The Last of Us: Part II Delayed Indefinitely

1,047 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
Chase McGuire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wangus12
AG
Not surprising
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just came to post this. Corona has officially crossed the line.
fig96
AG
From what I've read about working conditions at Naughty Dog, this is probably for the better.
Fenrir
Game is basically done. The issue is getting physical copies made, shipped, and sold in sufficient quantities to justify releasing it right now. Expect a lot more to be delayed if this continues.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
A game about surviving a global pandemic delayed by a global pandemic..........
aggiebq03+
Is the physical disk they are having logistics problems with only going to force people to download the bulk of the game from online anyway? Seems they could get plenty of sales still from downloads with the right marketing campaign.
jokershady
AG

Seriously this is actually the second time they've delayed the release date
dragmagpuff
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Is the physical disk they are having logistics problems with only going to force people to download the bulk of the game from online anyway? Seems they could get plenty of sales still from downloads with the right marketing campaign.
But what do you market on? No one is going places, there aren't live sports, or movies. People who talk about the game on internet forums aren't who they need to reach.

Here's what Sony did for marketing Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog's last game.

It's probably hard to get an effective marketing campaign with everyone at home.

Also, its probably a bad idea to anger your retail partners in a console release year (assuming no delay).
YouBet
AG
I don't understand this decision at all. So, they would rather make no money and earn 0% ROI rather than less than ideal ROI. They are effectively just looking at this as a sunk cost and moving on.
Cromagnum
AG
Sell it digital and then offer a disc when supply chain makes more sense. It's not hard.
YouBet
AG
Cromagnum said:

Sell it digital and then offer a disc when supply chain makes more sense. It's not hard.
My point. Nonsensical decision here.

I haven't purchased a physical disc in close to a decade. Is physical media still really that prevalent to delay a finished A+ title?
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

Cromagnum said:

My point. Nonsensical decision here.

I haven't purchased a physical disc in close to a decade. Is physical media still really that prevalent to delay a finished A+ title?
A bit of research indicates that the numbers are actually a lot closer than you'd think when looking at physical vs digital game sales.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/physical-video-games-death-disc-digital-1203207513/
Fenrir
What? They are going to release it so not sure how you're claiming a 0% ROI and they view it as a sunk cost so they're moving on. It's being delayed and they don't know when it will be released because they don't know when the current restraints will be lifted.

It's going to take a hit but they're hedging their bets that they will make more money waiting than releasing now. There is zero chance they just don't release this.
fig96
AG
Fenrir said:

Game is basically done. The issue is getting physical copies made, shipped, and sold in sufficient quantities to justify releasing it right now. Expect a lot more to be delayed if this continues.
Probably true.

I've got a few friends at AAA studios and they're working from home pretty seamlessly, so the only real hold up will probably be in production of physical media.
ravingfans
AG

HalifaxAg
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

A game about surviving a global pandemic delayed by a global pandemic..........
I've been really enjoying Division 2 for the same reason
YouBet
AG
Fenrir said:

What? They are going to release it so not sure how you're claiming a 0% ROI and they view it as a sunk cost so they're moving on. It's being delayed and they don't know when it will be released because they don't know when the current restraints will be lifted.

It's going to take a hit but they're hedging their bets that they will make more money waiting than releasing now. There is zero chance they just don't release this.
I guess my point is a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. But it's also been shown after the fact that physical media sales are still much higher as a % of sales than I thought they were. If that's the case, maybe its better to wait and tie your marketing to that. I'm admittedly oblivious to the physical media side of this space as I would never purchase a CD again and haven't in eons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.