Home air purifier? (cross posted on home improvement board)

1,075 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have one or know of good ones?

Just thinking about better indoor air quality and reducing dust and allergens.
I've done a little looking and before I get my wife to do some deep digging (she's good at that), I wanted to get some ideas on makes and models to direct her toward.

Setting:
~1200 Sq. Ft. apartment; 2 bed; 2 bath; somewhat open floor plan on 36th floor (in Chicago).
Building exhaust/vent fans have registers/intakes in master bath, hall bath, and kitchen; CFM is low.
HVAC (3 units) is water (heating/cooling/neutral) with air intake (return) in apartment with no fresh/outside makeup. (think TAMU corps style dorm ACs but only single piped so heat or cool depends on what the building is sending/making that day.)

Thinking is, like today when it's nice outside and we have windows open, have something to cut down on pollutants etc.
Would prefer something quiet.

I know these aren't a cure-all but anything that will help with my wife's asthma, odors, and cut down on dusting would be nice.
YouBet
AG
We have a Molekule. Like the air purifier side of it. Seems to work well.

The app and wifi side of it is notorious dog sh^t. It has never worked and no amount of help desk can fix it.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
These are about the most popular on the HVAC business side.

IMO about one of the most beneficial products an HVAC guy can install

- Semi tough to get right now due to the Corona Virus wiping out inventory across country in a matter of days.

swagfan
We have these for our larger rooms:
https://www.amazon.com/Purifier-Washable-Pre-Filters-Particle-Allergens/dp/B073WJL99W/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=blueair+211&qid=1586350987&sr=8-3

and these for our bedrooms:
https://www.amazon.com/Purifier-Washable-Pre-Filters-Particle-Allergens/dp/B073WJDQMN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AYU0HHHCEU3X&dchild=1&keywords=blueair&qid=1586350952&sprefix=blueair%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3

Both of the above seemed to have worked well for us. They also look halfway decent so that's a plus. Gifted one to my parents after they complained about the room smelling due to dogs, they said it cleared it up for them. They are noisy on the loudest setting however and require a fair bit of maintenance to keep them running optimally.

We previously had the Air Scubber (basically the same thing as Reme posted above it looks like) installed in both up/down units and it did not seem to make much of a difference for us. Meaning, our house didn't smell any cleaner and we still had bad allergies and normal amount of sickness. Only noting that since they claim a lot about benefits. Our house at the time just had one return at the units, I do wonder if having returns in each room would help more, as it would be pulling in air from each room vs one static spot? Don't mean to discourage you from going this route, just my personal experience.
hatchback
AG
My wife and I got a RabbitAir BioGS 2.0 for Christmas from my parents. It's in the guest bedroom which shares a hallway with our bedroom and the intake vent for our HVAC system. Our rental house is only 930 square feet and this air purifier can handle 550 square feet, so it's not doing the whole house but keeps the air clean in the bedrooms.

It's incredibly quiet and the filters are washable/cleanable - only need to be fully replaced every 18 months.

https://www.rabbitair.com/products/biogs2-air-purifier
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303640263612

Here a Reme Halo LED on Ebay ; 100% of Sale goes towards St. Jude's Research Children's Hospital
www.ecozapphvac.com
- check out our Air Purifiers for 2020 -

hangman
IQair is top of the line and expensive. They are used in hospitals. However, a good air filter is really about having a hepa filter and the volume of air. It's very simple technology. The first thing you can do is buying a better filter for your HVAC unit. The more restrictive it is the more strain it will put on your unit and the more frequently you have to change it but that will get the most volume of air exchanges. Wirecutter rates the coway as their top pick if you want a cheap option. You can buy 2-3 of them and place them around on full blast if you don't want to splurge on an IQair. If you want to DIY there are videos of using a box fan and a hepa filter to achieve almost the same effect.

So remember. HEPA and Volume of air is the real science. Molekule is just good marketing but they got in trouble recently for their false claims so I don't recommend.
AggieBarstool
Came here to post literally all of this.
tfunk02
AG
I bought two Austin Air Petmates about 15 years ago and they are still going great with filter changes every 4 or 5 years. I got them because they have pounds of charcoal to help with the smells. They are pretty loud on high, but I like the white noise at night.

https://austinair.com/

I'm with hangman's post. I put a 4" thick filter right before the AC to help clean the air. That helped a lot since the return air in the house was poorly designed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.