Star Wars: Squadrons

7,408 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Philip J Fry
exitone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New Star Wars star fighter game from EA.

• Cross-play support across PC, PS4 and Xbox One
  • $39.99 Price
  • VR Support on PC and PS4
  • Singleplayer and Multiplayer mode
  • Set after Return of the Jedi

I play SW battlefront, but have never spent much time on the star fighter games. On top of that, EA has never really rolled out additional content or updates for the star fighter games in Battlefront after the initial release. I think they realized those are two separate fan bases and this is their attempt to split it out and have a bit of focus on a flying game. I'm not a big gamer beyond SW and Minecraft, so I dont have much to compare this against. But to me, this looks like they took a lot of the assets and flight mechanics from the flying games in Battlefront and used them here. Not necessarily a bad thing because someone like me was able to play it and have fun. Not how the guys with the flight simulators in their house feel about this though: )

exitone
AG
Question I have for the experienced gamers regarding the cross play between PC, PS and Xbox (I'm not too knowledgeable on this, so asking...)

Isn't this a big deal? I know they are trying to go this way in the future, but are there any major releases out there where someone on PC can play someone on XBox?

I know someone playing on PC has an advantage over someone playing on x-box and PS in shooter type games. Is it at that same level for a star fighter type game?
dodger02
AG
Surely it'll be more open world (like Battlefronts) than prescriptive like the arcade star fighter game.
bodaciousbood14
AG
That looks like it could be pretty fun. Especially multi-part campaign type missions that keep you invested.

I always thought games like Battlefront had too little flying involved.

I enjoyed games like Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader so this could be really cool.
Pman17
AG
$35.99 with EA Access
Pman17
AG
exitone said:

Question I have for the experienced gamers regarding the cross play between PC, PS and Xbox (I'm not too knowledgeable on this, so asking...)

Isn't this a big deal? I know they are trying to go this way in the future, but are there any major releases out there where someone on PC can play someone on XBox?

I know someone playing on PC has an advantage over someone playing on x-box and PS in shooter type games. Is it at that same level for a star fighter type game?

A lot of games that do this have the option for you to segregate in settings and allow an Xbox controller on PC. Cross play seems bad but it's beneficial to the longevity of the game. Nobody could be playing this game in 5 years on the Xbox, but someone could be playing on PC.
exitone
AG
Pman17 said:

exitone said:

A lot of games that do this have the option for you to segregate in settings and allow an Xbox controller on PC. Cross play seems bad but it's beneficial to the longevity of the game. Nobody could be playing this game in 5 years on the Xbox, but someone could be playing on PC.
Yes, I get the point on building the size of the community, and that's good. Maybe it will help the game stick around and be maintained longer. I'm curious how many people get frustrated when they come up against someone on the pc and just give up. If you can exclude the platform from match making, that would help I guess.
wangus12
AG
exitone said:

Only major release I know of with crossplay is Call of Duty right now and it works fine. I play on XB1 and my brother plays on PC and we never have had any issues.
MGS
wangus12 said:

exitone said:

Only major release I know of with crossplay is Call of Duty right now and it works fine. I play on XB1 and my brother plays on PC and we never have had any issues.
There's also that obscure FPS called "Fortnite".
bodaciousbood14
AG
wangus12 said:

exitone said:

I tend to lose to PC players pretty regularly but I did a round of 3v3 Gunfight the other night and one of the guys' mouse and keyboard died so the death chat was him cussing looking for batteries.
wangus12
AG
MGS said:

wangus12 said:

exitone said:

Never played it. Didn't know it was crossplay.
Sub4
AG
What is the likelihood this game will have any real substance to it beyond an expanded version of space battles of BF2?

Let's not forget the bar that Rogue Squadron set almost 20 years ago. The Star Wars community is so deprived of games that any game looks good. It has really been disappointing what EA has done with the License since they've had it. The Fallen Order was a great start, but my hopes are not high for this one. Still may get it though because I'm a sucker.

Who knows, Hopefully, EA will surprise
exitone
AG
Sub4 said:

What is the likelihood this game will have any real substance to it beyond an expanded version of space battles of BF2?

Let's not forget the bar that Rogue Squadron set almost 20 years ago. The Star Wars community is so deprived of games that any game looks good. It has really been disappointing what EA has done with the License since they've had it. The Fallen Order was a great start, but my hopes are not high for this one. Still may get it though because I'm a sucker.

Who knows, Hopefully, EA will surprise
I think you hit on one thing... EA has done a really poor job of both marketing and maintaining these games. I think their contract with LF is up next year, so my guess is they threw a lot at this game to get it right. They were probably able to re-use a lot of what had been done for BF2, so they took that and built game modes around what the fan base would want. I never played Rogue Squadron, but always heard how awesome it was. I saw that co-op is one of the game modes on this, so that is interesting. That has been a pretty popular addition to BF2. Putting out a crappy product wouldn't surprise me coming from EA, but my guess is they want to have this be a success for them since they got bit pretty hard from the BF launch and they have a contract renewal coming up.
KidDoc
AG
As an old X-wing and Tie Fighter fan on PC I am interested in this, especially the VR aspect.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Gah, the music and the sounds just oozes nostalgia. No idea if the game will be good, but I'll be in line to buy it.
jr15aggie
AG
KidDoc said:

As an old X-wing and Tie Fighter fan on PC I am interested in this, especially the VR aspect.
Yup. I'm on console so I'm not looking for anything that is over the top sim-like, but I could definitely appreciate something other than an arcade space/flight shooter with Star Wars slapped on it.

Something that falls in between Elite Dangerous and the Space Flight battles in the latest Battlefront.
YouBet
AG
Pretty sure that was Wedge at 1:12 mark.
Pman17
AG
So it's VR game
Pman17
AG
Listened to the explanation. I have high hopes for this!
The guys that built this are fans and it's a small side project that turned into a big one.

The game will be cross-play!
KidDoc
AG
Wow finally watched the trailer that looks amazing.

Pman17 from the trailer linked it says you can play in VR but don't have to. I will.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-squadrons-gameplay-reveal-shows-dogfight/1100-6478719/?ftag=NLS-04-10aaa1d
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieChemist
AG
The devs also said they were inspired by the X-wing miniatures table top game.

I am all in on this one.
IrishAg

Yeah, this looks pretty crazy and is bringing back all kinds of fun x-wing vs tie fighter memories!!!!
wangus12
AG
Look at that. No loot boxes. Everything can be earned in game
BusterAg
AG
I'm a huge fan of the series.

The battlefront mechanics were very similar to the mechanics of X-Wing v Tie Fighter (circa 1990's), with just a few improvements.

I will say that one thing that makes Battlefront starship battles not as fun as other games is that it is very tough to work together as a team. It would take a lot of communication for players to have eachother's back since you get smoked pretty quickly. The exception is if you have a hero ship for other teammates to rally around, you can get your buddies to help you out a bit if you are getting lit up.

My hope is that they will get the teamwork aspect of this game right. It could be difficult to do without changing the flight mechanics quite a bit. But something like having a ship w/high shields and ion cannons that do little to zero damage, but make other ships slower / weaker could be interesting. You can use that in battlefront some, but ion cannons always have a cooldown that makes the strategy difficult without 4 or so teammates.

I don't see how having a PC will be a big advantage in this type of game. The ships have a limited turn radius, so you won't be able to aim any quicker than a good double joystick player. The only thing I could think that might make a difference is if you can us the mouse to look behind you to see your teammates. With a mouse, you could possibly do that much faster than a joystick.
KidDoc
AG
BusterAg said:

I'm a huge fan of the series.

The battlefront mechanics were very similar to the mechanics of X-Wing v Tie Fighter (circa 1990's), with just a few improvements.

I will say that one thing that makes Battlefront starship battles not as fun as other games is that it is very tough to work together as a team. It would take a lot of communication for players to have eachother's back since you get smoked pretty quickly. The exception is if you have a hero ship for other teammates to rally around, you can get your buddies to help you out a bit if you are getting lit up.

My hope is that they will get the teamwork aspect of this game right. It could be difficult to do without changing the flight mechanics quite a bit. But something like having a ship w/high shields and ion cannons that do little to zero damage, but make other ships slower / weaker could be interesting. You can use that in battlefront some, but ion cannons always have a cooldown that makes the strategy difficult without 4 or so teammates.

I don't see how having a PC will be a big advantage in this type of game. The ships have a limited turn radius, so you won't be able to aim any quicker than a good double joystick player. The only thing I could think that might make a difference is if you can us the mouse to look behind you to see your teammates. With a mouse, you could possibly do that much faster than a joystick.
Or you can use the VR headseat and literally turn your head. That could be a significant advantage.
exitone
AG
Other than the flying on BF, I have never played a flight simulation / dogfight game. I think I'm going to give this a shot. My team mates will hate me

It's sounding like before each match, there will be a mission brief. I'm assuming there will be screen prompts for building a flight plan with your team, but I would think voice chat would be a requirement for your squadron during the match. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere though. It's absent from SWBF, but would seem like a necessity here.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I am really looking forward to this game.
My son and I were playing X-wing alliance over network and now we can do it with PS4 & PSVR.
The PSVR mission on Battlefront was gorgeous, but only one mission and single player.
The problem with Battlefront 2 starfighting is there were never enough people to get a game going quickly, sometimes waited 30 minutes to get in to a game. Needed 32 player(?) to start or some other ridiculously high number just to get past waiting room.
Hopefully this fixes my itch to fly x-wings again.
Glad we have a double PS4Pro & PSVR setup.
BusterAg
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

My son and I were playing X-wing alliance over network and now we can do it with PS4 & PSVR.
The PSVR mission on Battlefront was gorgeous, but only one mission and single player.
The problem with Battlefront 2 starfighting is there were never enough people to get a game going quickly, sometimes waited 30 minutes to get in to a game. Needed 32 player(?) to start or some other ridiculously high number just to get past waiting room.
BF2 starfighting now has bots to fill in, matches are usually up in about 3 minutes. I'd say about 50% of the players are bots.

You get more points for killing actual players, which is cool.
HossAg
AG
wangus12 said:

MGS said:

wangus12 said:

exitone said:

Never played it. Didn't know it was crossplay.

Fortnite is the game we have to thank for crossplay being a thing in other games. They started the trend.
YouBet
AG
exitone said:

Other than the flying on BF, I have never played a flight simulation / dogfight game. I think I'm going to give this a shot. My team mates will hate me

It's sounding like before each match, there will be a mission brief. I'm assuming there will be screen prompts for building a flight plan with your team, but I would think voice chat would be a requirement for your squadron during the match. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere though. It's absent from SWBF, but would seem like a necessity here.
Neither have I. We could do it together but are they releasing on ColecoVision?
exitone
AG
YouBet said:

exitone said:

Neither have I. We could do it together but are they releasing on ColecoVision?
I don't know about the rest of the nerds on here, but I'm old enough to get that joke.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
BusterAg said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

BF2 starfighting now has bots to fill in, matches are usually up in about 3 minutes. I'd say about 50% of the players are bots.

You get more points for killing actual players, which is cool.
Thanks for the tip.
Been using this mode as my morning workout on a recumbent bike before work, teaming up with my high scoring son.
Almost like the X-wing vs Tie Fighter / X-wing Alliance days.
BusterAg
AG
Glad to help.

I sneak in a session or two of this every week. I might pick up the pace to get ready for this next game.

I can be pretty nasty with Luke, he can be really, really hard to kill unless the other team purposefully gangs up on you.

Slave I can get super deadly, but you have to level it up way more than I have.

The Falcon sucks, unfortunately.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
BusterAg said:

Glad to help.

I sneak in a session or two of this every week. I might pick up the pace to get ready for this next game.

I can be pretty nasty with Luke, he can be really, really hard to kill unless the other team purposefully gangs up on you.

Slave I can get super deadly, but you have to level it up way more than I have.

The Falcon sucks, unfortunately.
With neither of us having ships over level 11 we are at a disadvantage most of the time.
I need to get better. I am just trying to get some levels & bonuses on my ships and master the controls.
I am an old Joystick guy on PCs, trying to adjust to thumb-busting, but I do have a HOTAS? ready for Squadrons if it will work.
BTW, I think my son hunts "the Luke" down and harasses them so the opposite doesn't happen.
tamusc
AG
Can't wait to play this in VR tomorrow.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.