Beginner Guitar Recommendations

2,878 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pac1698
Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With all this free time I was thinking about getting a guitar and learning to play it with my 10 year old.

We saw an ad for the chord buddy and I want to know if anyone has used it what they think.

If I buy one it will probably be sized for my kid if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
Cartographer
Tons of free videos on YouTube. Your biggest battle is building the calluses.

Take the time to practice chords and strumming until you can switch.

Good luck. If you can get past week 1, you should have a new habit.

I don't know about the chord buddy. I learned in the 90's.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I bought into the Instrument Bible Kickstarter. Hoping that helps me learn.
Vade281
AG
Fender is doing a free 90 days of lessons!

https://www.fender.com/play
caleblyn
My son takes lessons weekly. We also got him a script t Yousician. I stumbled onto a fantastic deal when I was in Puerto Vallarta for Thanksgiving. I had to pay in Pesos but was able to get it for $50 for one year. Anyhow, he has picked it up quite well. Yousican is similar to Guitar Hero where it feels like a game. I had not seen him play the app in a long time until just recently and he was playing pretty complex songs. I heard him play, "Yellow," by Coldplay and I actually recognized the song. lol

hth
Quad Dog
AG
I've tried and failed to teach myself guitar more than once, maybe I'll try again. I struggle with the D chord, it's supposed to be a fundamental chord and I always mute the high E string. That pisses me off and I stop.
https://www.justinguitar.com/ is always highly recommended online.
Article 58-10 Offender
Quad Dog said:

I've tried and failed to teach myself guitar more than once, maybe I'll try again. I struggle with the D chord, it's supposed to be a fundamental chord and I always mute the high E string. That pisses me off and I stop.
https://www.justinguitar.com/ is always highly recommended online.
same here. but I've kept my guitar faithfully sitting in the corner of the guest room like I'm a musician.

maybe it's time to start again.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Play it like this until your fingers get used to playing guitar. Eventually the normal D chord will be easy.

x
x

Pointer finger on 5th fret. The tip of it will mute the string closest to your face. Ring finger barred across the 7th. The flesh from your fat hands will mute the e furthest from your face

It also teaches you bar chords.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
My brother has been playing for about 10 years now, and I've been playing for 6, but he recently recommended Yousician to me. I always compare how good I am versus how good he is. Over the past year and a half that he has been using it his improvement compared to mine is blowing me away.

I learned just from finding country songs I liked and watching how to play. That's probably not the smartest or best way to learn, but it kept me entertained.
Quad Dog
AG
Thanks for the tip. My struggles with one chord also makes for a convenient excuse to be lazy too.
However, I have been playing some piano and am making better progress with that. Learning the bass clef was easier than I thought it would be.
Signel
AG
I'd suggest starting with a nylon string guitar for ease of chord formation. Start with a few major chords and learn a few 3 chord songs. From there it will be easy.
Garrelli 5000
AG
For the Chord Buddy - at first glance I thought it was a horrible and isn't teaching anything. An argument could be made it allows you to learn to strum while still playing something that sounds "musical". Then you can focus on only 1 aspect of playing the guitar.

Strumming smoothly, learning how to grip the pick in a manner that it freely flows up and down across the strings, and the muscle memory to play all 6, bottom 5, middle 4, etc., is challenging.

That being the case - it might have value.

However - as soon as you learn how to strum, smash it w/a hammer. You won't forget how to strum once you've learned. You might not be as fast if you go months/years w/out playing, but you'll quickly get back up to speed. Otherwise you'll keep using the chord buddy and never learn how to actually play the guitar.

TexLeoAg
Certainly not an expert here... But, I would buy used. I wouldn't worry about one brand over another. I would heavily recommend to buy something with a low action (strings closer to the fret board). I had a lot of fun with the Taylor Mini / travel guitar. I am thinking it would be a lot more easier for your little person to handle and it's not terribly expensive. But, the fret board is a bit short. I would also recommend to not get an "el-cheap" and expect to have much fun. I learned on one, but had some prior experience which made it bearable for the short go. Also, consider doing some live online lessons from an actual instructor. Keeps you accountable for learning the weeks lesson and moving into another.

Sorry my post is all jumbled and goofy.

Good luck! I am considering doing the same thing with my kiddo.
TecRecAg
AG
Just learn G, C, D, Em. Be able to switch between the 4 of them quickly and you'll know about 95% of every pop song ever.
Cartographer
TexLeoAg said:

Certainly not an expert here... But, I would buy used. I wouldn't worry about one brand over another. I would heavily recommend to buy something with a low action (strings closer to the fret board). I had a lot of fun with the Taylor Mini / travel guitar. I am thinking it would be a lot more easier for your little person to handle and it's not terribly expensive. But, the fret board is a bit short. I would also recommend to not get an "el-cheap" and expect to have much fun. I learned on one, but had some prior experience which made it bearable for the short go. Also, consider doing some live online lessons from an actual instructor. Keeps you accountable for learning the weeks lesson and moving into another.

Sorry my post is all jumbled and goofy.

Good luck! I am considering doing the same thing with my kiddo.
All of this. I own and have played several Taylor GS-Mini Guitars. This is an excellent guitar for the price and you will not have to buy another one within your first year.

The point about low action (strings closer to the frets) can't be stressed enough. If you are playing a guitar that is cumbersome for a seasoned player, you're making the whole thing harder on yourself than you need.

Also, if you go the route of a cheaper guitar, you're very likely (should you take to it) to make a second guitar purchase within a year. So add the two together and you're better off going for the better guitar out of the gate.

The guitar I own which is what was referenced above.

I can also vouch for this source. They will treat you right when it comes to buying instruments.

Dad
AG
Thanks for the tips.

I ended up buying a Yamaha JR2 and not getting the chord buddy.

We are going to try that free fender app and youtube and try to learn those four chords that way.

I am mostly not working (emergencies only) so I guess this will be their music class until I go back and they go back to school.

I am going to try to learn too on that guitar. I am left handed and they are right but I will try to learn right handed so I don't spend more money. I am not far from ambidextrous so it should be okay.
aggiebonzo
AG
TecRecAg said:

Just learn G, C, D, Em. Be able to switch between the 4 of them quickly and you'll know about 95% of every pop song ever.

Take away Em and know 95% of country songs ever
Dad
AG
panduh bear said:

Tons of free videos on YouTube. Your biggest battle is building the calluses.

Take the time to practice chords and strumming until you can switch.

Good luck. If you can get past week 1, you should have a new habit.

I don't know about the chord buddy. I learned in the 90's.

We got it today and practiced a handful of chords and switching between them for hours.

My kid wants to learn a simple song so we ended up practicing Stand By Me from youtube until our fingers hurt. Now I know what you mean about calluses. I've never messed with a guitar for more than 5 minutes before today.
Cartographer
Fantastic!

Just stick with it. Kids seem to care less about the pain if they can hear the song they are learning in what they play.

I used to play until my fingers were red and I couldn't feel it but I loved every second of it.

Don't do what I did though. 30 mins a day will be more than enough to be strumming songs in a few weeks.
Garrelli 5000
AG
It's awesome how much you'll play once you have calluses and some muscle memory. Like a runner's high, you'll zone in during a playing session and suddenly feel your fret hand and pick hand just relax and flow, awesomely in-sync.
Sq1dvm
AG
Fellow beginner here with a question for experienced folks.
I broke a tuning peg off my acoustic (more precisely my crazy dog broke a tuning peg off). It looks pretty straightforward to change out. Is it as easy as it looks or should I take it to a shop and have them do it?
AggieFlyboy
AG
Sq1dvm said:

Fellow beginner here with a question for experienced folks.
I broke a tuning peg off my acoustic (more precisely my crazy dog broke a tuning peg off). It looks pretty straightforward to change out. Is it as easy as it looks or should I take it to a shop and have them do it?
It's as easy as it looks, but if you switch one, you should switch all of them
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm not a guitarist (a keyboard, brass and drum guy), though I can strum a little and play through a few sing-a-longs (think campfire type stuff). A lot of people are going to freak out when they hear this term, but don't: familiarize yourself with a little music theory. It isn't theory as in economic theory or theory vs. practice but music theory IS music. In fact, its better termed as harmony (more than one note played at the same time) and that's what you're doing on a guitar with chords and strumming -- playing harmony. Get familiar with 1, 4, and 5 chords, which are the major chords of any key (i.e., in the key of C, C major is 1, F major is 4, and G major is 5). On the guitar, the easiest keys I found to play in are G, D, and A, and you shouldn't have too much trouble putting most songs in one of those keys. Not sure why some of you are having trouble with the D chord; it isn't a barre chord or hard to play at all. Keep in mind that there are different forms of most chords.

If what I wrote in the last 2-3 sentences there isn't familiar to you, that is some basic music theory you can pick up on the internet in a Saturday afternoon.

Here's a book you might check out. I have not used it but is is written by a guy who collaborated on another similar book with a guy who I took a class from.

https://www.amazon.com/Everybodys-Guitar-Method-Book-1/dp/1569392811/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/147-8269156-8163565?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1569392811&pd_rd_r=f0d7774d-6f00-42a8-9ca9-20f78c264ee8&pd_rd_w=7VDYZ&pd_rd_wg=5LIZO&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=FJZHXR1GK6RE34DZHVGP&psc=1&refRID=FJZHXR1GK6RE34DZHVGP

As far as guitars themselves, look on Facebook marketplace for a good used Epiphone, Takamine, or Seagull. If you find one that you think sounds good, then get that one regardless of brand. If you find one that, to you, feels good to play, then get that. I used to have a Rhode Island made Guild that, to me, sounded better than 2K Taylors even though mine was less than 1K. I would also recommend Elixir light strings to start out with.
DallasTeleAg
Always play a guitar before purchasing and always purchase used until you decide it is going to be something you do for a long time. Hell, even then, I purchase used if I can. The great thing about used guitars is that they don't really ever go down in value, as long as you take care of them. You could keep buying and selling used guitars once a month for 3 years and never spend more than the cost of that first guitar.

If you do buy a guitar, buy one you like the look and feel of; and always keep it on a stand in a room you frequent. If you see it out and like the way it looks, you are more apt to pick it up and play it. Do not store it in a case, in the closet.

If you are playing electric and start to really get into it, your first mid-range purchase should be a decent amp. Too many people worry about the guitar itself, but the amp will have a greater affect on what you sound like (second to your actual skill). You could pick up a $300-$500 Epiphone that plays great, and it would sound great through a decent amp. Swap the pickups on the Epiphone, and you are set for a while. To be honest, I much prefer the Fender Made in Mexico line as opposed to the Epiphone line, if we are talking low cost electric guitars. I think they are better built and sound better, but it's all subjective.

Hell, you could find a used Mexican Strat and a used Fender Blues Jr for under $900. That is a great low-mid-range setup and would sound killer.
91AggieLawyer
AG
One thing I forgot to mention when you get your guitar: chords are great and all, as Eddie Van Halen showed us, the guitar will also play single notes very effectively. There's a practice routine that will not only help with this but will also help with finger dexterity. On the bottom string, position your 4 fingers on the first four frets (index on the first, middle on second, etc.). Start with your little finger only on the string and play the string. Then move "inward" with your ring finger, but this time, make the pick move up instead of down. Then the middle, then the index with the down up picking as before. Start this slowly and practice it for a while. When you get to where you can do it on the bottom string, start moving up the strings in tempo the same way -- starting outward and working inward.

I found this exercise very useful.
DallasTeleAg
Yep. Also, while doing this, don't try to keep your other fingers where they are until you have to move them. Helps you learn to avoid muting strings you don't want to.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Want to add one thing here. If you're serious about learning to play any instrument, please learn to read music. It isn't difficult and can avoid some embarrassment at some point. This morning at church (where I play percussion) we have a guitar player who's REALLY good. This guy is probably mid to late 20s and has obviously been playing for a long time -- minimum 15 years. Anyway, he was sitting out one piece and I asked him if he could look over one of my parts and identify the measures where I had a cymbal roll -- I had 2 different parts on the same song; one had cymbals and chimes and the other had timpani, which is what I was playing. I wanted to see if I could hand mark the cymbal rolls into my timpani part in case I could cover them -- turns out, I couldn't. But he said, "no, I don't think I can do that; I really can't read music!" I was astounded. In todays day and age. This guy has the chops to be in a high level university jazz band and couldn't even get an audition due to his lack of basic skills.

Its one thing if you don't know what the difference between a French and German augmented 6th chord is or how to analyze Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky, but you're going to enjoy the experience so much more if you learn the basic skills. Sort of like owning a car and not having it insured (or having a license to drive it).
DallasTeleAg
That's a huge hole to go down into if you are only looking to play guitar, for fun. If you truly want to be a great session guitarist, then I would agree with you.

And what level of reading music would you say is recommended for someone who just wants to play guitar? The ability to work out what their looking at, or the ability to truly sight read in real time? The latter would take YEARS to accomplish. The former would take several weeks of consistent study.

I would say learning your scales, chords, and circle of 5ths would be much more beneficial for someone just looking to enjoy guitar.
Johnsy3
AG
Any updates?

The only advice I can add is stick with it. I've been a drummer for almost 18 years at this point but always wanted to play guitar too. Finally pulled the trigger about 6 years when the wife and I lived in an apartment and my set was in her parent's spare bedroom.
I'm a righty but play lefty guitar - idk, it just feels more natural to me.
DallasTeleAg
He's a witch!!!
Bryan98
AG
That's not embarrassing. I don't know one guitar player who can read music, and I know several who can play darn near anything. I don't know any pros, but I'll bet many or most can't read music, either.
91AggieLawyer
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

That's a huge hole to go down into if you are only looking to play guitar, for fun. If you truly want to be a great session guitarist, then I would agree with you.

And what level of reading music would you say is recommended for someone who just wants to play guitar? The ability to work out what their looking at, or the ability to truly sight read in real time? The latter would take YEARS to accomplish. The former would take several weeks of consistent study.

I would say learning your scales, chords, and circle of 5ths would be much more beneficial for someone just looking to enjoy guitar.
You've asked a good question. Reading music and sight reading proficiently are 2 very different things. I've been reading music since I was 6. I've been playing piano, off and on, since shortly after that. I can play several instruments and can sight read on some but can't on others (including piano). Real time? Forget it -- UNLESS you let me set the tempo so ridiculously slow it is not worth listening to. Think of the "Minute Waltz" in a day and a half! So you're really talking about 2 different things.

Learn the basics -- notation, staff notes (treble clef is OK, unless you're playing bass guitar), key signatures (start with keys with sharps -- G, D, A, etc.). Be able to look at some sheet music and determine the following: key, time sig, some chords (this is where bass clef comes in handy). There are online resources that can get you up to speed on this quick.
Pac1698
AG
Just wanted to add to the discussion. Two of my favorite online teachers are Justin guitar (someone referenced him above) and a guy named carl brown who can be found on youtube searching for guitar365. I'm self taught and have played for 22 years (learned to play from guitar tab found at half price books). I also found that the CAGED system helped me to really understand the fret board and chord shapes. Whatever method you try, just stick with it. I'm not musically gifted, but persistence has allowed me to be able to play most songs that I enjoy.

Also Rick Beato makes some really awesome videos that are called "What makes this song great". He breaks down the vocals and all the instruments, shows the chord progressions and explains the theory.
DallasTeleAg
There are a lot of great YouTube guitar channels. My favs are Paul Davids, Rick Beato, Rhett Shull, Pete Thorn, and That Pedal Show.

Those aren't really teaching guitar, but they always have very useful videos.

And if the recommendation is at least be able to work out sheet music, then I don't think that's bad advice. I would say that learning your circle of 5ths is probably one of the most important pieces of music theory for guitar, outside of learning scale shapes.

Pac1698
AG
Yep, and I really enjoy Paul Davids YouTube channel!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.