really stretch a budget.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
If you're going 4k, I highly recommend you go with a Dolby Atmos setup for your audio. It makes a huge difference over a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
I'm about to build out a home theater room..

It is a bit on the small side 13 x 20 ... probably doing 2x3 chairs

My A/V guys thinks that the 120" is too big and is recommending the 110"

He also is suggesting:
- Sony ES 295 4k Projector
- Black Diamond Screen
- Toby speakers
- Onkyo Surround sound processor
- Dayton Bass shakers

Any thoughts, suggestions?
agdoc2001
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

I'm about to build out a home theater room..

It is a bit on the small side 13 x 20 ... probably doing 2x3 chairs

My A/V guys thinks that the 120" is too big and is recommending the 110"

He also is suggesting:
- Sony ES 295 4k Projector
- Black Diamond Screen
- Toby speakers
- Onkyo Surround sound processor
- Dayton Bass shakers

Any thoughts, suggestions?
1. My room is a little shorter than that and I have a 120" screen, but only 1 row of 5 seats. I would go with 120", but you need to check the throw distance of your projector. You need to make sure that the projector can display an image that size while in focus. That is determined by the projector's "Throw distance" and the distance from projector to screen. There are a few free throw distance calculators available if you google it.

2. If I were to buy a 4k projector in that price range, I'd pick the JVC NX5 over the Sony. BUT, I wouldn't actually pick a 4k projector at all. There are cheaper projectors (with better black levels) that display at less than 4K but then "Wobble" the pixels to make the image appear 4k. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the 2. I would buy the JVC x790.

3. For screens, you need to decide if you want a fixed frame screen, a retractable screen, and/or acoustically transparent screen. My HT has a TV mounted to the wall with in wall speakers around it so the boys can play video games in there without using up my projectors bulb life. I then have a retractable screen which comes down with the push of a button that covers the TV and speakers. It is acoustically transparent so sound through it.

If you don't need any of that, Black Diamond make excellent screens, but you could easily save money with a Silver Ticket screen and not be able to tell the difference. Get a white screen, not gray or black. Contrast will be infinitely better if you control the light in your room rather than trying to get a light rejecting screen.

4. I had never heard of Toby speakers and had to look them up. As I've never listened to them, take my opinions with a bag of salt. The only way to know for sure is to go listen to them. BUT.....they look like they specialize in car audio. Automotive speakers are garbage and do not belong in a home theater. They also appear to build their sub cabinets out of MDF and then use plate amplifiers from Parts-Express, there is nothing wrong with this and lots of audio guys build their own subs, but I think you could do better.

So, first decide how many speakers you are going to do. You could do 5, 7, 9, or 11. Personally, I think your back row will be up against the wall so I wouldn't do rear surrounds. You should either do 5 (left, center, right, and surrounds in between your front and back row) or 9 (4 atmos speakers in the ceiling).

Next decide if you want in-wall, on-wall, or free standing speakers. Figure that out and I and some of the guys on here can give you some good recs.

5. AV Receiver - The receiver you pick will depend on how many speakers you are going to use. The brand really only matters because each brand uses different room correction software. I prefer Denon/Marantz because I like Audyssey room correction the best. No matter what anyone says there is no difference in audio quality among mainstream AV Receivers other than their room correction software.

6. I don't like bass shakers. The only reason to use them is if you have an open room that cannot be pressurized. If your room has a door, then your sub should be shaking your seat, not a gimmick like the bass shakers. Speaking of which, you don't have sub listed. Ideally you'll have 2. I like SVS, but PSA, Hsu, Rythmik, and even Monoprice make excellent subs as well. SVS has unbeatable customer service which is why they are what I use.

Hope this helps!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
My parents did Elan which now has an app for the remotes. I know any iOS device can become a remote. I assume the same is true for Android. That may be a little much for a single room setup. Theirs covers all the TVs in the house.
V8Aggie
AG
I've been extremely happy with this projector on a silver ticket screen:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/ht3550.html

The 4K videos are amazing, but you definitely need a light controlled room.

Do not pay for some fancy screen. Get a silver ticket like the others have mentioned and don't look back. You won't believe the quality for the price.

Yes - get the harmony remote setup.

Unless you are not good with technology, you shouldn't be relying on an AV guy to set all this up for you.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
great info...thanks

His does include Dolby Atmos, but I'm wondering if those speakers can handle it?

He did include 1 LCR speaker, 4 8" flush, and 2 10" woofers

Maybe change out the speakers?
agdoc2001
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

He did include 1 LCR speaker, 4 8" flush, and 2 10" woofers

Huh. LCR stands for Left Center Right - basically the 3 speakers at the front of the room. So there should definitely be 3 of them.

The 4 8" flush I'm going to assume are the surrounds: 2 side surrounds and 2 rear surrounds. Couple issues there: 1. Rear surrounds only sound good if your back row is not up against the back wall, otherwise anyone in the back row has a speaker chirping directly in their ear. People with lots of money and IDEAL home theater setups place their seating 2/3 of the distance from screen to back wall so for those few, the rear surrounds can add a little bit to the surround experience. Honestly, I've listened to a system with the rear surrounds turned both on and off in a nice theater room and couldn't hear a difference. 2. The 8" I'm assuming is the size of the woofer in the surround speakers which is just silly. No reason to have a woofer that big in your surround speakers as they will not be asked to play anything below 80Hz. You want tweeters with good dispersion.

Atmos speakers are speakers that go in or on your ceiling and should be small. They help with sounds that are supposed to be above you or sounds that move front to back and left to right. I really like mine and think they add much more than rear surrounds, but they are more icing on the cake not an "ohmygosh" you 100% have to have atmos.

For the subwoofers, the size isn't the key thing. Giant subs can sound terrible and vice versa. You want to know how low they can play WITHOUT distortion. 20Hz is the magic number here.
javajaws
AG
10" woofer != subwoofer. Make sure you get 1 or 2 dedicated subs. Despite what my wife tells me, size does matter. Bigger is better! Go DD or DDD...I mean 12" or 15". I guess you might be able to find some dinky 10" that might rattle your windows a little bit but your wife won't be impressed. You want bass that will rattle your bones for a home theater when needed yet still play a tight bass note for music. Expect to spend from $800-2k for quality bass.
javajaws
AG
Also, for your future home theater enjoyment:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts.html
Garrelli 5000
AG
javajaws said:

10" woofer != subwoofer. Make sure you get 1 or 2 dedicated subs. Despite what my wife tells me, size does matter. Bigger is better! Go DD or DDD...I mean 12" or 15". I guess you might be able to find some dinky 10" that might rattle your windows a little bit but your wife won't be impressed. You want bass that will rattle your bones for a home theater when needed yet still play a tight bass note for music. Expect to spend from $800-2k for quality bass.
I agree that shake your bones bass is a must have, but you can spend a heck of a lot less.

I have two from Hsu (only 1 in room now) and they are worth every penny.

http://hsuresearch.com/

I'll get around to ordering a 3rd for the family room and then I'll move the one in the FR to the media room to have two - which will be gluttonous

The two I have are no longer available, but if I recall on their list I selected the 2nd or 3rd from the bottom of the list at the time. Paid about $375 after shipping. Prices have increased a bit but it was almost a decade ago that I last ordered one.

Take the trash out staff.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Hey guys

Thinking about getting a 4K DVD player for this room however I am wondering if I should just put an Xbox one x in here instead? What do you think?
agdoc2001
AG
I just use an xbox
ag0184
If anyone is using a retractable screen for their home setup, what brand and model are you using? I am having a hard time finding the right option for me and would love for some input from actual users.

Appreciate any advice you may have.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Just curious, why are you going with a retractable screen instead of the full screen? I guess maybe if you are installing in a location that is multi-purpose, i can see you wanting to go with that option such as an outdoor patio.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Thanks agdoc, I will go with the xbox one x so that I can play 4k disc, utilize streaming services and do 4k gaming all from the same console.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Regarding networking, the AV guy is trying to pitch me on Araknis setup which includes a 24port unmanaged switch as well a two access wireless points. Right now, i have a 8port netgear swtich hooked up in the low votage box and a couple google nests scattered around the house. I am not seeing any issues with wifi connection, however I am noticing some slower speeds in some of the rooms on LAN connection. I have speed tested to 800+ mbps off the main line however in some of the rooms, i am seeing speed test around 80mbps. Not sure if it is a result of the server I am pinging but that is a big concern from my perspective especially since I am running a home theater PC on the home network.

Do anyone have any advise or suggestion or using Arkansis vs Netgear or how to remediate the slow speeds in some of the rooms?

Thanks in advance!
MGS
joerobert_pete06 said:

Thanks agdoc, I will go with the xbox one x so that I can play 4k disc, utilize streaming services and do 4k gaming all from the same console.
Can you wait three months and get a Series X?
joerobert_pete06
AG
i will probably get a series X as well, but keep it in another room where I would play most of the time. For the media room, I will mainly use the xbox one x to play disc and stream
ag0184
It's a bit of a mix used space, kind of an office / media / game room. I want to be able to let the kids watch tv and play games on a regular tv and then have a screen come down to cover the TV for movies/football.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.