Star Wars: Squadrons

7,410 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Philip J Fry
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgSportsFan89 said:

I got the Quest 2 as well and have been considering getting the virtual desktop and getting squadrons to try it on. I just haven't bitten the bullet yet to buy them. I am concerned it wont run well or look good.

I have a GTX 980 Ti on my PC and have a pretty good wifi router/connection speed. Should I just go for it?
Yeah I think you would have good outcomes with this setup. As long as you have good fast wifi to the quest.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgSportsFan89
AG
KidDoc said:

AgSportsFan89 said:

I got the Quest 2 as well and have been considering getting the virtual desktop and getting squadrons to try it on. I just haven't bitten the bullet yet to buy them. I am concerned it wont run well or look good.

I have a GTX 980 Ti on my PC and have a pretty good wifi router/connection speed. Should I just go for it?
Yeah I think you would have good outcomes with this setup. As long as you have good fast wifi to the quest.
Thanks. I'll do it. Will let you know how it turns out.
AgSportsFan89
AG
Well, it wasn't terrible, but was a bit disappointing. I felt like the virtual desktop was a bit clunky, but once I was actually flying, it was pretty cool.
KidDoc
AG
The easiest way to navigate VD is to hit your left menu button, select games, and launch from there.

I caved in and ordered a Joystick so waiting for that to come in to restart the story and start multiplayer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dark_Knight
AG
I've just started playing. I have mixed feelings about it right now, but I want to put it through it paces before I give a well thought out judgment.

I need to look at the key presets and make some adjustments.

Definitely rusty from my old days playing the X-Wing series games.
Because I'm Batman!

Dark_Knight
AG
I just finished with the story. I have to say overall, compared to the previous games, I'm pretty disappointed.

The story was completely lackluster and not engaging at all. Balance of Power had a better story than this. The dialog was definitely cringe several times. I appreciate the semi-interaction with your squadron, but it felt hollow. I didnt feel that anything said really expounded upon the story or made me care for them. Honestly, most of the characters were annoying. I also found it funny that were going to chit chat right when we should be loading up. Weird.

I dont like most of the mechanics. I've tried to keep an open mind about it all, but to me, a lot of it just doesn't make sense. It feels overall, like a step backward. It feels like they tried to innovate for the sake of it. I dont like all the extras for the ships. I felt for the most part, it was unnecessary. The point is youre supposed to use your wits and dogfighting ability to out maneuver the enemy. A lot of it just felt out of place. Also the warhead count was really disappointing. X-Wings should be carrying 6 proton torps, not 2 or 3. They are multirole fighters.

The targeting mechanics was wonky and frustrating at times.

Also the amount of fire I have to put into a ship to kill it is just stupid. Maybe it was just story mechanic. Came across times where a lot of the Ties were shielded, which made no sense. I should be able to take out a simple Tie in two or three shots, TIE interceptors in 4 - 6 shots, etc.

Also disappointed there is no button to link your cannons. Same with missiles and torps. No button to cut engines to slow throttle to turn faster, no hyperspace button. I think I could honestly go on.

Overall, I'd give it a C or C+. I havent tried multi-player yet. Ill practice first.
Because I'm Batman!

tamusc
AG
You must not be playing it in VR. It's a completely different experience in VR and probably one of the most immersive experiences I've had in VR, especially when playing with a good HOTAS setup.

Agreed that the story isn't the strongest, but the first time you fly in an X-wing in VR....holy *****
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
tamusc said:

You must not be playing it in VR. It's a completely different experience in VR and probably one of the most immersive experiences I've had in VR, especially when playing with a good HOTAS setup.

Agreed that the story isn't the strongest, but the first time you fly in an X-wing in VR....holy *****
Too bad TIE fighter are the way they are since VR is pretty much wasted with that Tiny Cockpit View.
Rebels got a huge advantage in VR being able to track ships not directly in front of you ... as it should be.
tamusc
AG
Haha, true enough. Looking around the inside of the TIE is awesome, but definitely a disadvantage compared to the rebel ships if you don't use the full HUD.
Dark_Knight
AG
No, no VR setup. I dont deny they did some good things and I hear the VR is pretty cool. Still that doesn't alter much the mechanics of what's there. I think the old X-Wing series did things far superior to Squadrons. This is a step in the right direction, so hopefully they'll come out with another game.

I havent played multi-player yet. Im a truck driver right now, so no internet for my laptop and I can't afford a mifi device yet. I somethings used my cell for a Hotspot device, but I only get 2 gigs and I use that to work on coding.
Because I'm Batman!

Dark_Knight
AG
Also, X-Wing Alliance has been continuously getting updated by fans. New models and everything, looks almost or as good as Squadrons. They also added VR support.

To me XWA is a superior game.
Because I'm Batman!

Philip J Fry
AG
Pretty much addicted to fleet battles at this point. Any else still playing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.