Outdoor WIFI

1,035 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jayelbee
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get some WIFI extended over the backyard. Probably 50' out from the garage. I'm able to get a network cable to the garage wall.

Anyone done something similar? POE preferred. Just curious what you used and how happy you were with the results.
Tailgate88
AG
Ubiquiti Unifi. Will easily cover your backyard.
Caliber
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Ubiquiti Unifi. Will easily cover your backyard.

I'd do this too.

I have one that has been in a non air conditioned storage room on a boat dock down in Port O'Connor for 3 years now with no issues. The cheapy POE switch I had in the room died after a thunderstorm and had to be replaced, but the Access point is still doing great (2 security cameras off that same switch too). There are another 2 Ubiquiti access points in the house there as well that are awesome. All 3 are Unifi UAP-AC-LR.

I also have 2 at home and have been thinking about running one out to the garage. These are Unifi UAP-AC-LITEs

There is a slight learning curve in initial setup, but nothing crazy. Just have to install the Unifi Controller on a computer to set it up (doesn't have to stay running).
Caliber
AG
AgProgrammer
AG
The Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M is a small, outdoor (weatherproof) access point that's PoE. That's what you're looking for. We just installed 6 of them at a camp.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Unifi-1167Mbit-Ethernet/dp/B01NAAWOGO?ref_=ast_bbp_dp
wcb
AG
Question about installation - I'm assuming if I can get it outside the signal will be better. That said, if I mount it on the interior side of an exterior wall in the garage / attic any idea what kind of luck I can expect? Not needing to cover the neighborhood, just 50-75' out.
Sazerac
AG
Which of the ubiquiti models is best for improving whole home WiFi? One units will provide enough coverage?
Really tired of my xfinity. The xifi extension pods they provide are garbage.
pnut02
AG
In short, depends on your house.

I have a UAP-AC-LR and it does a pretty good job of coverage for a 2 story 2700sqft house. My buddy has a nanoHD and covers his 2 story 3k+ sqft house pretty well. And you could also do two of the UAP-AC-Lites.

Or go with a mesh system like Orbi.
Sazerac
AG
For the LR it has to wire into the modem Correct? I can't set it up on the other side of house connected to the existing router? I guess that defeats the purpose?
pnut02
AG
Correct.
I don't know that you can or would want to set up the LR access point as a repeater (repeat the wireless signal). Wired is best and the UAP gets it's power over ethernet (PoE) from a PoE injector that comes with it.

If you're looking to repeat the signal, I would look at Mesh systems instead.
Sazerac
AG
if it gives good enough coverage I'm fine with one. If it doesn't though I can't add another as a repeater say upstairs right?
I haven't had much luck with any of the repeater products.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.