We need to talk about the new Microsoft Edge

1,981 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Al Bula
Shenaniganz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It has a new look, new web driver (supposedly) and promises the same functionality of Chrome.

I've always been a HUGE advocate and user of Chrome but haven't ever liked how much RAM it uses. After using the new Edge for an hour or so, I made the switch on my android phone too. If it can do everything chrome did but use less RAM I may permanently switch.
PincheDriller
AG
Have read that it's not as secure and does a lot of tracking
kb2001
AG
You should check out Brave. It's based on chromium, as is the new Edge, and is focused on privacy protection. Microsoft isn't as bad as Google about data collection, but they certainly don't seem to care about privacy lately.
BQ2001
AG
I'm loving it for my work. We are nuking Chrome installs left and right on our VM pools. We have a lot of internal apps that are still being rewritten for modern browsers and the new Edge has a great IE mode that just works. When we tried to make Edge our default a year ago that function blew. And IE blew for the other sites which is why Chrome was getting out. This is best of both for us.
CDub06
AG
We develop browser based software & supporting Edge is SUCH a pain in some of the ways they've "dummy proofed" things. Like print settings can't be adjusted except for the predefined options that they allow. I just hate how stupid they made it.
YouBet
AG
I love it but I'm concerned about the tracking and privacy issues folks have mentioned. I haven't looked into it though.
tamusc
AG
If you care at all about privacy, Brave is your browser and MS Edge is the worst option.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/03/study-ranks-edges-default-privacy-settings-the-lowest-of-all-major-browsers/?amp=1
fig96
AG
kb2001 said:

You should check out Brave. It's based on chromium, as is the new Edge, and is focused on privacy protection. Microsoft isn't as bad as Google about data collection, but they certainly don't seem to care about privacy lately.
I just tried Brave for the first time this week and super impressed with it so far.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Love brave and as a dev, LOVE the fact that it's built on chromium, so devtools and extensions all work great.
YouBet
AG
Well, Brave is unable to import my Favorites from MS Edge so that kind of ruins that. The automated import function does nothing and manually pointing to them does nothing.

edit: figured it out. Have to manually export from Edge and then point to HTML exported file.
YouBet
AG
Going back to Edge and letting them track me. Brave might be the slowest browser I've ever used. Almost unusable.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

Going back to Edge and letting them track me. Brave might be the slowest browser I've ever used. Almost unusable.
Really? I'm curious what platform, as I've been using it for a few days and it's way faster than Chrome for me (OS X 10.15).
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Really? I'm curious what platform, as I've been using it for a few days and it's way faster than Chrome for me (OS X 10.15).
W10 custom desktop. Pretty high-end. Kind of a bummer because I want to use it. I've tested all of my financial sites, TexAgs, and work and its like AOL slow.
tamusc
AG
YouBet said:

Seriously? It's one of the fastest in both my personal experience and in objective testing. Do you have the same extensions loaded up in both?
YouBet
AG
tamusc said:

YouBet said:

Seriously? It's one of the fastest in both my personal experience and in objective testing. Do you have the same extensions loaded up in both?
Yes, continuing to test. Freaking bizarre. Now my Edge is abnormally slow and Brave is fast.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
tamusc
AG
YouBet said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

W10 custom desktop. Pretty high-end. Kind of a bummer because I want to use it. I've tested all of my financial sites, TexAgs, and work and its like AOL slow.
Just a quick search yield a few reports of extremely slow performance from Brave with some older builds, usually in conjunction with other things on the user's PC, like ZoneAlarm or a borked Windows update. Have you tried testing those sites in private mode? If so and performance is still slow, try uninstalling and reinstalling Brave.

What you're describing is not normal behavior, even with some of the older builds.
tamusc
AG
YouBet said:

tamusc said:

YouBet said:

Yes, continuing to test. Freaking bizarre. Now my Edge is abnormally slow and Brave is fast.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
Based on what I just read through on their forums, try uninstalling Brave and doing a full reboot. Test Edge to confirm it's working, reinstall Brave, test Brave before loading anything extensions or bookmarks from Edge.

Maybe you're just having random internet issues? I've been seeing random slow downs and intermittent disconnects on Spectrum, likely related to the number of people using their internet access right now.
Eliminatus
AG
Finally tried EDGE today.

Really liking it. A lot. More than I thought I would. Think I am going to keep using it for a while and see how it goes. It definitely has potential.
CDub06
AG
I've been on Brave for the last few weeks and I am sold. Still mainly recommending Chrome to my clients, but Brave blows it away.

Also still supporting IE & Edge, which is a chore.
PincheDriller
AG
Brace user thru and thru
Al Bula
AG
Love Brave for the ad blocking on texags for sure. As well as most other sites. Wish there was a way to block js videos like on chron.com without having to turn all js off in the browser.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.