I need a sound person

1,112 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by G. hirsutum Ag
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some help tracing out and killing some static inside my system at my church. I've got a bit of a complicated setup so might be best to go over it over email. If you could help me some I would be very grateful. Email is in profile. Sample audio clip below

agdoc2001
AG
Send email and video clip to Rob at AVRant. Super nice guy who can get you pointed in the right direction.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bobcat-Ag
What are you using for the out on your board? 1/4" cable? XLR cable? What program are you using to either record or live strearm? Most of the programs have a noise suppression filter which will help until you can trace the static.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Sound coming in is senheiser wireless with countryman head sets into a berhinger X32. Run XLR out into a berhinger digitizer to convert to USB. I bring the audio into a windows PC running VMix (digitizer recommended by VMix) and have equilizer APO/peace running on the PC along with equiizers in VMix. Have some noise gate turned on but it's way down at negative 95. The sound only seems to be coming in when someone is talking. I've pretty well isolated it to 2000-4000 hertz but when I kill that range it kills the singing at church for the females. If I can zero in some more maybe it won't kill the singing as bad
Bobcat-Ag
So, I don't see an easy answer. The below link describes what I think you are experiencing. A ground loop. It could also be interference with the wireless mic. You try to isolate which mic has the issue and change the channel on the mic.

https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t12524-Audio-Noise-when-adding-Audio-input-from-Mixer
Koko Chingo
AG
Ground loop, wireless mic out of range, or bad cable is my first though but I have not seen it.

Maybe I am wrong I though you could get audio out over USB natively on the X32? That seems like the way to go versus digitizing an output from your mains or an aux.

Did this problem just start or was something changed / installed and now you have a problem?

Try some easy things first:

---You mention the wireless mic. Has that always been plugged into the board before the problems? If you think it is suspect try unplugging it from the board completely and also unplugging it. Test your sound with a wired mic / instrument etc to see if the static goes away.

---Disconnect all outputs from the board and monitor from headphones only. Does the static go away? If so plug things back in one at a time. Make sure things are powered/turned down that will pop if plugged in hot. Start with any aux outs then end with your mains until you find the culprit.

---If the static is still there do the same thing with inputs. You can either have them all unplugged and plug in one at a time or all plugged in and unplug one thing at a time.

If it persists the it is could be common devices like the X32, but not the most likely thing to fail.

Lots of churches are having hiccups because of the sudden change to streaming try Reddit for advice too --
https://www.reddit.com/r/churchtech/

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The monitor coming off of the sound board either solo on the microphones or solo to the output or any of them has zero static. We searched the back of the board and didn't see a native out. You would think the X32 has it but ours is older so maybe not. Originally we ran XLR to 1/4" headphone jack about two years ago into the VMix PC and it had a lot of static so VMix recommended that we go with the digitizer. It made it a lot better. To be clear I only hear the static coming in inside the PC, it's both on the headphone monitors, the internal recording (from the video posted) and on the HDMI output into our encoder. It is light years better than it was and in a normal church service it isn't noticeable. But the above format is new for us and we want to go into more of a podcast type format without video soon (olds being olds wanted something to see). These videos are quieter in general and folks talk differently so the static is more noticeable. I'm probably being a perfectionist about it but I'm proud of the product we put out and I want it better. We've been doing this for a while so luckily we were prepped and ready for this distance thing but we don't have an unlimited budget so we have to work with what we have.
Bobcat-Ag
Do you have a headphone jack on the digitizer? Do you hear the static there?

Could be just pushing up the gain to the mix out in order to get a better signal to the computer will work, or the issue is in the computer.

You sound like you are ahead of us. We had to scramble a bit to get it set up. We are doing some good work now, but there was some trial and error.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
That's a good idea. There is a monitor on there. I'll see if I can't get setup for that.

Yes our setup works pretty well and we put out a really good product every week. We are pre recording everything right now and it is an astronomical amount of work. We are doing a Wednesday night and Friday night discussion like above and an abbreviated Sunday service. So we are recording 3 days a week plus capturing videos from our licensed sources and running production on all of that. The bi-weekly discussions are pretty simple but it still takes time and I'm just a volunteer but it is my baby.

The biggest things that have helped us tremendously is BoxCast and VMix. BC is absolutely incredible and very very powerful. VMix is pricy at first but very stable and easy to use. OBS has a steep learning curve and I didn't care for it. But taking the encoding burden off of my machine and using a dedicated encoder has made all the difference
Bobcat-Ag
We started with OBS and had mixed results. This week we are switching to wirecast and the testing results so far are much better. We will know more tonight.

We live stream rather than pre recording. I imagine that recording would give you too much time in post production. I know I would spend too much time tinkering with everything.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It isn't 100% but I made it significantly better. Guy who set up my routing and normal sound guy had the levels pulled back and was running auto gain inside the program and it was amplifying EVERYTHING. Turned that off, cut the gain down to 0db, pumped the volume to normal levels and boom its practically gone now. There is still static still but that is kind of inherent in our system but at least on the monitors it is practically impossible to hear unless you are really listening for it. Thanks for the help
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.