KVM for a Macbook and Windows PC

587 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fooz
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Not familiar with Macs at all.

My wife has a modern Macbook for her work and wishes to share one monitor/keyboard/mouse across this and her personal Windows PC. Her Macbook has nothing but USB-C looking ports...her Windows PC can support displayport, hdmi, DVI. She has dual monitors for her Macbook setup, but just needs to share one of them. Is there a recommended device to accomplish this? Is it possible to use wireless mice/keyboard on KVM or will we need to go standard USB? Thanks!
swagfan
I have been using this for years, takes a bit of setup, but works incredibly well: https://symless.com/synergy

I have both mac and pc.
SJEAg
AG
That looks pretty cool, but don't think she is going to want to install software on her Mac...not sure of the work policies there and she is new to the company.
Caesar4
AG
I would think you would simply want a KVM switch. Checkout Amazon
SJEAg
AG
I think I do, but wasn't sure what would work best with the Mac/Windows mix or if there was a specific recommendation. Last time I messed with a switch everything was VGA or maybe DVI. Not sure if introducing adapters and stuff work well, and if so, just want some confirmation.
Caesar4
AG
I haven't tried it either for some time. Here's what I would do.

1. Buy Apple USB-C adapter. It connects to the macbook via USB-C and on the other side it has USB-C, HDMI, and USB-A (the standard/common type). I've used this exact model at work and at two different work areas at home. Works great. https://www.apple.com/us_epp_801309/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=8b

2. Buy an HDMI KVM switch. Here are some, in no particular order, that I found that I *think* would work. But, keep your packaging in case there are problems.
SJEAg
AG
Thanks! going to give option 4 a shot
MGS
By the way, make you sure you get the new version of the Apple USB-C adapter that supports 4k@60z. There's an old model out there that does not.
Caesar4
AG
MGS said:

By the way, make you sure you get the new version of the Apple USB-C adapter that supports 4k@60z. There's an old model out there that does not.
Looks like the one linked to above does
Quote:

3840x2160 at 60Hz on:
Pad Pro 11-inch, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd Generation), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017 and later), iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 and later), iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017 and later), and iMac Pro (2018)
But I'm not very experienced with 4K (I don't even know what 4-Potassium means. )

Caesar4
AG
Just had a thought (probably not much of a concern for your wife though).

The mac keyboard has some keys that are unique to a Mac, e.g. volume up/down, brightness up/down, command (formerly known as open/apple), option, etc. I'm not sure how those would map to a generic keyboard. But, again, probably not a concern for her because she still has the macbook built-in keyboard.
MGS
Caesar4 said:

MGS said:

Looks like the one linked to above does
Quote:

3840x2160 at 60Hz on:
Pad Pro 11-inch, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd Generation), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017 and later), iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 and later), iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017 and later), and iMac Pro (2018)
But I'm not very experienced with 4K (I don't even know what 4-Potassium means. )

Yeah, if you order direct from Apple, you're certain to get the right one. Just be careful it you pick it up at the local electronics or office supply store.
fooz
https://www.sharemouse.com/mouse-without-borders-mac/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.