IPhone SE 2020

4,528 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Pilot
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looked for a thread and didn't see one....

I've preordered. Curious on yalls take.

I'm a middle aged white guy so I don't need the souped up camera stuff. Got a great chip and I like having the home button.
schwabbin
AG
Is this just to get all those people hanging onto their iPhone 6's to finally upgrade?
DartAg1970
AG
It is essentially an iPhone 8 with a faster chip and more camera features.
King moto moto
AG

DartAg1970 said:

It is essentially an iPhone 8 with a faster chip and more camera features.
I bet this will become the standard corporate phone for the next few years.
heddleston
AG
As someone who made the switch from a Pixel XL to a XR, I wish this phone was out a year ago. Don't care about the home button beyond the fingerprint scanner, but man I hate Face ID.
Seven Costanza
AG
I still have the original SE. I would have been willing to pay $1000 for an updated SE of the same size that would be supported for the next few years, but don't really see the appeal of an updated iPhone 8 (other than the price, I suppose. But I wouldn't want to use this if they were literally giving them away). I like a small pocketable iPhone and don't care about any of the additional features that have been added to the new phones over the past few years.
AggieFrog
AG
A smaller iPhone 5 era sized phone is not possible with the A* processors of the last few years. Getting a phone that small again would require a whole new processor (and much higher cost). Given that the SE is using off the shelf parts and older infrastructure to achieve a low price point, I would not expect a smaller phone anytime soon.

My wife hates Face ID for some reason (personally, I've loved it since the X) - so this will be a decent upgrade from her 8.
Macarthur
schwabbin said:

Is this just to get all those people hanging onto their iPhone 6's to finally upgrade?
Yeah, I've got a 6s and I think this thing is targeted directly at folks like me.
AG
My 2016 SE works just fine

If the new thing had a native aux jack Id consider it
The Fife
Bingo. In order to target people using 6s they'll need to add that missing feature back. That would be admitting to at least some degree they were wrong, and based on how a*holish they just were by killing Dark Sky I don't see it happening.
fig96
AG
I'm on an iPhone X and actually super intrigued by this one.

I've got a few months left till I'm out of contract but I'm interested in the slightly smaller size with a high end CPU in an iOS device. It's tough to justify almost double the price for a slightly better camera and an extra bit of battery life.
jeffk
AG
SE owner here. My battery is crap now, and I've got the new phone being delivered today.
Macarthur
Just picked mine up and setting it up now
Not a Bot
AG
I just picked mine up from Best Buy and about to take it out of the wrapper.

This is the first Apple product I've ever purchased.
Macarthur
So far so good. I really liked my 6s so it's almost the same phone except much faster and a better camera. Also forgot that the home button has a diff feel. Will take a little getting used to.
rynning
AG
Right, the latest Home buttons are no longer mechanical. They are static buttons which are force sensitive and use a "taptic engine" to give the "click" feel. This button is less likely to break and probably cheaper for Apple as well.
jeffk
AG
Got mine unboxed and set up. A bit bigger than the SE (obviously) so that will take a bit of getting used to, but it's very snappy and the screen resolution is awesome.
m.stat
AG
Curious as to your thoughts about it. Wife and I are both on old 6s and battery life is starting to go down. The price point is much better than the 11 and I don't need multiple cameras.......
Jackal99
AG
I got mine today. I had a 7 before, but it had been out for a year when I got it. Battery life had gotten bad, the home button stopped working in October (had to use an on-screen home button), and last week, it stopped making or accepting calls. The new SE is the same size, which I liked, and I didn't need the double cameras. I debated between this and the 11, but I decided this was plenty for me. So far, it's great. It's the same size and color as my 7, and even fits in the same case. But the screen is better and it's a lot zippier.
Macarthur
m.stat said:

Curious as to your thoughts about it. Wife and I are both on old 6s and battery life is starting to go down. The price point is much better than the 11 and I don't need multiple cameras.......

Yeah, if you have a 6s, you will like this phone. Almost the same size....better camera....better battery....much better chip. Esp if you are like me and could care less about the ridiculous camera on the new ones.
merlin403
I own an iPhone 6 Plus and am strongly considering this phone. I don't need all the modern "bells and whistles" as I primarily use it for phone calls, text messages, and email.

I'm more interested in the versatility of a 2020 iPad Pro for all other daily functions.
AtlAg05
AG
Looked up the specs and I see it does have a lightning connector. I had heard there was an iPhone coming out this year with micro-usb but haven't really followed if it were true.

I'm also a 6s holder, replaced the battery about 1.5 years ago, so not desperate. That 64GB is also tempting, my current 16GB gets filled up when the kids start taking pictures.
PooDoo
AG
If it was closer to the size of the 5 I would've been all over it... even without the headphone jack.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
merlin403 said:

I own an iPhone 6 Plus and am strongly considering this phone. I don't need all the modern "bells and whistles" as I primarily use it for phone calls, text messages, and email.

I'm more interested in the versatility of a 2020 iPad Pro for all other daily functions.
I have a 6s Plus and the 11" 2018 Pro. It's been a great combo, though my primary justification for the iPad was work (lots of notes and calculations in GoodNotes). It's worked well for me to the point where I might replace my phone with the SE, though I'm kicking around waiting to see the offerings this fall.
hatchback
AG
I think there are rumors for USB-C (like the iPad Pro and the whole MacBook lineup) to replace the Lightning connection on iPhones.
fig96
AG
There have been for a while, wouldn't surprise me to see it in the next major release.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
+1 for thinking the 5 was a better shape and size.

I'll stick with a flip phone and tablet
YouBet
AG
Between this and the XR, there is zero reason to get the 11.
jakester03
AG
I'm on an XR and the wife is on a 7 plus. She needs an upgrade. Should I give her my XR and get an 11? Or keep my XR and get her an SE2? Or keep my XR and get her an XR?
rynning
AG
First, why can't your wife have a better phone than you?

Second, this year's 11 is last year's XR but better and $50 less for the base model. But for $300 more, the advantage of the 11 over the SE is a bigger screen, extra camera, and Face ID (which I personally love). You also get the trade-in value of the 7 Plus to offset the cost.

By the way, I also have the XR and will likely keep it until the 2021 or maybe 2022 model. Still smooth as butter.
jakester03
AG
She's notoriously rough on her phones so she actually asks not to get a brand new phone.
CoolaidWade
AG
Really want one but still have a pretty new iPhone 8. (Had a brand new one sent three months ago via phone insurance). So no reason to upgrade a new 8?
rynning
AG
The 8 is two generations behind the current models but still pretty nice. I'd wait at least until the 5G models show up later this year or maybe wait till next year.
Macarthur
Had mine for two weeks now. It's great. Still getting used to the non-mechanical home button, but other than that, it's a really good phone for the price.

The battery is excellent.
AgEng14
AG
Does anyone know if the newer iphone batteries hold up to colder temperatures? My 6S will go from full charge to flat in a matter of a few hours if it's cold out. I have to bury it in an inside pocket to keep it warm enough to stay charged.

I'm curious about the new SE as well as the other recent models.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.