Edifier vs Audioengine Bluetooth Speakers for pc

3,473 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tamusc
exitone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently, I have a really good set of older Altec Lansing speakers / subwoofer for my pc. They sounds great. The only issue is they are white with wires that require being carefully hidden. I hate the white and don't like to see wires.

I have been looking at bluetooth pc speakers with a wood grain finish to replace my current set, and am interested in the following:

Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-Field Studio Monitors - Powered Speakers 2.0 Setup Wooden Enclosure - 66w RMS - $149
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PATXSI/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+speaker+for+pc+wood&qid=1586359750&sr=8-11

Audioengine A5+ 150W Wireless Powered Bookshelf Speakers, Bluetooth aptX HD 24 Bit DAC, Built-in Analog Amplifier & Remote Control - $569
https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A5-Bookshelf-Resolution-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B079T6BM1Z/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=audioengine+bluetooth+speaker+for+pc+wood&qid=1586360299&sr=8-3

The Edifier looks really nice. But I'm worried its a bit under powered, and wish it had a sub woofer.

The Audio Engine looks nice, but not as much so as the Edifer. I have heard the sound is nice, but still wish it had a sub woofer. And the price is a bit high.

Anyone had experience with either of these? Anyone know where the Edifers might be sold in a physical store where I could listen to these AC (after covid)?

My backup plan is to build a few small wood cabinets for the white speakers to camouflage them. Not really keen on this idea though.
tamusc
AG
I just went with this setup for my computer speakers and have been very happy with it. If you just go with the amp and speakers you'll have a heck of a system with lots of flexibility for $350. The DAC and speaker stands aren't required.

Amp: SMSL DA-8S - solid, clean amp that has plenty of power for most bookshelf speakers, with Bluetooth, RCA, and XLR (balanced) inputs. - bonus that it has a remote

https://apos.audio/products/smsl-da-8s-bluetooth-power-amplifier

DAC: SMSL SU-8 version 2 - phenomenally clean DAC for the price, bonus balanced (XLR) outputs - feeding balanced (XLR) to my headphone amp and the single ended output (RCA) to the speaker amp - the DAC is honestly optional for a PC setup assuming you've got a decent sound card, especially since the speaker amp has a Bluetooth input

https://apos.audio/products/smsl-su-8

Speakers: Jamo S803 - great speakers that work well for near field (like on a computer desk) or in a living room.

Jamo S 803-WL S 803, Walnut https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ69L2D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XPGJEbH79Q6W7

Stands: Soundrise Pro studio monitor stands

https://soundrisepro.com/products/soundrise-pro-studio-monitor-stands?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw7LX0BRBiEiwA__gNw0UcYHb2hxXWFk4AC-rAOI5h_DQ1XKv8diD0tNE7mjC_Z35UK0x4mBoCNdkQAvD_BwE

exitone
AG
Thanks. That looks like a nice setup.

I like the look of the speakers. These seem to be a bit of a step up from the edifers. How is the bass on these? What type of music do you typically listen to?
tamusc
AG
I listen to a pretty wide range of music and those speakers can handle pretty much everything. They definitely have the clarity and imaging for classical and jazz. They have a surprising amount of bass for a bookshelf speaker of that size, but they won't rattle the walls if that's what you're looking for. The front port really helps with the bass extension and gives you more flexibility in positioning the speaker as you don't have to consider distance from the wall behind it.

Another speaker option that's a solid wood case rather than a veneer are the Micca RB42's. Little crisper highs than the Jamo S803's, but they give up a decent amount in the low end. I've listened to them and really liked them, but wanted a bit more oomph, so went with the Jamos. Just another option you might want to consider though, especially if space is a consideration.

Micca RB42 Reference Bookshelf Speaker with 4-Inch Woofer and Silk Tweeter (Dark Walnut, Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JC416LG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3fHJEb4BC7G3W
agdoc2001
AG
I have yet to hear anything negative about audioengines. I hadn't heard of edifiers until your post.

To confuse the issue, I'm going to throw in the SVS Prime Wireless speakers for your consideration. Or you can break the bank and look at the KEF LS50s

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamusc
AG
agdoc2001 said:

I have yet to hear anything negative about audioengines. I hadn't heard of edifiers until your post.

To confuse the issue, I'm going to throw in the SVS Prime Wireless speakers for your consideration. Or you can break the bank and look at the KEF LS50s

Edifier has been around in this particular space for a long time. Generally solid speakers for the price, but limited. Swan is another company that has similar offerings in this space as well.

The LS50's are fantastic speakers, but on top of the speakers themselves being $600+ each, you have to spend another chunk of change on a decent amp to drive them. Actually looked really hard at that particular setup for myself, but just couldn't justify the cost for my particular use case.

Haven't ever listened to the SVS Prime wireless speakers, need to check those out.
agdoc2001
AG
The LS50s come in a wireless version called the LS50W with built in amp. They cost ALL the money though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
exitone
AG
Looks like you guys have given me a lot of options to check out. Thanks.
I listen to a lot of music, so quality is prioritized ahead of cost (to a point for me), so I'm not ruling anything out. I think I just need to wait until the stores open back up and I can listen to a few.
tamusc
AG
agdoc2001 said:

The LS50s come in a wireless version called the LS50W with built in amp. They cost ALL the money though.
Oh yeah, those are NICE and sound phenomenal, though they should be for that price, lol.
tamusc
AG
exitone said:

Looks like you guys have given me a lot of options to check out. Thanks.
I listen to a lot of music, so quality is prioritized ahead of cost (to a point for me), so I'm not ruling anything out. I think I just need to wait until the stores open back up and I can listen to a few.
I don't mind spending money if it's worth it (my headphones and headphone amps are evidence of that, lol), but I don't go crazy if I don't have to.

My speaker/amp/stand setup is at a really nice sweet spot in terms of price and sound quality. It's kind of the entry level for what I'd consider really good. You can definitely get better, but you pay a rapidly increasing amount of money for a rapidly decreasing amount of better.

I included the stands because speaker positioning, especially in a nearfield setup like at a desk, really impacts sound quality. You want the tweeters close to eye level and the speakers to roughly form an equilateral triangle with your head being the third point. You don't need to get expensive stands like what I have, but they are great AND give me back desk space. You can easily just use yoga blocks if you want something cheap and effective though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.